Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default One-piece bathing suit for a 13yr old?

DD2 is in 7th grade and the school's required swim unit for PE begins the first week of March. They require the girls to wear a one piece suit. DD is 4'11" and 95ish pounds, so a sz14 ish in girls section and 000/xxs/xxxs in teens (like American Eagle). She also has A cup boobs. She hates one piece suits because it is so hard to find something that fits her tiny frame that feels age appropriate for a teen and provides padding/modesty on top. I hate the idea of having to spend money on a suit for what will amount to 6 PE classes that I know she will not wear again.

Any suggestions? The Athleta Girls ones say they have padded bra area but gosh $55 for a suit that she's not going to wear again is not great. Looked at my local Target and ON and everything that would fit her is too juvenile. Any suggestions?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Swim Outlet

Do you have a swim store nearby? If so, go there and ask for a practice suit. I wouldn’t worry about modesty padding. All swim team teen girls wear typical one pieces: speedo, tyr, arena…jolyn is the most popular but they are pricey.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also had boobs (though I think I was a B-cup) at 13, but I swam competitively & lived in Speedo & TYR suits.

Heck, I was still wearing Speedo suits well into my 30s.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would look at Dick’s Sporting Goods. My 14 year old won’t wear a two piece and I had luck finding options there last summer. Speedos. It also some other cheaper brands of athletic style suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Do you have a swim store nearby? If so, go there and ask for a practice suit. I wouldn’t worry about modesty padding. All swim team teen girls wear typical one pieces: speedo, tyr, arena…jolyn is the most popular but they are pricey.
    I would definitely defer to DD's wishes on the modesty padding. That is something that is really important to a lot of tweens/teens (and still to me in my 40's), and I would not hesitate to pay more for something my DD would feel comfortable wearing.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think her desire for the padding is that the youth swimsuits tend to be in colors/patterns that really show nipples and she doesn't want that. I was with her last summer when she tried some on and was like wow, is that noticeable! If this were a swim team where everyone is basically focused on the task at hand, I don't think she'd care as much. But PE class with 7th grade boys/girls who are all just sizing each other up and hardly anyone is taking it seriously is another story. And her grade level cohort (which is ~60 kids) is, in the words of the guidance counselor, one of the worst the school has dealt with in a long time.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Would she be allowed to wear a bikini top underneath a short sleeve rash guard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Swim team store, they fit super tight, the patterned ones will hide the nipples, they usually have older patterns on sale for 20.00.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Swim suits need to fit super tight when dry, as they stretch when wet, they will seem too small.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast