bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Opinions on the latest from Marie Kondo?

We've talked about Marie Kondo before! I thought it might be interesting to get perspectives on her latest:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...idying-at-home

I know some people are angry over this! I think it just makes me love her more. I have to say, my life was never as organized as hers but I still found her inspirational and some of her concepts have redefined how I feel about stuff. Like, truly that book was a real blessing in my life in a lot of ways.

I think it is daring and actually charming that she has been honest enough to admit that things changed with multiple children! AND I will say this, she just needs to wait a few years and she can be tidy again. Things were really rough with my four kids when the youngest were babies and toddlers but as they've all gotten older, I live with order again. It was all worth it. And it was all made better with some of Marie Kondo's concepts!

What are your thoughts?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love her for it. Keepin it real!

for Sandy Hook

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm thinking that her version of untidy is probably still way tidier than mine! It takes guts to admit things change.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I'm thinking that her version of untidy is probably still way tidier than mine! It takes guts to admit things change.
    Yes! I have a feeling her "untidy" is not even close to a normal untidy. She can't have that many things in her house to get untidy. However, I do love that she admits that things change with seasons of life and that's ok. No matter what your definition of tidy is, I appreciate that she shared with us. Maybe it'll help people not feel so much pressure to have a "perfect" house all the time.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Good for her, and her kids. Lol. It would be hard to have a mom that intense about tidiness as a kid.

She did have a pretty hard stance about how it could be with kids (before she was even a parent) though, so I think that's why people are kinda annoyed. I don't get being angry angry about it, but I do understand why some are like "told ya so".

She is really, really hardwired to want be tidy, she talked about it ALWAYS being something she fretted about and tried to solve in various ways since she was a child herself.

I'm glad she made an empire from it, but it did seem to border on being a negative compulsion. I'm very glad for her family that she's cut loose a bit. (I'm sure it's a TINY bit, but still.)

I think anyone with kids is laughing about it. It’s impossible to have a tidy home and keep your sanity when you have a bunch of kids, especially if one has ADHD or doesn’t have ADHD. Most kids are packrats and have emotional attachments to things like sticks and pine cones and oriental trading junk that comes in goodie bags or as a reward at school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No that my kids are older, it’s definitely easier! Too easy… ds2 said he doesn’t feel comfortable having friends over because our house is too neat and he’s afraid they’ll mess it up. So, truly, you can never win! On the upside, dh and I get a good laugh out of the idea that our house is neat! On a continuum it might rank a 7 out of 10? I can get it to a 9.5 but if you just showed up it’d be a 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I was one of those people who laughed at her when she came out with it. Def seemed to be OCD, and recall feeling kinda sorry for her kids or anyone kids who have to grow up in such a rigid household. No way of knowing she is actually rigid though, so I gave kudos for being honest cuz it is hard if not near impossible when your kids are still so little.

I do love her minimalist approach though because as a society, we do consume and keep way too much stuff than necessary. It isn’t good for the Earth, and can relate to her unease with too much stuff. I grew up with a clean hoarder and it isn’t fun at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

She's one of us! Love it!