Default June vacation ideas in the South US

We have completely ditched our Boston vacay plans for late June. We were initially planning on visiting colleges during our vacation week, but DD declared last night that she is just going to look at either UT Dallas or UT Austin. That means that I have a little less than a month to come up with a vacation plan. She wants to do some hiking, which is music to my ears. We've tried for YEARS to get them to do some hiking and sightseeing, but they have always been resistant. Now that it's DD's idea, I'm jumping on it. DDs will be 13 and just turning 17. They love theme parks and big roller coasters, and neither are fans of swimming/beaches/water sports.

Target dates are June 17 - June 25. We want to drive from the Austin area and are looking at anything with a maximum 2-day drive. DD would like to do some hiking, but nothing too difficult (thinking easy to moderate). I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis and don't want to break a hip, lol, and DH had a knee surgery in October. We are somewhat fit but don't want to push it too far. We do have some local places to hike for practice before we go. We would love something in the 80's or colder for hiking.

Here are the ideas I have come up with this morning:

1. Travel to the Smoky Mountains. It's been about 25 years since I've been there, and the rest of the family has never been. I was thinking that a final destination in the Knoxville/Pigeon Forge/Asheville area, as I remember this being particularly beautiful. Google Maps says Pigeon Forge is a 15 hour drive. Depending on which way we drive, there are tons of places to visit on the way there and back. Hot Springs, Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville are all on the route.

2. Colorado. We have gone to CO almost every summer. If we haven't gone as a family, the kids usually have gone with my parents. They have a camper and reserve a spot at the same campground in south central CO every summer (Alamosa/Pagosa Springs area). This is a nice get-away, but we are are really tired of just hanging out in the same campground every summer. If we go to Colorado, we would prefer some great hiking and sight seeing in areas we haven't been to before. Fort Collins is just over 14 hours with Denver and Colorado Springs on the way. I would rather not go to Grand Junction (over 16 hours) or Durango (we've been there several times). If we go back to Colorado, I would love to explore hiking and activities in CO Springs, Denver, and Fort Collins, with some possible college campus tours. While DD has said she'll just go somewhere in TX, she has mentioned some CO schools.

3. Grand Canyon National Park....Nevermind on this one. DD just said "I don't want to look at a bunch of red dirt and a giant hole in the ground." Too many summers in Lubbock, maybe? She seems particularly unappreciative of red dirt.

Any experience, recommendations, things to avoid, or other locations I haven't considered are greatly appreciated!

ETA: removed option 3.
    Last edited by zukeypur; 05-24-2023 at 02:08 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would choose the Smoky Mountains. I think it's fun to explore somewhere totally new. I think that GC requires more planning than you have time for, lodging wise.

Other places I would consider (though drive time might be off putting):
    -Ashville, NC
    -Shenandoah National Park/ Charlottesville

After speaking with DD at lunch, she is leaning towards the Smoky Mountains. Please let me know if there is anything particularly fun or something to miss along the way! We'll be going through Arkansas, Tennessee, and maybe NC. Asheville is doable; I think Shenandoah is a bit too far.
    Last edited by zukeypur; 05-24-2023 at 02:14 PM.