Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Hormone Replacement Therapy for Menopause?

I had a hysterectomy back in September 2019 due to my horrible periods that lasted for weeks. It was a partial. Ovaries were left inside.

Fast forward to December 2022, I told my doctor that I was fairly sure I'm in menopause. She pretty much
    dismissed it. I pushed for a blood test. According to my FSH and Estradiol numbers, I'm POST-menopausal. She called me to discuss
    the results.

She asked if I would like to try Hormone Replacement Therapy. I have no idea what to do.

Any recommendations? suggestions?
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What symptoms are you having? Are there specific areas of concern?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following this. I am curious too as I’m also considering the same. DH happened to came across a podcast (i think it was political gabfest) where they happened to discuss HRT and menopause, and it noted how HRT can be beneficial for women who are post-menopausal, especially those who got it relatively early. Mentioned how for a while people/doctors were wary/scared of HRT but that turns out the benefits can really outweigh the risks in many case.

Not to hijack, but in my case, i feel like my memory has gotten horrible since menopause and I’m wondering if HRT could help with that

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This recently came up and someone posted some great resources including an article that talked about the history of HRT. You can read about it here:

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...s-anyone-tried

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I started low-dose MHT a few months ago and it’s been life changing - mostly in terms of just getting back to feeling “normal” again. No more sleep disruptions, random anxiety attacks, brain fog, month-long periods…I just feel like me.

I have a wonderful GYN who walked me through the options, risks, benefits, and started me on a low dose, which turned out to be the right dose for me as a late 40s woman in peri menopause. If you have a doctor who is talking to you about HRT/MHT then that's a great start. I had about 3-4 meetings with my GYN and several exchanges via messages before taking the leap.

The amazing thing about not having a uterus is you don’t have to worry about uterine cancer risks, meaning you can take estrogen without progesterone.

Some resources:
    KQED podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000598938487

NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/01/m...e-therapy.html

Jen Gunter’s book Menopause Manifesto and her sub stack The Vagenda and IG
    Last edited by citymama; 02-14-2023 at 02:50 AM.