Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default College Tours -- Logistically, How Are You Doing Them?

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    …..then didn’t like any of the two or three school they were accepted to once they actually visited. ….
    This why we visited. I am sure she may still apply to a few that she hasn’t visited but she has a core list she likes now if she is admitted next year. If she ends up with no schools she truly likes then community college for a year or two it is. My husband will have a hard time paying for college for just a college that is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Lol! Also, kids change. I'm always amazed when I see HS freshman & sophomores visiting colleges. My eldest grew SO much between freshman & senior year. The college he would have liked in his junior year was not the one he chose in April 30 his senior Year. Now, it was 2020-2021, so he couldn't visit until after acceptance and he probably changed more because of the pandemic than he might have otherwise. I would say if you do visit early you need to visit again after acceptance. I am nervous because my youngest has nixed some of his choices after college tours which has left him with 4 schools he's interested in. This is going to be a challenge.
    I do agree that thoughts on colleges changed. Freshman year Dd knew she wanted to go away. Summer between freshman year and sophomore year she was all about saying she wanted to go to the east coast. We drove around a college area in Pittsburgh, but she still wanted to go to the east coast. Started talking about California colleges mid sophomore year and started visiting within California (furthest school was 4 or 5 hours away). One of the schools she thought she really liked then is now in the mild like/maybe she’ll apply there category now. Starting junior year she sat through a few online presentations for mainly east coast universities, did and in person presentations and visited more schools mid junior year and added two more schools she wasn’t really interested in prior (one she had no idea about at all TBH and that ended up being the favorite of that trip; the other three were busts) and crossed off a big “perceived like” school (due to name and prestige). I am sure something will change in the next year during the application, acceptance process, and committing process. Now if I can just get her to add a few true California safeties to her list or LACs that offer a lot of merit/scholarship aid and admit a lot of students then that will put me more at ease (but tbh I think the small LAC schools are too small for her at less than 3500 students). This process has been way different than even I expected to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-16-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I’ve taken my kids to many schools throughout the years when we’ve travelled. Now that we’re closer, I will be taking DS1 to see more east coast schools while we’re out there this June. It’s not so much about picking a specific school as much as helping him identify the type of environment he’d like best. We need to do the West Coast next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5