Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Share these dates earlier!!

Come on new school, couldn't you have shared this date BEFORE everyone started to make summer plans??

DD1 is starting middle school this August. In making all our summer plans, I carefully checked all the school calendars, etc. to make sure she wouldn't miss open house or any planned middle school activities. Now, just today, the middle school shares a "6th grade orientation" they've planned for students....several weeks before school starts, right in the middle of prime vacation time (i.e. - it's in the middle of July, we start early here). Of course we're not only out of town, but fully across the entire country!

I realize that there's no perfect date that would work for everyone, but this middle school had parent orientation and a 5th grade "sneak peek" for middle school several months ago.....why could they not have shared the date then?? We know *many* people who will be out of town during this newly scheduled orientation, so I know DD won't be the only one missing and will be fine....but I'm frustrated by the fact most people (ok, ME!) could have planned around it if they'd only let us know a couple months ago.

(and from all I've heard it's a great school with amazing people and I do know how incredibly busy and overworked every teacher/staff at schools are, everywhere, and that the fact they're doing this at all is wonderful and I shouldn't complain.....but for my high-anxiety, does-so-much-better-when-she-knows-what-to-expect DD, I am bummed! But that's why I'm complaining here and won't complain in real life or anything)
    Lizi

How frustrating!!!!! Generally those things should be a week before school starts, not in the middle of the summer
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Ugh, I am annoyed for you!

On a similar note, I still have no idea when my kids first day of school is for next school year. I am assuming it is sometime during the last few days of August like usual. But at least 2 neighboring districts aren’t starting until after Labor Day this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Ugh, I am annoyed for you!

On a similar note, I still have no idea when my kids first day of school is for next school year. I am assuming it is sometime during the last few days of August like usual. But at least 2 neighboring districts aren’t starting until after Labor Day this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reminder to check next year's calendar at DGD2's school. That’s one of the districts that won’t start until the day after Labor Day, definitely a change from previous years.

At least with DGD1 in college, my family won’t be juggling DGD2's 2 one-week vacations (in Feb and April) with her older sibling's two-week private school vacation in March!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

I feel your frustration, something similar happened to us last year with 6th grade, orientation was a few weeks before school instead of the week before (or even week of, they don't start until Wed), no heads up til right before and we were out of town.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I planned a vacation based on the last day of school for the last 8 years and graduation date. It has always been the Friday of the 2nd full week of June no matter how many snow days. . . Fast forward this year, they announced 2 weeks ago (the snow has been gone a long time). that school will end June 21 this year. Well, we are now missing the last week of school. First time in 8 years . . . You tell us after the start of May when school will end. June 21 - who even goes that long. And frankly, we did not have that many snow days! Only like 6 or 7.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    I planned a vacation based on the last day of school for the last 8 years and graduation date. It has always been the Friday of the 2nd full week of June no matter how many snow days. . . Fast forward this year, they announced 2 weeks ago (the snow has been gone a long time). that school will end June 21 this year. Well, we are now missing the last week of school. First time in 8 years . . . You tell us after the start of May when school will end. June 21 - who even goes that long. And frankly, we did not have that many snow days! Only like 6 or 7.
    We have definitely gone that late in June especially with snow days. But our school calendar always indicates the last day off school if there were no snow days and if there were 5 snow days, so you can still make plans a year in advance. Then they announce the last day of school sometime in April. It does seem very weird to not announce when the last day is until May.

OP - That stinks that they would put the orientation in the middle of summer.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Well, if it’s any consolation to you OP the orientation is probably going to be a big nothing. There are basically zero staff members that show up to ours because it’s held during a contracted break and the teachers etc. aren’t going to spend their vacation prepping and being there. Instead it’s 100% the admin and support staff who have 12 month positions. At the middle school a lot of the classrooms are BARE for summer too. We had an open house where you could go find each classroom and it was so devoid of life beyond the middle schoolers. I think they like to see where their classes are and their friends, but honestly the event is a bit more anxiety producing than helpful.

Ha, we always get out that late! When Juneteenth became a day off we generally get that and then have 1-2 school days after, and that’s without snow days. Our snow days always push against the last day they can even hold classes since contracts are up June 30. I was shocked to see we will get out before Juneteenth next school year if there aren’t snow days to make up.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

The planner in me is always amazed at how little notice people give. I have plans for my plans.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

... June 21 - who even goes that long. ...
    *waves in New Jersey*

DD's last day of school is 6/21, regardless of snow days.
    If we use more than 3, they start taking days from Spring Break.
    If we don't use the days, we get them back at Memorial Day. We didn't use any, so have a 5-day weekend coming up.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast