Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Algebra 2 is covered on the test, so after that class is good. Not too far after is also good so they aren't rusty. My kids have taken the tests in Aug/Sept of Junior year. This lets them study over the summer when they are less busy. And if the student is in the running at all for National Merit, that test is October of junior year, so studying happens with the SAT. My kids also take it at school in April of junior year, so that works for a last time to improve and then work on applications that summer.

That all said, I might have my youngest take it this summer, before 10th grade. He's finishing pre-calc now so not a bad time as far as content goes. And he will get the paper version in so we know what to expect.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

That all said, I might have my youngest take it this summer, before 10th grade. He's finishing pre-calc now so not a bad time as far as content goes. And he will get the paper version in so we know what to expect.
    I took the ACT for the first time in 8th grade and second time in 10th grade. Having some early experience taking it when I knew it really didn’t matter at all helped make it much lower stress for me both then and when I took it later on. Though I admit I was also the odd kid who thought taking it was kind of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD did the prep the summer after sophomore year, and took the test in September. It worked perfectly for her because prep was online during COVID, and she had Algebra 2 already. It basically took one thing off the plate for junior year, so worked well for her.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I will probably have her take both the ACT and the SAT this summer. She will take the SAT again with her school in the fall. As of right now all of the schools she is seriously considering are not accepting test scores though for the admission process. I think they will be good practice though.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I will probably have her take both the ACT and the SAT this summer. She will take the SAT again with her school in the fall. As of right now all of the schools she is seriously considering are not accepting test scores though for the admission process. I think they will be good practice though.

Wait, her school is having everyone take the SAT in fall of Senior year?

We are behind on this...waited too late and DD forgot some easy math! I wish they had more in the summer.

Default Timing of SAT/ACT

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Wait, her school is having everyone take the SAT in fall of Senior year?

We are behind on this...waited too late and DD forgot some easy math! I wish they had more in the summer.
    Yes they give the SAT or the psat during the second week of October to all of the students (sophomores and juniors take the PSAT and juniors and seniors can take the SAT) I am probably in the true minority here but I am not honestly sure how important the tests will be for admission for her. Maybe it isn’t a trend but at least here in California the UC, CSU, and the few privates she has toured so far have said they are not requiring tests for fall 2024 admission, and USD said all together applicants do not need to submit test scores at all. LMU said you can submit your test scores after you have been admitted and that is only for research purposes. As of last spring when we visited USC said that they were test optional.

She took the psat in last fall (and the fall prior) and her test scores did not qualify her for National merit scholarships. I do believe there are other scholarships connected to the college board like the Hispanic scholarship (and even that being from California is most likely very very competitive) that she will qualify for but I am honestly not sure of what else.

Maybe I am 100000000 percent wrong on the potential non importance of the SAT and ACT, but it just doesn’t seem to be the factor it once was for college admissions.

Are things different for your DD in the southeast?

Math wise Dd2 is in pre calculus. She took the advanced math track of geometry (9), algebra 2 (10), pre calculus (11), and most likely statistics next year. She did say on the psat she forgot a bit of geometry but otherwise I believe she is still
    In line with what is on the test.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-29-2023 at 09:44 AM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a sophomore too. He’s going to start either late this summer or in the fall. I need to sign him up and he gets accomodations so I need to get on that. Right before or early junior year gives them time to get help if they need it to bring the score where they want it to be.

DS1 needed some reminders going back to geometry and algebra 2…so we hired a tutor and his score jumped a lot.

DS2 is going to need someone to help him navigate with his accomodations, but we’re going to start with just taking the test so they have a baseline.

Their school gives them practice tests every year (except senior year) and the PSAT for NM junior year, but it’s on them to decide which test to focus on for admissions.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Yes they give the SAT or the psat during the second week of October to all of the students (sophomores and juniors take the PSAT and juniors and seniors can take the SAT) I am probably in the true minority here but I am not honestly sure how important the tests will be for admission for her. Maybe it isn’t a trend but at least here in California the UC, CSU, and the few privates she has toured so far have said they are not requiring tests for fall 2024 admission, and USD said all together applicants do not need to submit test scores at all. LMU said you can submit your test scores after you have been admitted and that is only for research purposes. As of last spring when we visited USC said that they were test optional.

She took the psat in last fall (and the fall prior) and her test scores did not qualify her for National merit scholarships. I do believe there are other scholarships connected to the college board like the Hispanic scholarship (and even that being from California is most likely very very competitive) that she will qualify for but I am honestly not sure of what else.

Maybe I am 100000000 percent wrong on the potential non importance of the SAT and ACT, but it just doesn’t seem to be the factor it once was for college admissions.

Are things different for your DD in the southeast?

Math wise Dd2 is in pre calculus. She took the advanced math track of geometry (9), algebra 2 (10), pre calculus (11), and most likely statistics next year. She did say on the psat she forgot a bit of geometry but otherwise I believe she is still
    In line with what is on the test.

If you live in CA and plan to apply to state schools and your child isn’t an amazing test taker, I think you are correct in that the standardized tests aren’t very important. She’s better off spending that time on extra curricular activities she’s passionate about.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    If you live in CA and plan to apply to state schools and your child isn’t an amazing test taker, I think you are correct in that the standardized tests aren’t very important. She’s better off spending that time on extra curricular activities she’s passionate about.
    Okay glad to know I am not too far off track. USC, UCLA, SDSU, Cal Poly SLO, and Cal (which she visits next month) are her perceived reach schools. Cal Poly SLO is her favorite so far as well. If they were recommended or required for these schools then I would probably would’ve had her start taking the tests last summer (like I did when I was in high school).
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Okay glad to know I am not too far off track. USC, UCLA, SDSU, Cal Poly SLO, and Cal (which she visits next month) are her perceived reach schools. Cal Poly SLO is her favorite so far as well.
    Yes, all 5 of those would be considered reach schools. I hope she has more than 5 others that are target (over 50% acceptance) and safeties (over 80% acceptance).

I think I mentioned in another thread that a mom from my kids' elementary school has a current senior DD who only applied to UCLA, Cal, UCSB, UCD, UCI, UCSC, SDSU, Cal Poly Slo and only one out of state school, University of Oregon. Los Angeles public high school with all AP (10) and the rest honors classes. She's been rejected at 4 UCs, waitlisted at UCSB, and only accepted to UCSC which she says her DD has no interest in attending. Also rejected from SDSU, not sure about SLO, but she hasn't said anything about it so I'm assuming it's another rejection. Major is psychology which is one of the most popular and impacted majors. She received bad advice from her high school counselor who said she shouldn't have any issues getting in (her 1st choice was UCD). She was accepted into the honors college at U of Oregon but it is too expensive (not a WUE school). They are all just hoping and praying that she gets off the UCSB waitlist. CA students need to cast a wide net outside of our public schools, including privates and out of state publics that give generous merit aid. I can't stress that point enough.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast