Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    The planner in me is always amazed at how little notice people give. I have plans for my plans.
    I'm not a planner, but I get frustrated when only a handful of dates are available or a program I might want to participate in/register for isn't communicated early & often.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

--- waves back; from the other side of US, Washington State - - -

Our last day of school was scheduled 6/21 also, but with snow days our last day is now 6/26. I don't know who they expect to show up on 6/26, as a Monday with a three hour early release... but it won't be us.

But yes the not sharing info is a pain in the rear. DS is an 8th grader, and we're still waiting to register for high school classes and for open house info. Our date (auto generated) to register for classes is 1pm 6/13, which is right in the middle of his ELA final at his current school 90 minutes away. Still waiting for the high school to get back to me about an alternate time. Is this normal? We just got assigned a day/time (recieved yesterday 5/22) and are expected to rearrange our life to make it happen. Which is still better than conferences, which were one day only anounced less than a week in advance.

I don't think the schools realize that we can't all just drop everything and make thier choices work. Maybe they think we're all June Cleaver, in our heels and pearls making cookies? With no other children or work or other responsibilities?

It is frustrating. Imo, sometimes the preview or open house is worthwhile or not depending on localities of kids school districts. It was useful for me, and my then 6th grader, I think the school knew to have another date available as first choice was like first week of August which is prime vacation time for many families too!

It is so hard to settle on a date that works for majority of families. Especially knowing teachers are only contracted for 10 months, so the open house like my 4th grader is happening week before they’re done for the summer. I liked that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    It is frustrating. Imo, sometimes the preview or open house is worthwhile or not depending on localities of kids school districts. It was useful for me, and my then 6th grader, I think the school knew to have another date available as first choice was like first week of August which is prime vacation time for many families too!

It is so hard to settle on a date that works for majority of families. Especially knowing teachers are only contracted for 10 months, so the open house like my 4th grader is happening week before they’re done for the summer. I liked that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, my almost-7th grader had his Jr High Orientation and school tour on an evening in February. But they also had to have their schedules chosen by the end of March. Then last week, they took a field trip to the Jr High for another tour during the school day and when school starts in August the 7th graders start a fay earlier than 8th/9th so they can find their lockers and classes without so much traffic and chaos.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, I'm so sorry! That happened to DS2 upon entry into high school. I'm a huge planner AND I like these types of events. In typical BBB fashion I like entering new things armed with knowledge and practice. I will say that the more of these events that I attend, the less I've been impressed with them? I'm not saying they're of no worth. For me it is worth it alone to help me FEEL like I'm prepared. But also I have become more relaxed about it if one of my kids (or me!) has to miss some kind of orientation or open house, as they haven't always been these power houses of information that I was hoping. It still stinks though and I still think the dates on these things should be prepared like at least as soon as they set the starting day for the school year!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That would bug me, too, especially for a 6th grader. Someone upthread mentioned that these orientations are useless, and that's been our experience, too, but it's still the first event for your kid's time in middle school. I'd be upset for my kid to have to miss it when all it would take was some more advance notice.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Chiming in, feel your pain. Yesterday afternoon DS’s teacher posted that today was “family day” and we could bring and eat lunch with our kids outside and play with them at recess. This was the first mention of it! Since I am a SAHM, there’s no reason for me not to go, but since this is the last week of school for the kids, I had things I wanted to accomplish before school lets out.

Additionally, the Y only puts out short schedules and the current schedule ends May 31, but they NEVER put new schedules up until the old one is over. I would like to PLAN and I can’t because I have no information other that the knowledge that their schedule is VERY different in the summer due to their day camp.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    *waves in New Jersey*

DD's last day of school is 6/21, regardless of snow days.
    If we use more than 3, they start taking days from Spring Break.
    If we don't use the days, we get them back at Memorial Day. We didn't use any, so have a 5-day weekend coming up.
    NY here... DD was supposed to go until 6/23 but we didn't use any snow days and she now ends the 16th. DS has finals and state regents exams so he's until the 20th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2