Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post

Speaking of this, when The Joy Luck Club came out, I was a freshman in high school and i remember rushing to the theater to watch it with one of my best friends, and it having such a huge impact on me . Before becoming a parent I was never one to cry in movies but this one definitely moved me to tears. I'm not Asian but I could relate to the story so much (story of immigrant struggles back home and in US, dealing with racism and sexism, etc) and it was so incredible seeing something like that in a theater. I distinctly also remember going to a youth club later than year, and meeting a bunch of random kids and one of the "ice breaker" activities was introducing another teen and one of the things included your favorite movie. I said my favorite movie was the Joy Luck Club and this other girl made a face and said "What? I've never even heard of that" and when she introduced me she made a point of rolling her eyes saying she had never heard of it and sounded weird. And that kind of sealed to me how people can live in different universes depending on their privilege & experiences. FWIW this was in California, SF Bay area in the 1990s....
    Wow. I'm so sorry you had a negative experience with sharing that it was your favorite movie; it's so frustrating when you see a film/read a book and want to express how beautiful you thought it was (or whatever) and you're shot down because the other person/people you're sharing with don't/can't understand.

I remember seeing this movie on video and thinking not only was it beautifully directed, but the interwoven stories of the mothers and daughters, and how their experiences had influenced their relationships, outlook, and families made a huge impact on me. It's still one of the greatest ensemble casts ever to have been cast in a film. I'm itching for a re-watch because (1) it turns 30 this year (2023) and (2) You Are Good (a feelings podcast about movies) released an episode about it recently & I prefer to have a film fresh in my head before I listen.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

I know it isn’t perfect and would definitely be rated R now (there was no PG13 in 1984 though so it was simply PG), but when I compare it to other critically acclaimed movies of it’s time I don’t think it is any worse. On the more disturbing note I finally saw Heathers a few months ago and oh my that movie was something else….so wrong and while it was rightfully so rated R I was soo surprised how much critical acclaim that movie has gotten since it’s release. It was sickening to me, especially with all of the gun violence in schools.
    When Jake gives his car and passed out/drunk girlfriend to Farmer Ted and basically says "do whatever you want with her" - eh, I feel like that's beyond what happened in other 80s movies. All of the racial stuff is pretty horrible too, but more in line with what we saw in other movies of the time. I agree about Heathers. It was wild at the time - I'm sure seems even worse now. I did love it when I was a teen.

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wizard of Oz
    Sound of Music
    Sixteen Candles
    Breakfast Club
    Back to the Future

All were so great back when I was growing up in the 80’s. Willy Wonka is a runner up but I was older then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The Sound of Music
    Back to the Future

for Sandy Hook

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes to so many of these! I don't think I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off on here - my mom always said this was a movie about me and my brother, he was the charming kid who could get away with anything while I was trying to get him in trouble, but would cover for him in the end.

Also - Poltergeist taught me to never EVER buy a house by an ancient Indian burial ground.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Yes to so many of these! I don't think I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off on here - my mom always said this was a movie about me and my brother, he was the charming kid who could get away with anything while I was trying to get him in trouble, but would cover for him in the end.

Also - Poltergeist taught me to never EVER buy a house by an ancient Indian burial ground.
    I thought of Ferris Bueller after I posted as well. My kids like the movie as well. I actually thought Charlie Sheen was hot in that movie in a bad boy kind of way. Swoon.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I thought of Ferris Bueller after I posted as well. My kids like the movie as well. I actually thought Charlie Sheen was hot in that movie in a bad boy kind of way. Swoon.

He was adorable in Lucas.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH just reminded me of another... Arachnophobia came out when I was teen. I never really had a problem with spiders; so I agreed to go with a group. The local place had rooms that were two levels; a regular set of seats, and a ten-row balcony (where kids went to cause trouble and make out). There's a scene where spiders are swarming a girl in the shower... and some kids from the balcony start throwing those silly little plastic spider rings that are out at halloween time... like hundreds of them falling on the people in the rows below. Getting stuck in our aqua-net big hair, stuck in people's clothes, falling in their popcorn buckets, people screaming... it was wild!
    It's funny now, but boy was it scary at the time. And... I still, 30+ years later, look all around for spiders before getting in the shower!

I'm pretty sure most every movie on my list has been named. It's amazing how many movies we watched and how they framed my childhood. Simply reading this thread brought back many happy memories and has been so fun to read.

Some I really remember:
    The Sound of Music
    Sixteen Candles
    Pretty in Pink
    St. Elmo's Fire
    Footloose
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Breakfast Club
    Dirty Dancing
    Top Gun
    Back to the Future
    Mystic Pizza
    Nadia
    Karate Kid
    Splash
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    When Jake gives his car and passed out/drunk girlfriend to Farmer Ted and basically says "do whatever you want with her" - eh, I feel like that's beyond what happened in other 80s movies. All of the racial stuff is pretty horrible too, but more in line with what we saw in other movies of the time. I agree about Heathers. It was wild at the time - I'm sure seems even worse now. I did love it when I was a teen.
    Wow, I had forgotten about that part. When I thought of that movie my mind usually went straight to Jake and Sam leaning over the cake together. But thinking about the movie now- now that I am a mother to a 15yo girl- I hate him. I remember he says he is angry with his girlfriend because she’s responsible for the party and the damage to his house. But he’s old enough to say no to the party. And he’s certainly old enough to know what he’s doing by sending her off with Farmer Ted. Seriously screenplay writer- what were you thinking??
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast