Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default SAT scores by state

I came across this yesterday and found it super interesting, especially the fact that in some states only a tiny percentage (1-4%) of students even take the SAT (and I don't think it's because they are taking the ACT either). I know the BBB board is a mostly high income group, which means most likely our kids are scoring way higher than these numbers, but I just find all the numbers fascinating and how the pressure to score well on these standardized tests is most likely just a tiny percentage of the actual high school student population experience.
    https://www.ontocollege.com/average-sat-score-2022/

ETA: Average ACT score and percent taking the test by state. This definitely shows why some states have such low SAT test takers. Looks like a few states have taking the ACT test as a graduation requirement.

https://www.ontocollege.com/average-act-score/
    Last edited by essnce629; 03-14-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for posting those stats. I agree it’s fascinating. It pretty much holds true with what I was told when I started college in the 90’s as well as today. The SAT is mainly popular for those wanting to attend West coast and East coast schools. For Midwesterners schools, the ACT is most popular. I only took the ACT. When I was accepted into the college I wanted, I figured why bother with the SAT? My first 2 kids have only taken the ACT. We found coaches and tutors more readily available to help prepare for the ACT. I gave them the option of taking the SAT as well and they didn’t want to prepare for both. They also didn’t want to sit through both. Now that so many schools are test optional it’s even less important to take both tests. They also hate taking standardized tests.. Now that my ds2 has pinpointed a very selective school as his number one choice of colleges, maybe he will change his mind and consider the SAT to improve his acceptance chances. Not sure.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 03-14-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The ACT and the prep courses that many of our more wealthy friends is becoming a hot topic. The cost of the classes is prohibitive for us and many families, and it certainly seems that when the kids take the classes their scores go up, often significantly. So it's nice to see that many schools are test optional. I truly believe that both SAT and ACT scores have no real bearing on ones ability to do well in college.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I find it strange that D.C. says 100% of students take the test. How do you get 100% of high schoolers to do anything???

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I find it strange that D.C. says 100% of students take the test. How do you get 100% of high schoolers to do anything???
    In Illinois, it is a high school graduation requirement. So every student in the state takes it. It used to be the ACT here, but that got switched to SAT a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    In Illinois, it is a high school graduation requirement. So every student in the state takes it. It used to be the ACT here, but that got switched to SAT a few years ago.

That's what I was thinking, that it's a high school graduation requirement. Completing the FAFSA is a graduation requirement in some states as well.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Edited my OP to include the link for ACT scores and percentages as well.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting about Illinois. I would say that recent years would be different than in the past. Growing up everyone in MA took the SAT. No one took the ACT. Test optional has changed that. Schools had been contemplating eliminating the tests from their application requirements and then the High School Class of 2021 had a hard time being able to even take the test so that seemed to move schools even closer to not using the tests. At my son's private school in 2021 they all took the PSAT at school during the school day. This year they didn't offer the SAT at his school. Their advice was to weigh the amount of effort in preparing for the SAT vs what else could be accomplished. He is not a good test taker so he took the ACT once (with 5 other kids total) and that was it. He did not submit his scores to the schools he applied to. My DD a junior who goes to a very competitive public school just took the SAT last weekend. Many kids at her school take both the SAT and ACT or one or the other. They often take the tests multiple times. The kids who are strong in science lean towards the ACT. My daughter will likely also take the ACT. She is strong in science and is a good test taker. From the tours I took with my son the general communication was if your tests scores fall within our typical ranges then report them. These ranges however are inflated because only the higher end students are actually submitting their scores, so the range is skewed towards the higher end. Now touring schools with my daughter 1 1/2 later schools aren't even mentioning the tests except to mention that they are test optional. It feels even less relevant now.

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    The ACT and the prep courses that many of our more wealthy friends is becoming a hot topic. The cost of the classes is prohibitive for us and many families, and it certainly seems that when the kids take the classes their scores go up, often significantly. So it's nice to see that many schools are test optional. I truly believe that both SAT and ACT scores have no real bearing on ones ability to do well in college.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Prep classes are definitely expensive and out of reach for many people. They do work to a certain extent but the return isn't as high as many of them advertise. My oldest took the ACT and youngest the SAT because their scores favored that testing style and both were put through prep because their math scores were low.

I will say that the one thing these tests do is highlight, in a glaringly obvious way, where the deficits are. I don't think it's a factor in how well a kid will succeed in college or in life but there's no hiding these deficits and if not worked through, will be a struggle.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Since schools don’t teach grammar anymore, these tests are challenging for many!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast