Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default S/O sleepaway camp - what age?

Sleepaway camps came up in the Y thread and I 'm curious about your experience with your kids & camp? I would love to encourage my kids to go but we don't have a real relationship with a particular camp. There is a local camp that a lot of kids go to, but when I took a tour of it I was less than impressed and had a hard time thinking it'd work for my kids. If they ask to go I'd probably let them, but I wasn't going to push it.

My own camp experience didn't start out very well, I went to GS camp when I was 10 and was absolutely miserable. Small tent with just a couple of kids I didn't really click with (classic they seemed sophisticated/savvy and I wasn't) and the very first day our counselor had a long 'I sure hope you didn't bring drugs here' convo with us. In hindsight she probably was required to have some sort of convo but I was a child who easily felt ashamed even when I hadn't done anything wrong and it just sent me into a spiral that I was in trouble all week. That is all I remember about that week - I think I've blocked it all.

In middle school/early HS my church friends (not in my school district) insisted I go to camp with them and when I protested that I hated camp, they insisted this would be different. And they were right - I loved it so much I ended up some years paying for it myself, went all through HS and then worked there a couple years during college. It was the place I felt I could be really me compared to HS where I felt like I didn't belong. Being a part of that community was a really big part of my identity for a long, long time.

I'd love for my kids to have that experience but it's hard for me to imagine them spending a week away from us, let alone several weeks. (And we're on the other side of the country from that camp now) They've had very few sleepovers except at Grandma's with the pandemic, and I think we've only been away from them for more than 1 night maybe twice over the years. They've had friends going the last couple of years but it's hard for me to believe they are ready. And I'd hate for them to have the experience I had at my first camp. OTOH I do think they need to start developing their own self reliance/understanding things are going to be ok away from us.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

mine only ever did a week per summer so maybe not what you are considering- just wanted to state that off the top.

We sent them to the camp our friends al used and loved. Ds1 went 2 summers and never really clicked.
    Ds2 went to their 3 day mini camp to start when he was 7 and then went back 7 more years. He absolutely adored everything about it. Last year he felt like he aged out (even though he could keep going another 2 years).
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-28-2023 at 12:08 PM.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS & DD1 both did a week long sleep over camp starting in about 4th grade, so about 10. DD2 is in 4th now, and I haven't had the conversation with her to see what she'd like to do this summer. The one the big kids have done is through our church conference, and in a poorer area with a large push to having local & military kids to spend the week, so not $$$, plus they only stay Sunday afternoon through Friday evening. (We get Friday supper on our way home.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

DS, 13, has never gone to a sleepaway camp. He's not super independent and I think his ADHD and some anxiety factor in. Last year, we tried to talk him into going to a three-day basketball camp at my alma mater. He was giving it some thought and then started freaking out about the shower. He has this huge thing about new showers -- how to turn them on, how to control the water temperatures, etc. I told her we would check in with him and show him how to use it. But after a few days had passed, he decided he didn't want to go, so we didn't push it.

Our city Y division has a summer camp at a lake that offers day and overnight camping. He's aged out of the day program, but is still eligible for the night. I'm going to see if he wants to try it. I feel like he needs to get over it, but we also don't want to push.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I worked at an overnight camp a couple of years in college. It was 1 week sessions (some kids came for 2-3 weeks, but most just for 1) and I think their official policy was that minimum age was 7, but we did occasionally get a couple of 6 year olds and even a 5 year old once (both of her older sisters were also there that week). I would say that by 9-10 most kids did great. If they got homesick they were able to communicate their feelings, what would help, etc. There were a lot of 7-8 year olds who really just weren't quite ready for it.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mine only ever did a week per summer so maybe not what you are considering- just wanted to state that off the top.
    I'm thinking just a week. I'd love to find something that was even shorter, say 2 or 3 nights.

DS, 13, has never gone to a sleepaway camp. He's not super independent and I think his ADHD and some anxiety factor in. Last year, we tried to talk him into going to a three-day basketball camp at my alma mater. He was giving it some thought and then started freaking out about the shower. He has this huge thing about new showers -- how to turn them on, how to control the water temperatures, etc.
    Sounds very similar to DS, who's about to turn 12, ADHD/ASD. I feel like being outdoors for a week/away from screens would be so good for him. But he needs so much oversight on tasks, esp bedtime and in the morning. I don't want him to get teased because he put his shirt on inside out and backwards (not uncommon when I pick him up from school, PE is the last unit of the day). He loved the day nature camp he did right the summer before the pandemic, so I like to think he'd get into it once he was there.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/O sleepaway camp - what age?

Dd2 would’ve gone at 7 (when she saw a bunch of kids getting ready to go at Girl Scout Camp). The minimum age at GS camp and I believe Camp Fire Camp was 9 years old. The minimum age for YMCA camp was 8 years old and she went with no issues two years in a row. She did not go in 2020 but went again in 2021 and was supposed to go in 2022 but tested positive for Covid so she could not go. I am sure she wants to go again this year when she is 13. Dd2 has inattentive AdHd. She is only medicated when in school. The only activities she doesn’t do as much as we thought she would was swimming but she says that is because the pool is cold. She has boat anxiety as well but the camp she went to in 2021 was not on a lake so it was a non issue.

Dd1 has never shown an interest in going to sleepaway camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-28-2023 at 12:48 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have lots of thoughts but I am completely biased in favor of sleep away camps and believe there is one for everyone but you need to look carefully at them. I have a kid who I had to push to go. She expressed extreme anxiety before going and even said she hated it the year before. If I didn't know better, I would have believed her. By going back, she grew so much. Her confidence level is amazing. My oldest was almost 9 her first summer. My youngest was even younger. My youngest never had an issue. The younger, the better for many camps. My girls go to a camp where most kids start at 8, 9 or 10 and continue until 15. It is harder to start at later ages but happens and those kids can be successful too. I am happy to answer any specific questions.

My memory is slightly fuzzy but I think DSs started sleepaway camp around 2nd-4th grade. DD was a rising 1st grader and barely 6 years old her first year - the camp's youngest age. She's a third kid, outgoing and her best friend went along but I'm not sure most kids would be ready at 6. I think the key is to attend with a friend. It doesn't have to be a best friend but someone familiar. DS1 and DD were always more independent but DS2 grumbled about going every year until he was around middle school. We sent him anyway and it was a good push for him. He reported having a few nights with tears at bedtime since his mind and body were calm but it was a growing experience. Now he loves camp and last year even went without a friend since his buddy backed out. Tried new activities and had a blast. We send them to traditional camps - no electronics allowed - swimming in lakes, campfire sign-a-longs, obstacle courses, camp games, rustic cabins, and the works.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    DS, 13, has never gone to a sleepaway camp. He's not super independent and I think his ADHD and some anxiety factor in. Last year, we tried to talk him into going to a three-day basketball camp at my alma mater. He was giving it some thought and then started freaking out about the shower. He has this huge thing about new showers -- how to turn them on, how to control the water temperatures, etc. I told her we would check in with him and show him how to use it. But after a few days had passed, he decided he didn't want to go, so we didn't push it.

Our city Y division has a summer camp at a lake that offers day and overnight camping. He's aged out of the day program, but is still eligible for the night. I'm going to see if he wants to try it. I feel like he needs to get over it, but we also don't want to push.
    I'm pretty sure you are talking about the camp my kids have attended for years, although DS1 (junior counselor this year) and DD switched over to the big Y camp in the mountains due to friends. DS2 is enrolled for this summer in WF. My boys have also done the sleepover sports camps at the local universities. While they were good, they are completely different than the traditional summer camps. For a kid who is hesitant, I highly suggest the one in WF over sports camps. The counselors are specifically trained to help kids apprehensive about being there. Homesickness is normal and handled. The sports camps run the training sessions, meal sessions and a few other activities but our experience is that the boys were on their own more and downtime was full of kids on their phones. There wasn't as much structure - more hanging out. Not necessarily a negative but I would think kids hesitant towards sleepaway camp have more success in a traditional camp. Registration opens sometime in October and fills pretty quickly.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I have lots of thoughts but I am completely biased in favor of sleep away camps and believe there is one for everyone but you need to look carefully at them. I have a kid who I had to push to go. She expressed extreme anxiety before going and even said she hated it the year before. If I didn't know better, I would have believed her. By going back, she grew so much. Her confidence level is amazing. My oldest was almost 9 her first summer. My youngest was even younger. My youngest never had an issue. The younger, the better for many camps. My girls go to a camp where most kids start at 8, 9 or 10 and continue until 15. It is harder to start at later ages but happens and those kids can be successful too. I am happy to answer any specific questions.
    YES!! I am so strongly in favor of summer sleepaway camp after seeing the growth and confidence in my kids, especially DS2, my anxiety kid.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast