Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Childhood movies that were strangely influential on your life in silly ways?

I'm having such a hard time concentrating on work today so please excuse that I'm ALL over the forums today, when I have MANY serious things to be thinking about, lol!

Anyway, I just realized that my entire aesthetic has been influenced by a cheesy movie I saw with my grandma in the theatre when I was like 4.

It is the movie Xanadu. I've wanted to be Olivia Newton John ever since. This past winter I bought a dress and it hit me finally why I loved it so much! Haha. It looks like hers!

Another movie is the Ten Commandments. Yes, I am a religious person and that's part of why I liked the story but I also loved Anne Baxter's role in it! I loved all things Egypt for a very long time. Wrote in my journal in hieroglyphs in elementary school. I have an MA in History with dual emphases in Ancient and Medieval.

What about you? Are there any movies out there that REALLY made an impression? Care to share?

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, Xanadu! Between that and Grease, I was obsessed with Olivia Newton John.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Princess Bride.

So, so, SO many great quotes.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Childhood movies that were strangely influential on your life in silly ways?

Ok for you Olivia Newton John fans - I have a memory of my sister and her friend dressing up in our dance leotards doing “Let’s Get Physical” dance routine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Star Wars. Most of my middle school years were spent waiting for the next Star Wars movie to come out. I have clear memories of the commercials for the movie playing on our tv console in the basement. My dad would see them and tell us all how much he’d like to see that movie. We saw it at the drive-in theater and I was hooked. Time on the school bus was spent watching the other kids collect chewing gum starwars cards (the cool kids had far more than I had). At recess there were always 3 Luke’s, 2 Han Solos, and 5 Princess Leis’s crawling on the jungle gym which was sort of in the shape of a spaceship. It was a perfectly timed distraction for me, my brother and cousins while our moms watched their beloved mom dying of breast cancer.

I liked Grease too because I loved Olivia Newton John’s voice. Who didn’t love crooning to “Hopelessly Devoted to You”?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Wall Street. Didn’t stick permanently but it’s the one movie I can think of that spoke to me. “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.” Sing it, Gordon! 🤣 I was in jr high and solidified my desire to have a great career and own a townhouse. Life took me a different way but Wall Street held a solid spot in my formative years.

Bisous- if you still need a distraction, please do a trip report!! I want to hear all about it. Also, go back through some of your posts to see what you asked about in the lead up. What advice did you get and did you follow it? How did it work out?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yay for all the Olivia Newton John love! And Princess Bride is definitely another huge fave here.

Snugglebuggles, that is a fantastic idea. I will do that!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In high school, it was the John Hughes movies. They always had some kids in them that were the epitome of cool. Andrew McCarthy-swoon.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    In high school, it was the John Hughes movies. They always had some kids in them that were the epitome of cool. Andrew McCarthy-swoon.
    Oh my goodness. Be still my heart, Michael Schoeffling in Sixteen Candles.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Oh my goodness. Be still my heart, Michael Schoeffling in Sixteen Candles.
    I just watched it again last week. The movie is super problematic now, but he's as charming as ever. When he shows up at the end - perfect!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast