Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default best odor remover detergent?

Help my kids have become stinky and I'm having trouble getting their clothes to smell better. The worst offender is DD's jacket which she has taken to wearing all day long. Last week I washed it twice, when it still smelled after the first wash I dumped a bunch of our pet accident neutralizer in there.

Help with shoes too please.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Not sure what you are using currently but I had this problem as my kids got older (and smellier) when I was using more natural detergents. I switched to regular Tide and everything smells much better. I bought the Tide Sport with Febreze since synthetic athletic clothes were the worst offenders but I didn't end up needing it.

ETA - Not sure I can help with shoes. It's pure torture when one of the boys takes them off in the car. A boot dryer has worked wonders for their soccer cleats so that's an option and you can always toss them in the washer with a touch of bleach.
    Last edited by carolinamama; 03-15-2023 at 11:31 AM.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's pricey, but I use Rockin Green laundry detergent for the really stinky loads. It seems to work. I'm not sure where I heard about it first (maybe here?)

Amazon.com: Rockin' Green Active Wear Detergent (90 Loads), Plant based, All Natural Laundry Detergent Powder, Vegan and Biodegradable Odor Fighter, Safe for Sensitive Skin, 45 oz (Unscented) : Health & Household
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not a detergent, but do you add vinegar to your wash? Using it instead of fabric softener can really help pull odors out of clothes. Except work out/technical fabric clothes. Those need special stuff.

For shoes, I dump baking soda in them & leave it over night.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lysol laundry sanitizer! I learned about it here and it has solved all of our dog laundry issues! We have one dog that has some weird skin chemistry and we could not get his stench out of his bedding until this! It comes in unscented and crisp linen. I started with unscented because I'm sensitive to scents, but one day the grocery store only had crisp linen and it was a nice surprise to me that I like the smell of crisp linen! Costco carries it too I believe.

I do a load of laundry using our regular detergent, and then run it again using only the Lysol laundry sanitizer, making sure I choose a cycle that's long enough for it to work, and then I like to add an extra rinse just to ensure there's no residue that might irritate skin. Alternatively, you can soak the stinky clothes in a tub, and launder as usual.

I also use it for period underwear...teens sometimes don't rinse those out well or let them sit wet for days. Yuck. I soak them in Lysol laundry sanitizer and then run them through a regular wash and they come out totally fresh.

It also solved my musty towel issues (from my own mistake...not SUPER thoroughly drying towels before storing). Our towels are back to smelling fresh.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-15-2023 at 12:12 PM.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have had good luck running a prewash cycle then washing regularly. I haven’t noticed a problem since adding the prewash.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Lysol laundry sanitizer! I learned about it here and it has solved all of our dog laundry issues! We have one dog that has some weird skin chemistry and we could not get his stench out of his bedding until this! It comes in unscented and crisp linen. I started with unscented because I'm sensitive to scents, but one day the grocery store only had crisp linen and it was a nice surprise to me that I like the smell of crisp linen! Costco carries it too I believe.

I do a load of laundry using our regular detergent, and then run it again using only the Lysol laundry sanitizer, making sure I choose a cycle that's long enough for it to work, and then I like to add an extra rinse just to ensure there's no residue that might irritate skin. Alternatively, you can soak the stinky clothes in a tub, and launder as usual.

I also use it for period underwear...teens sometimes don't rinse those out well or let them sit wet for days. Yuck. I soak them in Lysol laundry sanitizer and then run them through a regular wash and they come out totally fresh.

It also solved my musty towel issues (from my own mistake...not SUPER thoroughly drying towels before storing). Our towels are back to smelling fresh.
    Does the laundry sanitizer leave a scent?

Not sure if you are a Costco member, but Kirkland brand laundry detergent is the only thing I have found that can eliminate the strong smells from DH's exercise clothes.

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jawilli4 View Post
    Not sure if you are a Costco member, but Kirkland brand laundry detergent is the only thing I have found that can eliminate the strong smells from DH's exercise clothes.
    Does it have a strong scent? My problem with most commercial laundry detergents is the smell they leave behind. And it takes another 3-4 washes to get the smell out.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I have had good luck running a prewash cycle then washing regularly. I haven’t noticed a problem since adding the prewash.

Does the laundry sanitizer leave a scent?
    Lysol Laundry Sanitizer comes in an unscented version!

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    Does it have a strong scent? My problem with most commercial laundry detergents is the smell they leave behind. And it takes another 3-4 washes to get the smell out.
    Unfortunately, it probably does. I think it is in line with Tide Ultra. To me, Persil is the strongest of the three brands. Kirkland also has a dye and perfume free version but it doesn’t have the odor eliminating technology. Good luck finding something that works for you. Funky smelling clothes stink.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast