Thread: Grand Cayman

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Grand Cayman

Looking for suggestions on where to stay on Grand Cayman. Would love to find a condo on Seven Mile Beach.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I recommend Villas of the Galleon. They have 2bd/2ba units on the beach. There is no pool on the property though, but the beach is right there and you are located between two big hotels.
    mom to Billy 12/07

We stayed on the other side (rum point) since it was much cheaper. We had a condo on the beach that included kayaks. It was easy to kayak to starfish point. Condo area had a pool, which my boys loved. Beach had a decent amount of sea grass, so that wasn’t super awesome.

Definitely do one of those snorkel/sting ray city boat trips. So fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, to staying on the other side. Rum point is great and if you're lucky, the bioluminescence will be visible in the bay!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Third staying on Rum Point. So much less built up and touristy than 7-mile beach.

Rum Point looks amazing! However, it's a bit far from the hospital for our liking. DS has severe food allergies so we like to be a bit closer to a hospital in case of anaphylaxis. I'll check out the Villas of Galleon. They look promising.

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We stayed here for spring break in 2019: https://www.coralstoneclub.com

As others have said, 7-Mile Beach is pretty built up and crowded, but this condo resort was small, quiet, and lovely. It is right next to the Ritz, which was absolutely packed. It was nice to be able to walk over there and eat at their restaurants or get a drink, ice cream, etc., although it sounds like that might not be something your family would do.

The boat tour to sting ray city continues to be one of my kids all time favorite vacation memories.
    Andrea
    dd 19
    ds 16
    dd 13

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by andie16 View Post

As others have said, 7-Mile Beach is pretty built up and crowded, but this condo resort was small, quiet, and lovely. It is right next to the Ritz, which was absolutely packed. It was nice to be able to walk over there and eat at their restaurants or get a drink, ice cream, etc., although it sounds like that might not be something your family would do.

The boat tour to sting ray city continues to be one of my kids all time favorite vacation memories.
    Coral Stone looks beautiful and just a few buildings up the beach from Villas of the Galleon. Much more upscale also, so two good options at sort of opposite ends of the price spectrum for the OP
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by andie16 View Post

Another good option! Thank you! The locations of both option close to the Ritz is great because they are usually very good with allergies, so we could go over for dinner one night, or at least a drink for DH and I.

I have recs on either side of 7 mile beach For many years pre kids we stayed at the Coral Sands , where my parents have TS. It sits between Georgetown and 7 Mile beach so not quite as built up, it's small with < 10 condos, has it's own smallish pool. The Kirks grocery store and a liquor store are right across the street which is super handy. The beach in hard span but you can quickly swim out to some beautiful coral and swim to some of the snorkel sites. My biggest complaint is that there was quite a bit of construction happening next door last year. It feels a bit 'urban' but is usually pretty quiet. You can walk to both 7 mile beach and Georgetown.

Last year we wanted to try something else before we met up with my parents so we spent a few days at the Aqua Bay Club, which is up in west bay. The grounds and pool were beautiful but way more mosquitos, I think b/c it was so lush. The place seemed mostly deserted. That might be an option if you're looking to be a bit less remote than rum point, but escape a bit of the 7mile beach fray. We were able to take the bus most places we wanted to go which was fun for the kids.

Oh, before I decided to splurge on Aqua Bay, I had a reservation at the less expensive Sunshine Suites on 7 MB, we have a tradition with my parents of going there for their fish tacos our first night on the island. Nice property, they are across the street from the beach but guests have full beach privileges at their sister property across the street.

I'd check the GC Trip advisor forums and the Cayman Compass for info conditions for both beach erosion and where the sargassum is settling. The erosion was a bit of a problem at AB, but not to the extent I gathered some of the 7 mile beach properties were dealing with. The sargassum wasn't a problem in either of the places we were at but was wreaking havoc on some communities.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12