Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default CHICAGO without Kids

So we're in the late-planning stages of a 3 night, 4 day trip to Chicago with another couple. Never been (seeing the inside of my office near O'Hare for 3 solid days doesn't count!).

Anyone want to help with an itinerary?

The husbands have a stadium tour booked and then a Cubs game.

Friday - arrive 1-2pm
    Saturday - open
    Sunday - husbands have a stadium tour booked and then a Cubs game. So the wives will have the majority of the day and then we'll all come back together later afternoon/evening
    Monday - Fly out around 2pm

Here's what we have on our mental lists (taken from various posts, etc)

We have 3 hotels booked, not sure which one offers the best location/safety wise and walkability. Suggestions? Experience?
    InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile | IHG Hotels
    Hotels in River North Chicago, Illinois | SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown
    Chicago Hotel Deals & Offers from The Godfrey Hotel

Pizza options (one w/ reservations would be ideal)
    Pizano's
    Pequods
    Lou Malnati's
    Giordano's
    Pizzeria Uno (Original)

Sites to see:
    The Bean/Millenium Park
    Hop on/off Big Bus Tours (any recommendations? Figured this might give us the best way to see the sites, easily)
    Navy Pier
    Willis Tour (what time of day would be best?)
    Architectural Tour (boat? land?)

What are the "big" things we should see?

Suggestions for the women on Sunday? We both love a great spa but not a ridiculous amount of $$ either. We have amazing shopping and Broadway within reach. But certainly not opposed to show tickets!

Anxious to get this nailed down so we're not staring at each other like hey...what's next? Or what should we do?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Skip the bus. I never understood the appeal of sitting in traffic. Chicago is walkable- just head on out. Catch the El if you want to save some steps. I would do a boat tour though.

Field Museum, Art Institute and Museum of Science and Industry are all worth consideration.

I like sunset for any tall towers. We did the other one- 360 Chicago. We got a package that let us come up twice in a day (or a 24 hour period? Can't remember now) and it was nice to see things in both settings.

I would add seeing a show at Second City, maybe?

I'd go to the Cubs game and tour too!

On my recent friend trip I got the app Wanderlog and loved it! I put all my ideas into it (rough geographic grouping per day) then had it optimize my day. You can manually move things if it wants to put your dinner spot in your breakfast spot, for example. Then it provides easy direction between the points as well as other handy things (hours, website...). I had so many ideas but really couldn't settle up on any plan. This was awesome and you can easily share the itinerary with others.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

See if you can get on that stadium tour and Cubs game, seriously would be an awesome experience, Wrigley is great (assuming it's Wrigley and not Comisky/Guaranteed Rate Field).

https://architecturetourchicago.com/
    Architecture Boat Tour, look at this one, they have the best docents. I can't recommend this enough, it gives such a great overview of the whole city, and the history of Chicago. Try to do this near the beginning of the trip if you can.

If you want to go out on Lake Michigan look at different type of tour.

Agree, I wouldn't do the hop on hop off bus. If you schedule the boat tour first, it will give you some great places to go explore. Lots of interesting neighborhoods to look around.

Lincoln Park Zoo, the whole park is pretty/free mostly a nice way to get some fresh air, not necessarily see animals. There is this beautiful spot, the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool that is a great spot to walk to.
    https://lincolnparkconservancy.org/p...ell-lily-pool/

Head over to Clark St and find someplace for a drink/to eat. I've heard this Puerto Rican place is very good.
    https://www.jibaritosdinein.com/

Rent some bikes and drive along the lakefront, it's flat and you get some great views as you go north or south.

Go along the Riverwalk, stop for drinks at City Winery.

The Bean is near the walkways of Maggie Daley Park which is another gem within the city (in the winter we skate on this Ribbon), that is a walkway in summer.

Navy Pier is ok, with kids usually a good spot, but you might skip it.

Hotel wise, I've stayed at the Intercontinental- they have a historic pool Jr. Olympic size that is Spanish style (was one of the first indoor pools in Chicago), it's right on Michigan Ave and close to everything. It's older but the rooms were nice. Springhill is pretty close to everything. Godfey also close to things, they charge an Urban free and some of the reviews aren't great. The Intercontinental may get you some great lake views if you are facing the right direction. All are within a highly traveled tourist area, that will have plenty of people around and perfectly safe. Obviously lots of bad press about Chicago but I know plenty of people who work downtown and others who have visited without issue, myself included.

As for museums, if you think you might come back with kids, I'd skip them, except for the Art Institute, especially if art is your thing. I'm not even into art and really enjoyed it. Also if it's raining a museum might work, but again if I didn't have kids, I 'd find a nice restaurant/lounge and do some shopping.

Go to the Signature Lounge in the Hancock Building for a cocktail and amazing view, the Sears/Willis tower is a huge time suck and not worth it.

You’ve gotten good suggestions above. For heaven’s sake, go to the Cubs game! That is the most fun of all the things on your list. It is not only about the baseball, it is a great atmosphere and a historic park. Wrigley and Fenway are the only 2 remaining truly historic ballparks.

Given no kids, I would totally avoid Navy Pier. It is rubber-neck-y/touristy and every visitor that has insisted I take them there has been disappointed. Agree with above about skipping the bus tour. I would also skip the gangster tour, if anyone suggests this. The Bean is a 5-minute photo op and nothing more (it is hard to get a photo without tons of other folks in it, however).

I like the architecture boat tour. I think the one run by the Historical Association is the best (there are a few competing boat tours). Agree on going to the Art Institute, but will warn that it is usually very crowded on Saturdays.

I am not a big spa person, so cannot help you there. I always think time spent in a spa is “lost time” in a new city as a spa experience is not Chicago-specific and can be had at your home town.

I would honestly focus on restaurants/enjoying a drink or 2 (sitting outside if possible), walking around shops on Michigan Ave, the Art Institute, and the Cubs game.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

On my recent friend trip I got the app Wanderlog and loved it! I put all my ideas into it (rough geographic grouping per day) then had it optimize my day. You can manually move things if it wants to put your dinner spot in your breakfast spot, for example. Then it provides easy direction between the points as well as other handy things (hours, website...). I had so many ideas but really couldn't settle up on any plan. This was awesome and you can easily share the itinerary with others.
    Thanks for the recommendation of the Wanderlog app, SunggleBuggles! I just downloaded it and it is awesome!

We are traveling to Chicago the middle of June with teens and my parents (70's). Most of us have never been before. We are all about the food. I have been researching a few options and wondered if any of you that have been there could tell me if I am on the right track or give suggestions? Also anything below we should avoid?

Best Italian beef sandwich: Al's #1 Italian Beef in Little Italy, Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood, or Portillo's

Hot Dogs: Superdawg, Portillo's

Pizza: Bongiorno's, Lou Malnati's, Spacca Napoli, Vito and Nick's Pizzeria

Quartino's, Au Cheval or Small Cheval, Smoque BBQ, Manny's Cafeteria and Deli, JP Gaziano Grocery (sandwiches)

Do-Rite Donuts, Garrett Popcorn

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate it!

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Johnnie's Beef is good, but there are a lot of great local places, Portillo's is meh. Weiner Circle is our fav for hotdogs.

I have been to Quartino's, it was so loud, and I didn't think anything special.

Manny's Cafeteria is good.

Garrett's Popcorn or Nuts on Clark- but don't wait in the huge line on Michigan Ave for Garrett's.

Pizza- Lou's is one of my fav, also Uno (the original one) and Pequod's.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Recommend tea at the drake for the ladies

https://www.thedrakehotel.com/dining...-afternoon-tea

You can then go shopping on Michigan Ave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would prioritize the Architecture Foundation’s boat tour. It’s amazing. The location of the InterCon is great for tourists. Where are you eating?

Check out West Loop/Fulton restaurants.

See the Bean/Millenium. I love Lincoln Park.

You should def Goto the Cubs game. I don’t care if you absolutely hate baseball. Cool stadium, nice neighborhood area, fun vibe.

I’m not tea at the Drake kind but many love it.

Do you have any museums planned? MCA and Art Institute are my Goto museums.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A boat tour is a must do! The Chicago Architecture Foundation has fantastic, knowledgeable docents, though I think there are lots of great options at this point.

Agree with going to Wrigley if you can - it's a special place.

A drink at the top of the John Hancock (Signature Lounge) is a great way to see the city from up high without too much time, money or effort.
    Here's another fun place for a drink with a view: http://www.cindysrooftop.com/ It's not at the top of a skyscraper (just a few floors up) but has great views of the bean/park/lakefront.

I agree with skipping Navy Pier, unless you're intent on going on the ferris wheel or taking a boat trip out onto the lake (both of which are fun, but still)

Renting bikes on the lakefront can be a great way to see the city. This is probably better earlier in the day, since the lakefront path can get busy in the afternoon

We live about an hour away... when we do get downtown and have time, we look for food that we don't have close to home - great authentic Korean, Ethiopian, Indian to name a few. The appeal might depend on what you have available nearby at home though.

Check what festivals are going on the weekend you are in town, then decide if you want to go check it out or avoid the crowd, lol.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I recently went to this rooftop bar and loved it: https://maps.app.goo.gl/cB6yh3vJBhTYgdnQ7?g_st=i The J. Parker
    (312) 254-4747

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast