Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Hand washing dishes…

Most dishes go in the dishwasher but for those dishes / pots & pans that get washed by hand….

Do you fill a tub / sink with soapy water?

Or

Do you wash each dish individually under the running water?

Last edited by jgenie; 03-06-2023 at 11:03 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Hand washing dishes…

Wash each but I try and turn the water off while scrubbing. not a fill the sink with soapy water person though…which is weird because it was my favorite thing to do when I was a kid! Splashing around was awesome.
    I rarely have more than 3 things that have to be hand washed at any time though so less water to do them individually (I think).
    Eta- I’ve never had a wash tub. Only time I’ve encountered one is camping. I’ve always used my sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-06-2023 at 10:24 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It depends, but I tend to prefer the tub-with-soapy-water method for a pile of hand-wash dishes while pots & pans often get soaked for a couple hours to loosen up any gunk. For stuff like serving platters or pitchers, they get the one-at-a-time treatment because my sink isn't large enough to accommodate them in a tub.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Generally wash individually under running water. There aren't a lot of things we don't put in the dishwasher, so on an average day this would be like a knife, an ice cream scoop, and a pot. When we have a pile of thermoses/water bottles that need to be washed (and when the kids were younger and we had bottles and breast pump parts) I'll fill a large bowl with hot soapy water for them to soak in for a little while, then pull out and wash/rinse under running water.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely running water, and I try to shut off while scrubbing if it's going to be a tough one lol. We also will fill the pan to soak the junk inside as needed.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It isn't usually much so I wash individually under running water. If there are a lot of small items and a bowl or pan I'll often fill the bowl with soapy water, wash the things inside it, then the bowl itself. If there are several items I also batch scrub with soap with the water off, set to the side soapy, and then turn the water back on for a short time to rinse everything at once.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Fill sink with a small amount of soapy water, scrub dish, turn water on low to rinse, turn water off, move on to next dish.
    Lizi

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Wash each but I try and turn the water off while scrubbing. not a fill the sink with soapy water person though…which is weird because it was my favorite thing to do when I was a kid! Splashing around was awesome.
    I rarely have more than 3 things that have to be hand washed at any time though so less water to do them individually (I think).
    Same.

Now growing up when we didn't have a dishwasher or recently when our dishwasher broke, I'd fill up the entire sink with soapy water but that's because I was washing an entire day's worth of dishes.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Depends.

Pots & pans often get left to soak, so they usually have their own soapy water, but by the time they're done soaking, the water is cold & icky. But, if I just have 1 or 2 big items, I'll wash those individually under running water. I usually only do the full sink with soapy water if I don't have a dishwasher where I am. So, when I'm at my dad's or when we'd eat at DH's grandfather's assisted living facility, I'll fill up the sink to wash everything at once.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Definitely running water, and I try to shut off while scrubbing if it's going to be a tough one lol. We also will fill the pan to soak the junk inside as needed.
    Same here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast