Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tips for a DC trip?

I'm way behind on planning anything for April break. Contemplating a trip to Washington DC--we are driving distance (but far!) so mainly would have to figure out lodging and would need somewhere that we can park our car. I'm interested in taking the kids to see the various museums and DC sites. If you've done this trip where did you stay? Were you able to get around on public transit? How many days is "enough" and what are the must sees? I haven't been since I was DDs age!
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Tips for a DC trip?

If budget isn’t a concern, center your search around the White House or Penn Quarter. If budget is a concern, check in Arlington- my first choice would be near the Courthouse metro stop but you can check Crystal City or Rosslyn but be sure and check their proximity to the Metro.
    We rarely drive in DC. Metro works well. I’ve never tried it but people also recommend the Circulator bus around DC (either free or really cheap).
    I’ll come back with some more tips
    Spot Hero works well for finding cheaper parking

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're staying at the Residence Inn National Mall. We needed a kitchen so we didn't have many options. From what I've read, this area doesn't have many restaurants but that's ok for us. We are also recommended the Wharf area or the Residence Inn near the White House. I think one of the hotels from the Wharf has a bus to the mall. We're going in May, so I'll be following this thread also to make sure I'm not missing the must dos! Right now, we are planning (at DS1's request): White House, Capital, National Museum of History, Air & Space, and the monuments. We'll be in town four full days and almost a 5th, but I'd like to move our flight up if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I'm way behind on planning anything for April break. Contemplating a trip to Washington DC--we are driving distance (but far!) so mainly would have to figure out lodging and would need somewhere that we can park our car. I'm interested in taking the kids to see the various museums and DC sites. If you've done this trip where did you stay? Were you able to get around on public transit? How many days is "enough" and what are the must sees? I haven't been since I was DDs age!
    I did a full trip report after our December trip and there were a bunch of tips on that thread.
    https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...light=candaceb

We left our car parked except for one night when we went to a friend's house for dinner in the suburbs. We used SpotHero to find parking about 2 blocks from our hotel. Driving in the city was no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    We're staying at the Residence Inn National Mall. We needed a kitchen so we didn't have many options. From what I've read, this area doesn't have many restaurants but that's ok for us. We are also recommended the Wharf area or the Residence Inn near the White House. I think one of the hotels from the Wharf has a bus to the mall. We're going in May, so I'll be following this thread also to make sure I'm not missing the must dos! Right now, we are planning (at DS1's request): White House, Capital, National Museum of History, Air & Space, and the monuments. We'll be in town four full days and almost a 5th, but I'd like to move our flight up if I can.
    You're right, the Wharf is also a good option. There is a free shuttle up to the Mall. Plenty to see, do and eat at the Wharf. I'm always a sucker for being on the water too. To that end, did you look at the Hyatt House at the Wharf vs your Residence Inn? There's not a lot around that RI. It's fine but lots of offices without a lot of restaurants or interesting things to do right near by. Might not be an issue but wanted to mention it.

There was a good trip report on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._Columbia.html

Touring the Capitol, the Air and Space Museum on the Mall, The Holocaust Museum, The Spy Museum, The Washington Monument and the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture all require advanced reservations (sometimes you can get lucky with walk ups or AM lotteries but if they are priorities, book them). I also recommend booking the National Archives if you want to save yourself a wait in line. We never bothered trying to go through a elected representative for tours; the general tour is well done and worked well for our family. I have never been interested in getting a tour of the White House- the tour logistics sound tedious (aka you can't bring anything in- no purses...). Family that have done it were pretty indifferent about it too and they had been really excited to do it.

The Air and Space Museum in VA is really awesome, if you have time and interest.

Mt. Vernon is also well done and I recommend advanced tickets. Will eat up about 1/2 a day though between the tour and transit.

Basically, you are traveling at a really busy time so book what you can ASAP. The availability may already be low and will thus dictate plans. Monuments can be done early in the AM or after museums close so you should prioritize museums.

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was surprised that I liked Arlington National Cemetery as much as I did. It's lovely and I found seeing both the changing of the guards at the unknown soldier and the JFK eternal flame to be very moving.

We had a bus since it was a school/choir trip, but several of the parents rented scooters to get around and said it was really fun.

We are leaving a week from Friday. We are staying at the Hyatt Place by the White House (just north). My friend who lived in DC for 10 years recommended staying in the area between the White House and capitol. We have reservations for the air and space museum and the capitol. We will do the national gallery (on my birthday! My request!) and the natural history museum as well. We only have three full days there. I have dinner reservations at Founding Farmers on night (again recommendation from my friend who lived there.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We are leaving a week from Friday. We are staying at the Hyatt Place by the White House (just north). My friend who lived in DC for 10 years recommended staying in the area between the White House and capitol. We have reservations for the air and space museum and the capitol. We will do the national gallery (on my birthday! My request!) and the natural history museum as well. We only have three full days there. I have dinner reservations at Founding Farmers on night (again recommendation from my friend who lived there.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Founding Farmers… I might consider changing to Rasika, Jaleo or Zaytina instead.
    “Tom Sietsema Pans the Ever-Popular Founding Farmers with a Zero Star Review” 🤣 Old review but memorable enough for me to stay away. Personally I know people who say it’s just ok. In a city with great food, I’d probably want something a bit more likely to be a wonderful meal. Jose Andre also has a new restaurant that I want to try.
    https://dc.eater.com/2016/6/8/118842...unding-farmers

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Thanks for the feedback so far. I had a nagging feeling this was something I needed to be on and this thread has been a good kick in the tush to get things moving. Do people airBnB around DC? I’m surprised so many people stay in hotels but maybe it’s somewhere that being located at a close hotel is a good trade off. I was looking at airBnBs in Arlington but since we are traveling from the NE I started to wonder if staying in MD made more sense so we don’t have to go across DC in the car.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast