Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default UC News for our HS Seniors?

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    This is good to know! I get that the college acceptance rates have changed, but my husband does not. My son has really good grades, and my husband is convinced he can get in to any school. I need someone to talk some sense into my husband, because he is completely unrealistic about how college works these days. My son is just going to be a freshman in high school, so there is still some time, but for my husband to say he will easily get into UCLA makes me so frustrated. As of right now, my son wants to stay in CA, and probably not too far from home, but there are still plenty of colleges that fit that criteria.
    My DH was the same. Kept talking down our local Cal State that has an excellent program for what DS wants, DS has priority enrollment as local resident but it’s a commuter school and DH wants similar college experience for DS that DH had at a college where everyone lives on or near campus. I told DH to stop being so negative as this was DS’ safety and DS wants a different experience. DS wants to be in a big city and all the options DS was interested in our state and even out of state were commuter schools. UCLA is considered a commuter school too!! DS would live on campus even if the school is close by us.

DS got into DH’s college for the same program DH did, and they visited, but the focus of the program has changed and it’s not what DS wants. So that was a bust.

As we went further through the process and DH started to see acceptance rates and costs, he started to change his mind about the Cal State options. Your DH might change his attitude as you state looking at schools, research acceptance rates etc

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-19-2023 at 11:46 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    This is good to know! I get that the college acceptance rates have changed, but my husband does not. My son has really good grades, and my husband is convinced he can get in to any school. I need someone to talk some sense into my husband, because he is completely unrealistic about how college works these days. My son is just going to be a freshman in high school, so there is still some time, but for my husband to say he will easily get into UCLA makes me so frustrated. As of right now, my son wants to stay in CA, and probably not too far from home, but there are still plenty of colleges that fit that criteria.
    Tell him to read Who Gets In and Why by Jeffrey Selingo.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Congrats that is very exciting for your dd! Ds2 is a Junior so we have some time yet. But he just recently toured Notre Dame and now it’s his top pick. He fell in love with it. It wasn’t even on his radar before last week so we didn’t do anything to foster that relationship. He just missed the deadline to attend a summer precollege- class and he’s now trying to find ways to improve his chances of acceptance. It really is a tough game.
    I’m ND ‘95, and I’d recommend reaching out to all of your priest/bishop connections to let them know your son is interested. One of them may have a connection at ND who could help. In my area, some of the Catholic high schools have high acceptance rates at ND, in large part bc of the connections those schools have fostered.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I’m ND ‘95, and I’d recommend reaching out to all of your priest/bishop connections to let them know your son is interested. One of them may have a connection at ND who could help. In my area, some of the Catholic high schools have high acceptance rates at ND, in large part bc of the connections those schools have fostered.
    Thank you responding. DS2 sent an email to a family friend who is a law professor at Notre Dame and offered to clean out his file cabinets, make copies, be a runner for him, or even just babysit (they have 6 kids). We haven’t heard back yet (they are BUSY). I asked another friend who knows priests there if ds2 can help in any way this summer. So we will see. DS2 is considering this summer creating a 3d printing- company with his brother making skateboard components mainly so he can put it on his list of extracurriculars. He thinks it will improve his chances.

It would be a perfect school for him as well as Dd who is interested too (they have a ballet club!). He and dd both loved that mass is offered several times per day all over the campus and they would have easy access to all the sacraments. I don’t want to get his hopes up, though so we don’t dwell on it too much. Sooo bummed that we didn’t do more to explore this school earlier for him. But he said he wasn’t interested because of the size. What can a parent do?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 03-20-2023 at 10:09 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree that the admissions game has totally changed. Back in our day, when you had to handwrite your admissions essays and application, mail it in, and pay an application fee, you were really selective about where you applied. Now with common app, SAT/ACT optional, easy electronic submission that's basically copy/paste your essay and application answers, and schools largely waiving application fees, students are applying to a dozen or more colleges (and often dozens of colleges), which just totally messes with the acceptance rate and yield.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I will say that I think the number 1 piece of advice for CA students is to not put all your eggs in the UC and Cal State basket, as it's just way too risky. I know a mom from my kids' elementary school who has a senior DD who ONLY applied to the UCs and the two hardest to get into Cal States (SDSU and Cal Poly Slo). And as a psychology major, which is one of the most popular majors. So far she only has one acceptance, to UCSC, which she says her DD has zero interest in. People are telling her it's such a good school with a beautiful location but she says her DD is not into all the trees, nature, and outdoorsy stuff. And I think this is one of the reasons the UC schools are so hard to get into now. So many kids just apply to all of them, even though they are all completely different, with drastically different locations, environments, and cultures. I don't see how a person who loves UCSB would be happy at UC Berkeley, yet they apply to both. Her DD only wants to stay in CA, which is fine, but she still should have applied to some of the private schools that give merit aid or at least some of the less popular Cal States. I think the best bet for any CA student is to at least add in some in and out of state private schools that give merit aid to make the price similar to a UC and at least one or more WUE schools.

That is just bad planning and a waste of money if you ask me, but I know that is common. Yes which is why I am spending money now and touring schools with Dd1. I would rather pay more money for her to see schools now than apply to every single UC school just for prestige of saying they go to a UC school. DH is also a huge pessimist in this realm of things in regards to UC and seller privates (USC, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc.) as he doesn’t believe that UC schools are the “be all end all” of college and or the college experience. Until recently most, if not all UC and CSU schools were considered commuter schools (and if you dig deep enough and look at statistics many still have people who commute 20-40 miles a day).

I initially had UCSC on our visit list because I thought Dd wanted something coastal but she didn’t have any interest in it. She also has ZERO interest in UCSD and UCI (although UCI has direct admit nursing). I really want her to focus on the UC schools that have majors related closely to what she wants to do; most don’t though so at this point I anticipate her applying to only 3 (Cal, UCLA, and Davis or Santa Barbara) but honestly would be happy if she doesn’t apply to those schools in fear of disappointment if she doesn’t get in. She visits Cal and Davis next month. She has access to the majors she is interested in though at most CSU schools though including all of the impacted ones, but our next visits in NorCal (during Spring Break) include a few CSU schools that are considered safety schools but I feel like Dd1 could like the areas where they are located though based on her personality and how much she liked Cal Poly.

Staying in California has it’s advantages for us though because my employer offers a $5,000 scholarship yearly if my kid stays in California and attends any public or private college/university. It is renewable each year and will help us out a ton if she is awarded one.

We have looked at Utah and may look at Oregon State, and Oregon (although Oregon is not a WUE school, but establishing Oregon residence I have read is easier than some states for college students) as well. Not sure of the Washington schools.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I know it’s not close to CA, but the State University of New York system (SUNY) has a program that will match your state’s flagship tuition for many of their schools. Kids from eight states are eligible. Most are neighboring states but they also include Illinois and California. California students can attend for the price of UC Berkeley in state.
    I had no idea that California had an agreement with other states outside of the WUE schools that California has the same agreements with. California residents only have options in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota. some Minnesota and Texas schools were on there a few years back but aren’t anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    agreeing -- whole college process is way more competitive than I remember it being. Good grades, good SATs and a couple good extra curricular are not what they once were, that said I hope that means the field is leveled somewhat (but not sure that is the case).
    And now with the no SAT/ACT required at most California universities it makes pinning down what the colleges are truly lookin for even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    PZ -- FWIW DS1: GPA weighted 3.97 uw 3.8; 5 APs (got 5s for the 3 he's taken so far); SAT 1490. 2 varsity letters x2 years. Won a couple awards. National Honors Society (but not captain, no other extra curricular etc).
    That is great! Dd1 has similar grades and has a 4 on the one ap test she has taken so far (she has two more for this year and potentially 3 more next year). She still needs to take the ACT and SAT though so I honestly have no idea where she might end up in this scale (her 11th grade PSAT was under 1200 though). She has two varsity sports letters (tennis since freshman year, dance since sophomore). She is hoping for tennis and or dance captain next year, and should hear about NHS today.

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    Thanks for the info. He's definitely planning to apply to multiple CSU schools. We are in the Bay Area too, and I think CSU gives priority to local students. Glad to hear your son is liking San Jose State!
    There are a few CSU schools that don’t admit enough students and the governor has said he would limit their funding if they don’t get better enrollments this year. Cal State East Bay, Sonoma, and San Francisco are on the list. Dd1 is looking at Sonoma, and Chico State next month because I feel those schools may mirror the college town experience she liked about Cal Poly SLO. (I haven’t visited Sonoma before but Chico is a great college town).

Sacramento State has very good science and engineering programs. Outside of their business school and criminal justice programs it is what they are known for in the region. Intel used to have offices in the area (not sure if they still do) and there are a ton of government jobs there as well. It has something like an 82% acceptance rate and in my experience even though it is a commuter college there are a usually a lot of Bay Area kids who attend there and live on campus for at least a year. The on campus housing costs maybe reasonable as well (I honestly haven’t looked).

Tell him to read Who Gets In and Why by Jeffrey Selingo.

Must be a popular online book in LA County right now as it is estimated 15 week wait for me through the library. I can get it delivered today between 10-3 from Amazon but I am not sure I want to spend $25 on the hardback book. I feel like this book could also be potentially out of date because so much has changed in 2 years. I will probably use my Amazon digital delivery credits to get this down to $2.00 though on Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Agree that the admissions game has totally changed. Back in our day, when you had to handwrite your admissions essays and application, mail it in, and pay an application fee, you were really selective about where you applied. Now with common app, SAT/ACT optional, easy electronic submission that's basically copy/paste your essay and application answers, and schools largely waiving application fees, students are applying to a dozen or more colleges (and often dozens of colleges), which just totally messes with the acceptance rate and yield.
    Yes. I initially thought I would be able to limit Dd1 to six schools (2 UCs, 2 CSUs, 2 privates or out of states), but now I think that would limiting and the 10 schools that I previously thought would be crazy may not be that far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-20-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I had no idea that California had an agreement with other states outside of the WUE schools that California has the same agreements with. California residents only have options in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota. some Minnesota and Texas schools were on there a few years back but aren’t anymore.
    The SUNY tuition price match was just announced in the last few months, so this year's high school graduating class will be the first students to take advantage of it. The SUNY schools have faced decreasing enrollment for years, so this is to try and attract more students. The tuition match is only offered at 22 of the 64 SUNY schools though.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardc...h=6feb850960d2

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Must be a popular online book in LA County right now as it is estimated 15 week wait for me through the library. I can get it delivered today between 10-3 from Amazon but I am not sure I want to spend $25 on the hardback book. I feel like this book could also be potentially out of date because so much has changed in 2 years. I will probably use my Amazon digital delivery credits to get this down to $2.00 though on Kindle.
    I don't think it's out of date at all. I listened to it a second time just a few months ago. Admissions is all about institutional priorities and that hasn't changed at all.
    Last edited by essnce629; 03-20-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The SUNY tuition price match was just announced in the last few months, so this year's high school graduating class will be the first students to take advantage of it. The SUNY schools have faced decreasing enrollment for years, so this is to try and attract more students. The tuition match is only offered at 22 of the 64 SUNY schools though.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardc...h=6feb850960d2

I don't think it's out of date at all. I listened to it a second time just a few months ago. Admissions is all about institutional priorities and that hasn't changed at all.
    Got it thanks….

I was reading the post about the New York thing being the opposite of what it is (and agreement with New York State to admit students to California schools….oops!). Interesting thoughts though but the reach probably won’t reach as far as the California resident kid who applies to Berkeley and doesn’t get in. I could mention it to Dd but I think she now really wants to stay on the west coast.

And on the Selingo book I thought with the admissions changes since Covid it might change the focus of the book a bit. He could probably write a whole book on that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Thank you responding. DS2 sent an email to a family friend who is a law professor at Notre Dame and offered to clean out his file cabinets, make copies, be a runner for him, or even just babysit (they have 6 kids). We haven’t heard back yet (they are BUSY). I asked another friend who knows priests there if ds2 can help in any way this summer. So we will see….
    Have him consider applying to Holy Cross, too, since it’s basically on ND’s campus. Lots of students transfer into ND from HC.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    My DH was the same. Kept talking down our local Cal State that has an excellent program for what DS wants, DS has priority enrollment as local resident but it’s a commuter school and DH wants similar college experience for DS that DH had at a college where everyone lives on or near campus. I told DH to stop being so negative as this was DS’ safety and DS wants a different experience. DS wants to be in a big city and all the options DS was interested in our state and even out of state were commuter schools. UCLA is considered a commuter school too!! DS would live on campus even if the school is close by us.

DS got into DH’s college for the same program DH did, and they visited, but the focus of the program has changed and it’s not what DS wants. So that was a bust.

As we went further through the process and DH started to see acceptance rates and costs, he started to change his mind about the Cal State options. Your DH might change his attitude as you state looking at schools, research acceptance rates etc

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I hope so! I live about a mile away from a CSU school, and I graduated with my BA and my DH got his MA there. I'd kind of like DS to go a little bit farther, but if they have the program he wants (he's still undecided but leaning towards something with video game design) I'd be ok with it. He's just going into 9th grade, so I know he has a little bit of time, but I know these years will go by fast!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast