Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Yes, DS2 is class of 2027 and I'm also looking forward to that looming enrollment cliff!!!
    Can you explain this? My oldest is also class of 2027, and I’ll have a class of 2029 as well.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Can you explain this? My oldest is also class of 2027, and I’ll have a class of 2029 as well.
    This is an excellent article that explains the demographic cliff in detail. In a nutshell though, it's basically that the number of babies being born dropped off substantially starting in 2008 and has yet to recover. So starting in 2026, and continuing for the next 2 decades, there's going to be a lot less high school graduates available to go to college. The selective Seller schools will not be affected, but most of the other schools, especially private schools in the Northeast and Midwest, will be greatly affected. Other things like immigration rate and the birth rate in different states, also plays a role (again with the Northeast and Midwest suffering the most).

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23...ducation-crash

My favorite college admissions podcast, Your College Bound Kid, also had an episode last week on the looming enrollment cliff and the Vox article: https://yourcollegeboundkid.com/2023...re-of-college/

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I was looking for the like button on your post, lol. This is my DS2.

We don't have free JC, but have basically free DE and will get some credits that route plus he is class of 2026 and we will likely have good choices with the enrollment cliff that is coming.
    Sorry but can somebody explain what JC and DE mean? Thanks

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    Sorry but can somebody explain what JC and DE mean? Thanks
    I was assuming junior college and dual enrollment.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is an excellent article that explains the demographic cliff in detail. In a nutshell though, it's basically that the number of babies being born dropped off substantially starting in 2008 and has yet to recover. So starting in 2026, and continuing for the next 2 decades, there's going to be a lot less high school graduates available to go to college. The selective Seller schools will not be affected, but most of the other schools, especially private schools in the Northeast and Midwest, will be greatly affected. Other things like immigration rate and the birth rate in different states, also plays a role (again with the Northeast and Midwest suffering the most).

My favorite college admissions podcast, Your College Bound Kid, also had an episode last week on the looming enrollment cliff and the Vox article: https://yourcollegeboundkid.com/2023...re-of-college/

This is great news! I have a class of 2027 and we live in the Midwest, where I expect he'll stay. Of course, he's currently set on U of M, which we know won't be affected. I'm hoping by then he'll have moved on from that one and we can get some good merit.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So basically that confirms that it's all a crapshoot. Just do your best in hs but don't go insane trying to create a resume that is geared to certain schools since you have no idea what buckets they are currently trying to fill. There are countless good universities in the country and my family is going to opt out of stressing.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Fascinating! Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    So basically that confirms that it's all a crapshoot. Just do your best in hs but don't go insane trying to create a resume that is geared to certain schools since you have no idea what buckets they are currently trying to fill. There are countless good universities in the country and my family is going to opt out of stressing.
    We are a long ways away from college, but this is our plan too. We want our kids to go to schools that are affordable and that they feel comfortable at, but we aren't going to chase unicorns or make them cut back on activities and vacations now so we can pay for a more expensive college. We will very strongly encourage one of the schools I get free dependent tuition at unless for some specific reason we think that would be a very bad decision for that specific kid or they miraculously get an enormous amount of merit aid somewhere else. We will set the expectation very early that they will not have unlimited options. At least one if not both will probably go to grad school at some point and be able to make that decision all over again with different considerations.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With boys going to college at such a lower rate than girls, this will make admissions so much easier for boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    As the mom of a junior, this is what's freaking me out right now. Neither we nor DC have any control over the process, it seems. I had been doing pretty well, fully on board with the idea that there's a lid for every pot, and that DC would find a lid, until DC announced that they want to go to an arts program, which are audition-based and many (otherwise good-fit) schools are rumored to have admission rates in the 1-2% range for their intended major. I'm still confident that DC will get into a college, but it's not even a little bit certain that they'll get into a school for the major they want.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast