Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    At the majority of colleges in the US there is zero financial aid for international students and many international students have to prove that their family already has the cost of all 4 years in their bank accounts. So at super selective schools where full pay is $80k+ a year, you're ONLY going to have super well off international students. DS1 is at one of the few schools in the US that actually meets full financial need for international students.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Boston University also has a high percentage of international students who are very wealthy. The cars they drive are Lamborghinis, masseratis, land rovers along with high end Mercedes, bmws and Audis. It has been this way since at least the 90s. They buy cars and real estate in cash. A story from 2015 said that intl students spent $120M in Greater Boston not including tuition. I would say BU students are the most visible of that wealth. There was a recent news alert about Intl BU students being scammed out of large amounts of money.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We toured one of the new luxury apartment buildings off campus with ds1 last year. It was in our budget but so many parents on the parent page (Facebook) thought the price was insane. I noticed that almost every student there was an international student. We only didn't lease it because ds1 wasn't that into the idea...and, we figured it might be rough to backslide into what he could actually afford when he was on his own.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I assume University of San Diego. Most of those talking about it are from CA so it makes a lot more sense than S Dakota would.
    My nephews went to University of South Dakota. It is definitely not full of wealthy, privileged students!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    My nephews went to University of South Dakota. It is definitely not full of wealthy, privileged students!
    I laugh because when I was in college at San Diego State I was at a residence hall conference with South Dakota State as well. Two very different SDSUs. It was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    How goes the college plans?

DS1 applied to >20 schools (!!) and is almost done hearing. 4 rejections, 4 waitlisted, 5 waiting to hear, 9 acceptances

Short list so far: 3 very small liberal arts colleges and San Diego State

ETA: any experience with Reed, Oberlin or F&M?
    Congrats on those admissions! I would be encouraging Oberlin or Reed in your shoes!

And Jen, all I can say is - go Jumbos! That's a great list but there is one standout school! (Unless he gets into Brown, in which case, well, Brown would be my pick!)

for Sandy Hook

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Congrats on those admissions! I would be encouraging Oberlin or Reed in your shoes!
    thanks we visited Reed and were very impressed. Off to check out Lafayette and F&M (we ruled out Oberlin since it seems very music oriented and that isn't a passion of DS)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    thanks we visited Reed and were very impressed. Off to check out Lafayette and F&M (we ruled out Oberlin since it seems very music oriented and that isn't a passion of DS)
    Hmmm… Oberlin had a great music school but other majors are strong too. It’s worth a look. But, I also understand the need to cross things off- I just don’t want you to cross this off for a reason that might not be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hmmm… Oberlin had a great music school but other majors are strong too. It’s worth a look. But, I also understand the need to cross things off- I just don’t want you to cross this off for a reason that might not be accurate.

ARGH -- Ok I am going to chat with him
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Totally agree! It would be #1 on that list for me!

for Sandy Hook

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    And Jen, all I can say is - go Jumbos! That's a great list but there is one standout school! (Unless he gets into Brown, in which case, well, Brown would be my pick!)
    Thanks. He didn't get into Brown and he eliminated American, so down to Oxy and Tufts. While Tufts is definitely more prestigious and might be my choice, he's leaning toward Occidental, and I'm ok with it if that's where he lands. I'll update when final choice is made
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast