Default Now We are Looking at Puerta Vallarta

So PV is like a 3 or 4 hour direct flight for us. This would be for our family of 4--kids are all over 18 so we pay for adults. This would be for the week between xmas and New years--yep high season. So we can't really afford an amazing resort. Looking for something a notch down that we could then afford. We would want to snorkel 2 days, visit the Botanical Gardens, do a food tour that a friend of mine highly recommended, and see some other sights.

Any ideas? Places to stay? I know this is really not a plan, but I am interested in people's experience with PV. Thanks!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Go to Sayulita and rent a house! It's a fun, funky little surf town not far from PV. Lots of range of accommodations. Good food, fun shops. If you rent a car you'll have proximity to lots of fun places to explore.

I've stayed in PV proper too and it's fun (the old town is super cute), but I like the beach towns north and south of PV proper way more - nicer beaches and not as built up/crowded. You could always stay a night or two in PV and then branch out to fill out your week.

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    Go to Sayulita and rent a house! It's a fun, funky little surf town not far from PV. Lots of range of accommodations. Good food, fun shops. If you rent a car you'll have proximity to lots of fun places to explore.

I've stayed in PV proper too and it's fun (the old town is super cute), but I like the beach towns north and south of PV proper way more - nicer beaches and not as built up/crowded. You could always stay a night or two in PV and then branch out to fill out your week.
    I know several people who like Sayulita. Our issue is--wait for it--we are not big beach people. So I wanted to stay somewhere where we could see and do other things. It would probably just be for 3 days plus travel on either end. I think there would enough in PV to do.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I know several people who like Sayulita. Our issue is--wait for it--we are not big beach people. So I wanted to stay somewhere where we could see and do other things. It would probably just be for 3 days plus travel on either end. I think there would enough in PV to do.
    Ah. In that case, then yes, stay right in PV. We aren't lay on the beach people, but we are get in the water people so beach towns are great for us and I tend to like less built up areas. I was in PV a few years back with DD for a choir performance and we went whale watching and it was great - we left right from the town. Good even for non-beach folks, I'd think!

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    Ah. In that case, then yes, stay right in PV. We aren't lay on the beach people, but we are get in the water people so beach towns are great for us and I tend to like less built up areas. I was in PV a few years back with DD for a choir performance and we went whale watching and it was great - we left right from the town. Good even for non-beach folks, I'd think!
    ok thanks!! I would really rather go to Belize, but we will see!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05