Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update #49: Favorite off site but close to DisneyWorld resorts…. Pros/Cons….

This is way far into the future (potential trip Feb., 2024 for dance nationals at WDW for Dd1), but Dh and I decided that we would like to take a trip to WDW next year as Dd1 will be a senior in high school. Unless the group package (offered by Varsity Spirit) is a really great deal (or we can take advantage of one of Dd1’s teammate’s dad’s Disney employee discount….he told us we could if we end up going….I will take that with a grain of salt though until the plan is fully in place for next year) I anticipate that we will be staying off site because it is just such a better deal. Dd1 and her team stayed at Coronado Springs and really liked it.

Which resorts are the closest to the parks/monorail/transit center/parking garages?

I would like a suite with a kitchen (like a Homewood Suites/Residence Inn).

Is parking at the parks really a pain if we have a car?

Do some hotels have better shuttles than others?

Is a shuttle that drops you off at the Disney Transit Center an okay option or is that annoying because you have to ride two busses?

If we don’t have a car what are the options for transit from the airport?

(FWIW: we would also probably take a day and go to Universal).

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-26-2023 at 01:46 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Really, really try and make onsite work. It makes things so nice transportation wise. Art of Animation has good family suites and is on the fantastic Skyliner. All Stars is cheaper and has family suites too. We have now stayed at Dolphin (fantastic location and walkable to Epcot and Hollywood Studios- or take the ferry) and Art of Animation. Both stays allowed for us to take easy mid-day breaks...which we needed on our trips with and without kids. No need to rent a car so you offset some of that expense. I have Swan booked for our next trip but might change to another hotel in that same area or the Riviera when those rates come out.

You don't want to rely on offsite hotel shuttles. Their schedules are usually pretty terrible for maximizing park time. Some require a fee. Some require reservations.

I would consider are the official Disney Springs if you are committed to offsite hotels https://disneyspringshotels.com/our-hotels/ Better transportation and early park entry perk.

The new Flamingo Crossing complex has a lot of the long stay type hotels so that's an area to explore too.

Uber or Lyft was easy for the airport. Would work too for Universal.

A shuttle to the TTC would be tedious but if you want to save money then you need to decide what your priorities are. Me? Walking back to my hotel and hopping on the Skyliner are worth the $...and I have managed to convince dh that it's totally worth it too. He thought the amount I paid was crazy but understood once he was there.

All Star family suites:
    "In terms of basics, these 520 square foot suites have two full baths, a kitchenette with microwave, a full-sized refrigerator & freezer, sink, and single-cup coffee maker. The main bedroom in the family suite has a queen bed and 55″ flat screen TV above the dresser.The second room has two pull-down queen beds and another 55″ flat screen TV above the dresser. One of the two bathrooms has a tub-shower combo, whereas the other is strictly a walk-in shower."
    https://www.disneytouristblog.com/al...resort-review/
    They are nice! But, reliant only on buses. I would personally pay more to stay at Art of Animation but wanted to share that All Star suite offering.

Also look at the condos at Bonnet Creek. Super close and spacious. On-site still wins for me but it’s another choice

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Call me spoiled, but on-site wins for me as well. Stuff is SO spread out there, and the tons of cars, confusing roads/loops, giant parking areas... We've liked the moderate resorts and heating up some easy stuff like bags of lentils, bags of premade salads. I would not want to be going to the grocery or walmart there unless we had grandparents we needed to cater to who were staying at the place we were staying.

Being car-free is a vacation for me. They're fancier than the moderates, but Swan and Dolphin were fun to stay at, and we got to use some points from FIL's account.

Chiming to say on-site is just so much better overall for ease and simplicity of returning back to hotel middays. I always recommend those to out of state visitors who have to fly in. It’ll really offset your car rental expense for lower option to moderate onsite stays.

We’ve stayed 4 different on sites over the years; Polysenian, Yacht Club and All stars. Neighbor of mine stayed at Bonnet Creek which is offsite but very close to property, so out of all off site, bonnet creek would be one I’d focus. And book soon.

It’s not really that far off. 2025 is far off but you’re talking about 10 months out which is good time to start booking hotels and tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

You can’t book 2024 yet for Disney unless I’m missing something? I booked Swan via Bonvoy but the Disney calendar is grayed out past 12/31/2023

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try to tweak the budget and stay on site. Unless you plan to go the private guide route, you will be blocked out of the headliner rides. On site guests get access to those first. We have stayed at Polynesian and Art of Animation. I preferred the room we had at A of A. We booked Polynesian when they were under construction so we had a steal of a rate. Arriving early is key to being able to ride plenty of rides. At the end of the night when everyone is cranky and exhausted you will be glad it’s just one shuttle ride to your room.

Default Favorite off site but close to DisneyWorld resorts…. Pros/Cons….

Thanks!

We are not staying at All Star Resort! That is where the bulk of the dancers stay and the coaches who are both in their mid to late 20s didn’t want to stay there last year because of the chaos (one coach attended in 2014 or 2015 so not that long ago and said it was enough). That is why they upgraded and stayed at Coronado Springs. Transportation was included to and from the airport.

I could look at renting some DVC places as well. I do know some people who have DVC memberships but they use their points yearly so I doubt they would be willing to sell them.

Yes you cannot book with Disney past 12/31/23 (I looked it up earlier).

Food wise will probably do an instacart order. Dd1 said one of the moms did that for water, fruit, and breakfast food for their room so they didn’t have to eat out at every meal, especially breakfast. Dd1 was not a huge overall fan of the food at WDW; but they mainly did quick service.

I did read about the Flamingo Springs area and people here raved about Wyndham Bonnet Creek as well. Any other Bonnet Creek resorts have good reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    …..We have stayed at Polynesian and Art of Animation. I preferred the room we had at A of A. We booked Polynesian when they were under construction so we had a steal of a rate. Arriving early is key to being able to ride plenty of rides. At the end of the night when everyone is cranky and exhausted you will be glad it’s just one shuttle ride to your room.
    What did you like and dislike about these resorts? What made one better than the other?

Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-03-2023 at 01:55 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Why do you need a kitchen? Is a fridge and microwave good? Aside from an afternoon rest, I wasn’t really in my room and, if I was, there’s no interest in cooking. The Instacart order works fine in the fridge microwave provided on site.
    I wouldn’t choose All Star but I assumed you were dismissing on-site due to cost and expected room layout. Otherwise I can’t think of a reason to stay offsite.
    I liked AoA due to easy transportation with the Skyliner.

Default Favorite off site but close to DisneyWorld resorts…. Pros/Cons….

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Why do you need a kitchen? Is a fridge and microwave good? Aside from an afternoon rest, I wasn’t really in my room and, if I was, there’s no interest in cooking. The Instacart order works fine in the fridge microwave provided on site.
    I wouldn’t choose All Star but I assumed you were dismissing on-site due to cost and expected room layout. Otherwise I can’t think of a reason to stay offsite.
    I liked AoA due to easy transportation with the Skyliner.

I just thought for ease of cooking and what not for food storage but if the provided in room fridge and microwave works well then that is fine. I also feel like you get a better deal with slightly more space than you do with a regular room. AoA has family suites. Yes I thought we could at least explore potentially get a better deal off site. So while Swan and Dolphin aren’t owned by Disney they are onsite so they still get the special Disney perks of being a Disney owned hotel. I saw that one is a Westin, and one is a Sheraton.

Also are the AoA resort rooms truly obnoxious? They look obnoxious on the websites (as do most of the value resort rooms tbh). I don’t need a Disney themed room down to the last detail, but I do like the idea of the hotel being reachable by a gondola system.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-03-2023 at 02:49 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast