Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: College help

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default College help

UPDATE: So it seems daughter is a little all over the place. Her college is very much like her high school and it seems like she really wants something different where she can try to be different.

Where she seems to have landed is that she wants an artsy, nerdy school (high level of academics) where she can basically "be a different person" if that makes sense. In other words, she's done the high achieving, wealthy, "sporty" atmosphere during high school and her first year in College and now wants something different. Still wants high achieving but a more arty vibe and more opportunities to feel comfortable exploring the language options and I think that is where the diversity comes in. More native speakers of foreign languages. She mentioned trying to find a school that has a Spanish house where students live and speak Spanish. She has relaxed the "driving distance" thing but she definitely would not feel comfortable going to a red state.

If anyone has updated recommendations, I would love to hear them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter is considering transferring. She goes to a SLOC in the Northeast and is finding that the vibe isn't quite to her liking. At the time she was applying, she was planning to do a sport in college, which she did but then she got injured and has now decided that is not for her. Part of what she doesn't like about her current school is it's jocular vibe.

Study abroad programs, particularly Spanish and/or Italian
    Diversity that doesn’t feel forced by the school
    Campus that is integrated into the local town and well regarded by the town
    Artsy vibe but not stoner artsy vibe
    Trail running/outdoor exercise/ability for outdoor adventures
    Photography for non-majors
    More liberal state
    Robust Music/choir/voice lessons - high caliber for non-majors
    Spanish house (where you can live and speak in Spanish)

One thing she's noticed is that the caliber of arts & music at her high school was higher than at College and she is hoping for something similar to her HS in College.
    If anyone has leads, I would love to hear it. I think she would also like something where the kids are invested academically and sports are not the major focus of most of the kids.
    Last edited by chlobo; 05-25-2023 at 04:11 PM.

How big? Vassar and Wesleyan are artsy. Middlebury has more nature and lots of language opportunities. Maybe something in Amherst, in that consortium. I think Bates is supposed to be artsy as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The NE covers a really large area. Can you give more of a target area/ radius?

How big of a school would be too big?

How close does it need to be to a city? Or, is a huge school in the middle of nowhere doable- like Penn State? It sounds to me like she would like a big school. Don't rule out the big football schools because while it seems the world revolves around (or basketball...) there are so many students doing other things that it is entirely possible NOT to make that the experience.

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My first thought was Middlebury.
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The NE covers a really large area. Can you give more of a target area/ radius?

How big of a school would be too big?

How close does it need to be to a city? Or, is a huge school in the middle of nowhere doable- like Penn State? It sounds to me like she would like a big school. Don't rule out the big football schools because while it seems the world revolves around (or basketball...) there are so many students doing other things that it is entirely possible NOT to make that the experience.
    Yes to all of this without knowing more details. I went to a large school with major division 1 sports and while I didn’t go to every football game it was fun. I did plenty of other things and tbh I only went to a handful of basketball games in the two seasons I was there because most of them were mid week.

There is such a wide variety of colleges that it is hard to match someone over the internet without knowing them of the specific area where they are from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree with the pp who suggested Middlebury. You can’t beat their language offerings, and it certainly seems integrated into the town.

Haverford also comes to mind. It has a beautiful campus and it had a Spanish house when I went there many moons ago. I remember a friend taking photography - that wasn’t her major. You also have the advantage of taking classes at Bryan Mawr. I took some french and a lot of Italian courses there. I probably wouldn’t describe it as artsy, but when I went there it had a laid back yet serious about academics vibe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    My daughter is considering transferring. She goes to a SLOC in the Northeast and is finding that the vibe isn't quite to her liking. At the time she was applying, she was planning to do a sport in college, which she did but then she got injured and has now decided that is not for her. Part of what she doesn't like about her current school is it's jocular vibe.

Here is what she is hoping for in another school. We live in the Northeast and she doesn't want to fly so within driving distance.

Study abroad programs, particularly Spanish and/or Italian
    Diversity that doesn’t feel forced by the school
    Campus that is integrated into the local town and well regarded by the town
    Artsy vibe but not stoner artsy vibe
    Trail running/outdoor exercise/ability for outdoor adventures
    Photography for non-majors
    More liberal state
    Robust Music/choir/voice lessons - high caliber for non-majors
    Spanish house (where you can live and speak in Spanish)

One thing she's noticed is that the caliber of arts & music at her high school was higher than at College and she is hoping for something similar to her HS in College.
    If anyone has leads, I would love to hear it. I think she would also like something where the kids are invested academically and sports are not the major focus of most of the kids.
    My first thought is Ithaca - based only on the fact that my daughter's vocal coach went there and she's incredibly talented. Not sure if Emerson ticks all the boxes either, but I loved it there and it seems like it ticks some of them.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

UVM? It's not small, but I also don't think is huge with 11k,(my DD goes to Illinois which has 45k).It checks a lot of the boxes you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    UVM? It's not small, but I also don't think is huge with 11k,(my DD goes to Illinois which has 45k).It checks a lot of the boxes you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Ooh. I think 11k is a really great school size. Will keep it on our radar for ds2.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Trinity or Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast