Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am EATING UP the high waisted pants trend and I don't care if it's a trend because high-waisted works for my body type (and I do agree that it looks good on some body types and not others). I'm tall-ish and slender and have a long torso, wide hips, and a tummy pouch of extra skin that hangs over low-waisted pants (VERY UNFLATTERING) so the high-waisted styles work especially well for me!

I love high waisted wide leg styles, and I also love high waisted jeans with a slim, straight leg. I wear them with crop tees (I've never owned crop tees in my life until the high waisted pants became trendy and easy to get a hold of!), and regular tees (untucked) work just as well with high-waisted pants.

I do like to tuck in tops with a thinner fabric so that it's not so bulky. But again, I do think that since I'm taller/slender, it works for me since I have a lot of torso real-estate to work with.

For work I love high waisted trousers with a blouse or shell tucked in for a retro/classic look. Throw on a blazer or cardigan and done!

My go to for jeans nowadays is Madewell and they have styles of all different rises - low, mid, high. I love Nordstrom Rack because fit is very dependent on the specific style and I can return anything that doesn't work to the local store.

I totally agree to pick styles that flatter YOU! And if high-waisted isn't it, then don't do it! You can look completely classic and pulled together in a mid-rise or low-rise style that works for your body. And I don't know if this is good or bad but I've been having my teens help me with what looks good on me vs what doesn't.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-26-2023 at 07:34 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used to hate them but now i love them. i'm definitely an apple with a short torso and incredibly long-lean legs, so shorter tops + high waisted jeans actually works pretty well on me to help give a defined waist.

my faves for high waisted jeans is Madewell, then maybe Everlane.
    Cropped tops or semi-crop tops work very well with them.

IMO for me Low-waisted jeans definitely are a '00s thing or for very young people with tight, flat stomachs . which totally isn't me lol.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK. Let's talk about stomachs. So doing some research I'm almost positive my new "tummy" issue is related to hormones and peri-menopause. As opposed to prior tummy issues which were a little different. It is funny because when low rise pants were all the range I was a new mom and had "saddlebags" from trying to lose my baby weight. I gained it mostly in my hips and thighs. Like the low rise pants were the worst for that! When the weight finally came off, the saddlebags were gone. My current "tummy" is all in the front, a place I've never had weight gain before! So ironically, I think low rise pants would be better for me. Hear me out. If my pants were low, you would no longer see those saddlebags. My waist is narrow. My tummy starts LOW. Such that when I wear high waisted pants from the side you'll see a flat tummy and then a little pouch right above my crotch, lol. If they were low, the bend of the jean might disguise it a little better than having that pouch be flat and THEN bump out. Maybe a jean with strong, tight fabric will do what I need to be able to disguise it? It is worth playing around with. But I may just have to wait for the next trend, may it mesh with whatever my body is doing at that time, lol! There have been some good ideas here!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    OK. Let's talk about stomachs. So doing some research I'm almost positive my new "tummy" issue is related to hormones and peri-menopause. As opposed to prior tummy issues which were a little different. It is funny because when low rise pants were all the range I was a new mom and had "saddlebags" from trying to lose my baby weight. I gained it mostly in my hips and thighs. Like the low rise pants were the worst for that! When the weight finally came off, the saddlebags were gone. My current "tummy" is all in the front, a place I've never had weight gain before! So ironically, I think low rise pants would be better for me. Hear me out. If my pants were low, you would no longer see those saddlebags. My waist is narrow. My tummy starts LOW. Such that when I wear high waisted pants from the side you'll see a flat tummy and then a little pouch right above my crotch, lol. If they were low, the bend of the jean might disguise it a little better than having that pouch be flat and THEN bump out. Maybe a jean with strong, tight fabric will do what I need to be able to disguise it? It is worth playing around with. But I may just have to wait for the next trend, may it mesh with whatever my body is doing at that time, lol! There have been some good ideas here!
    So I do think a low rise can help in some situations, I know folks with tummy pouches that do better with low rise pants (using the waistband of the pants to hold in the pouch), and the right top to cover. I have a tummy pouch but it's not from weight gain, it's all this extra skin from my pregnancy so it's all loose/wrinkly, and I also have a diastasis so everything just hangs out front. The bottom of my loose-skin pouch does hit right above my crotch - SIGH. I've found that I love 1) High waisted jeans that are FITTED around the waist and hips - a good 100% cotton rigid jean helps hold that pouch in and make it look less...pouchy but I have to experiment to find the right size. And, it's hard to zip up, but once I'm locked and loaded, it's all good. The key is rigid 100% cotton with no stretch. I own a couple of crop tops now, which I would NEVER have thought I would do! I like the slightly longer crop tops that are long enough to cover any skin while wearing high-waisted pants. And 2) High waisted pants with pleats - I love that this style is in right now because then I can wear a loose, wide-leg high-waisted trouser and the pleats hide the pouch. My favorite work pants are a wide-leg high-waisted (elastic waist!) pleated trouser from Madewell. I pair them with a more fitted top, tucked in, to balance it out the fullness of the pants, and in the spring/fall/winter I wear with booties with a bit of heel to make my legs look longer.

But definitely do what works for you. I loved low-rise pants in my 20s but they don't work for me anymore...I can see how they might work for you though! I'm thinking about men's jeans too - men with tummies definitely do better with a lower rise that hits below, and not above.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-31-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Have you tried Athleta jeans? They are not that high, and they have the most amazing stretchy panel that holds everything in. They are the only jeans I wear, skinny or not.

I have managed to get them during some pretty good sales. The last pair we bought was less than $40 during the most recent memorial day sale. Between myself and DD, we have 5 pairs. Two white skinnies, two blue skinnies, and one blue ankle length that is not fitted at the ankle.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Late to this thread but 20+ years ago when low rise jeans were all the rage (think Christina, and Britney late 90s/early 2000s) I couldn’t do low rise jeans because I have a lot of space between my waist and my crotch. Low rise jeans in my size barely made it half way up my hips. So mid rise to high waist jeans have always been my friends. My current favorites are Old Navy Kicker boot cut jeans. I will say I have never had luck with “mom jean” brands like Not Your Daughter’s Jeans though. I have also at times had to buy tall jeans and get a few inches hemmed off the bottom because they had more space from the crotch to my waist; I have a 32” inseam as well so not all 30” to 31” inseam jeans work for me. I end up having to go jeans shopping for all new brands every could of years when jeans styles change, and I usually don’t have great luck with anything trendy either. I also have had decent luck with Kut From the Kloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2