Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default No complaints about food!

Had a chore chart when my kids were 5 and 3 and one of the chores was no complaints about food. They never have to eat anything they don’t want but I found complaining about food that has been prepared to be super annoying. Fast forward 10 years and I can say I very rarely hear complaints about food from my DC. DH is a different story “Do you have different buns?” “Oh, I had pork at lunch.” grrrr………

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I hear you on the picky DH. I was just talking to my sister about this. I feel like my DH is one of those high maintenance types that thinks he’s low maintenance…the worst kind. He claims he will eat anything, but then he has these annoying complaints…”the prosciutto has too much fat on it.”
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love the idea of "no complaints about food" as a chore! Fortunately my DGDs would do well with that one

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I hear you on the picky DH. I was just talking to my sister about this. I feel like my DH is one of those high maintenance types that thinks he’s low maintenance…the worst kind. He claims he will eat anything, but then he has these annoying complaints…”the prosciutto has too much fat on it.”
    Slightly off topic (sorry, OP!), but mine thinks he’s a zen minimalist when he’s actually NOT (and I won’t actually get into ALL the ways he’s NOT, since it’s not the main topic of this thread).

Back on topic, but related to my previous post: He recently bought too much food: 2.5 lbs of prawns, 10+ lbs of pork chops, and a family reunion sized pack of chicken legs. We are a family and of 4 (the kids are in elementary, so not big eaters) and we never have dinner guests. The other night he expected pork chops, but I had put those in the freezer and made the chicken so it wouldn’t spoil. He fussed and complained all night and is still grumbling about it days later. I feel ya, OP!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default No complaints about food!

Early on in our marriage, DH would say “oh I had chicken for lunch” - his work provides lunch. I told him I wasn’t a mind reader to know what he had for lunch. And if he didn’t like what I made for dinner, he didn’t need to eat it and he could make his own dinner. He knew where the kitchen was. And I sat down. I’m Australian so the language would’ve been more colorful than what I wrote here.

Anyways, he no longer complains.

DS did it once about breakfast - didn’t want eggs and bacon. He was old enough to make his own breakfast and was told to do just that.

I’m not a short-order cook and seeing I now get home late (7pm) dinner is whatever is quickest to make. You get what you get and you don’t get upset when you did nothing to make the meal

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    ... I feel like my DH is one of those high maintenance types that thinks he’s low maintenance…the worst kind. He claims he will eat anything, but then he has these annoying complaints…”the prosciutto has too much fat on it.”
    Mine, too.

He has issues with certain flavors and textures, but still describes himself as "will eat anything." In fairness, he will try just about anything, but he absolutely will NOT eat anything.

I used to really enjoy trying my hand at making new-to-me flavors & dishes at home, but now? We have a set rotation of meals because it's no fun cooking something adventurous when I'm the only person who's going to end up eating it.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yup. DH is completely into healthy clean eating - keto, grass fed meat, no carbs, no sugar, etc etc. I always get "what's in here" as if I'm not aware and just going along dumping tablespoons of sugar and canola oil into pasta and trying to serve it to him (I'm not doing either). Today it was "why did you buy this bacon it has sugar in it." Um I bought it bc I didn't check - my bad.

My other favorite - oh, chicken again?
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    My other favorite - oh, chicken again?
    I get this too! What’s for dinner? Oh…. I now answer that question with “Dinner.”

DH complained about my cooking when we first got married so I relinquished it to him. I’ll happily eat anything I don’t have to cook. He cooked the first 20 years we were married. I took it over during the pandemic. I’ve told him I’ll cook just for me and kids so he can eat whatever he wants. It only takes a few days of coming home to a clean kitchen to take care of it.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I get this too! What’s for dinner? Oh…. I now answer that question with “Dinner.”

DH complained about my cooking when we first got married so I relinquished it to him. I’ll happily eat anything I don’t have to cook. He cooked the first 20 years we were married. I took it over during the pandemic. I’ve told him I’ll cook just for me and kids so he can eat whatever he wants. It only takes a few days of coming home to a clean kitchen to take care of it.
    My mom’s family speaks another language. When we asked what was for dinner, she would say a phrase in her native language that translates to “rabbit’s ears”. My sisters and I in English would be “oh no rabbit’s ears again” pretty sure freaked out anyone else that heard us

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    My mom’s family speaks another language. When we asked what was for dinner, she would say a phrase in her native language that translates to “rabbit’s ears”. My sisters and I in English would be “oh no rabbit’s ears again” pretty sure freaked out anyone else that heard us

I joke around with my DC that since it’s (insert day of the week) I don’t have to cook since I don’t feed them on that day. DS2 had a friend over to play and join us for lunch the other day. I was sitting in the family room reading when they passed through. DS2 asked what was for lunch and I told him but then added since it was ???day he wouldn’t get to eat. The other child asked DS2 why he didn’t get to eat as they left the room. I heard DS2 explaining it was a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast