Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I loved Clueless and still watch it every time I come across it on TV! As if!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Three movies, and all wildly different but huge impact on me.

Halloween. Loved the all American wooded residential town, whole babysitting thing (I read babysitter club books not long after I saw Halloween) and Michael!

My girlfriends and I loved Grease! We would do whole recreation some days during recess in our HS days. Fond memories with photos too!

The Goonies movie! It was so far from realm of my taste with movies but I loved the friendships among characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Longer than a movie, but I think it still fits- Anne of Green Gables. It solidified my appreciation for deep friendships (but not for giant puff sleeves.) Anne and Diana’s accidental mischief felt so real to me. All the main characters felt like real people. And, it wove in good lessons on choosing a life partner. Gilbert wasn’t flashy, he was smart, thoughtful, patient, respected Anne for who she was, and he was completely committed to her. Swoon!
    Last edited by California; 05-28-2023 at 06:24 PM.

I loved the Sound of Music, and even wrote in my diary that my goal was to watch it at least once a week, but preferably daily, one summer. My sisters and I would act it out as we watched and used our living room furniture in place of the gazebo benches in the 16 Going on 17 scene. Fast forward all these years later, and one of our DC shares a name with one of the Von Trapp kids from the Sound of Music - not really on purpose, but it's a fun coincidence.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK. A bunch of these were also my jam. I do think I was influenced by both Clueless and Anne of Green Gables. In totally different ways, lol. Clueless defined my fashion inspiration for ever. Maybe even now, lol. And Anne of Green Gables. I still want to live in that world. I used to LITERALLY want to live in that world, but now I just want to view people through that lens of love, honesty and imagination.

Sound of Music actually profoundly influenced my own mom. She grew up with nice but somewhat detached parents. They had very little money and lot of baggage. She wanted a different upbringing for us. When I watch Fraulein Maria, I see part of where my mom's inspiration came from and I feel SO lucky. We had music, and outdoors, and fun. It is a tender movie for me!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For me it is Sound of Music, and I still watch it every time I see it on TV. Not sure what it is about that movie, but I think the singing is a big part of it. I started watching it long before I was old enough to fully understand the story. My mom loves the movie, and we would watch it together whenever it was on TV. It was the one time she would let me stay up late to watch something on TV.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not quite childhood, i was 19 and in college when "Good Will Hunting" came out...i remember going with a friend to see it. i loved Matt Damon and the movie made me want to go to MIT for graduate school and four years later i did, and then some years after that i met my husband there

Sound of Music - i do recall watching that a lot as a kid and being enthralled with it as a child, as well as Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory which was probably my absolute favorite when i was 10 and under. I loved the whole concept of the 5 golden tickets and the contest (and I loved candy /have a major sweet tooth - still do! haha). However i also distinctly remember feeling a bit sad as why only white kids were "allowed " to be in this movie (and others like it), and why no one who looked like me was ever a main character in this type of movie, and i definitely did get the message that only white people were worthy/attractive of being featured onscreen.

Speaking of this, when The Joy Luck Club came out, I was a freshman in high school and i remember rushing to the theater to watch it with one of my best friends, and it having such a huge impact on me . Before becoming a parent I was never one to cry in movies but this one definitely moved me to tears. I'm not Asian but I could relate to the story so much (story of immigrant struggles back home and in US, dealing with racism and sexism, etc) and it was so incredible seeing something like that in a theater. I distinctly also remember going to a youth club later than year, and meeting a bunch of random kids and one of the "ice breaker" activities was introducing another teen and one of the things included your favorite movie. I said my favorite movie was the Joy Luck Club and this other girl made a face and said "What? I've never even heard of that" and when she introduced me she made a point of rolling her eyes saying she had never heard of it and sounded weird. And that kind of sealed to me how people can live in different universes depending on their privilege & experiences. FWIW this was in California, SF Bay area in the 1990s.

Another movie that I watched a lot (ages 9-12) was The Brave Little Toaster - which i watched maybe 50x. Though one thing that I remember bothering me was that all 5 appliances voices were male- and there were no almost women/female voices in the entire movie

anyway all this probably explains my views on things like feminism, the importance of representation, etc.

ETA: i just now realized the subject was influential in "silly ways" - oops, my bad! I guess the first one i mentioned was rather silly
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-29-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sound of Music! I watch it every year!

Also loved the movie Parenthood (and the show more recently).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Childhood movies that were strangely influential on your life in silly ways?

Here is my list and I am sorry if it is a bit long (I majored in television and film in college; pre kids I used to see every best picture nominated film in the theater or on video/dvd prior to watching the Oscars; sadly I don’t even watch the Oscars anymore but I used to love them.)

*The Sound of Music: we had this recorded off TV from about the time I was 7. I remember thinking it was so cool that Marta was going to be “7 on Tuesday” because I was 7. I was probably in my 20s before I finally saw the full “not edited for tv” version…..he he (not much was missing, but just a few scenes). Anytime someone is in a bad m/sad/depressed mood here we pretty much turn it on.

*Top Gun: I saw this movie when I was 10 years old (oh probably too young and yes it should’ve been PG-13, but it wasn’t). My dad gave me the vhs tape for my 10th birthday (which I still have) and even though my mom hid the tape for years I still found ways to watch it (with the babysitter who wouldn’t narc on us, with the neighbors, or my grandparents). No lying I have probably seen it probably 500 times. It never gets old. I have still only seen Maverick once (in the theater last year on release weekend).

*Polyanna, The Love Bug, Mary Poppins, The Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson: these Disney movies were in constant rotation in our house. I have watched these with my kids as well.

*Star Wars: not the biggest Star Wars fan but they were pretty important in my childhood. My dad saw Star Wars the night I was born (with my uncle and his best friend), and when I saw Return of The Jedi I hadn’t actually seen The Empire Strikes Back yet so I had no clue why Hans Solo was in the carbonate but it was great fun seeing the movie in the movie theater. My parents eventually recorded Empire off tv.

*Karate Kid, and Karate Kid 2 movies: I walked with my best friend to the movie theater to see Karate Kid 2 in 1986 when it came out. Great memory.

*Miracle on 34th Street: the only black and white movie I would watch as a kid. Loved it as a kid and love it as an adult.

*The King and I: not 100% sure I ever saw the movie all the way through but we used to sing the songs from it and dance around the kitchen with my mom.

*The Wizard of Oz: we would watch this every year when it was on tv. Knowing what I now know about Judy Garland’s life and how it turned out it is quite sad, but it is still such a good movie.

*Every Which Way But Loose: another not super appropriate kid movie but I thought it was great fun as a kid.

*Terminator 2: my brother and his best friend who was 12 at the time and myself who was 15 went to the video store and rented this even though it was rated R.

*The Police Academy, Summer School, Back to School, Naked Gun, License to Drive, Can’t Buy Me Love, She’s Outta Control, and The Great Outdoors movies: watched these kind of movies all summer at the neighbor’s house because they had cable.

*The Flamingo Kid: my crush on Matt Dillon started here; I was 8. I still love Matt Dillon.

*Dirty Dancing: epic….still good and can’t find a single thing wrong with it….even the soundtrack is epic. I didn’t get the whole Penny issue with the abortion until I was probably 14-15 (prior went over my head) but other than that it was a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Oh my goodness. Be still my heart, Michael Schoeffling in Sixteen Candles.
    It gets me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I just watched it again last week. The movie is super problematic now, but he's as charming as ever. When he shows up at the end - perfect!
    I know it isn’t perfect and would definitely be rated R now (there was no PG13 in 1984 though so it was simply PG), but when I compare it to other critically acclaimed movies of it’s time I don’t think it is any worse. On the more disturbing note I finally saw Heathers a few months ago and oh my that movie was something else….so wrong and while it was rightfully so rated R I was soo surprised how much critical acclaim that movie has gotten since it’s release. It was sickening to me, especially with all of the gun violence in schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-30-2023 at 04:00 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post

Also loved the movie Parenthood (and the show more recently).
    The ensemble cast of Parenthood is one of the best ever assembled; it's responsible for my lifelong love for Tom Hulce (even though his character is a loser), Steve Martin in "Dad roles", Rick Moranis (he is SO freakin' good in that movie!!!), Dianne Wiest, Mary Steenburgen, and the absolute chaos involved in being part of a large extended family.

I may whine a lot around here about the ups & downs of parenting-as-a-thing, but I like the roller coaster, too.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast