Default Update in post 8: Multifocal contacts/ Progressive lenses

I have made it to 47 without the need for reading glasses, but it's time. I didn't realize it until I was trying to show students how to perform a task that required careful coordination, and I couldn't see what I was doing.

I had LASIK in 2005, so it's been a very long time since I've worn contacts. I'm doing fine in the multifocal lenses, but I haven't really had to work with them yet (I'm on a break between semesters). It seems to be a challenge to focus on the computer for longer than 5-10 minutes. The optometrist said it will take about 5 days for my brain and eyes to get used to them; this is day 4.

I also ordered some glasses with progressive lenses. I chose the "slightly better than middle-of-the-road" lenses with clip-on magnetic sunglasses.
    https://eco-eyewear.com/collections/...43686597329126

Any tips on adjusting to multifocals and progressives? I have a very light prescription and low magnification. I'm having trouble getting my two eyes to work together, and I am having trouble focusing on anything closer than about 10 inches from my face. On the other hand, driving is fabulous! My distance vision is great!
    Last edited by zukeypur; 06-15-2023 at 09:29 AM. Reason: update

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have multifocal lenses, but don’t really recall a “breaking in” period. I’ve worn contacts for 30 years though…. However when I got new glasses, it took me at least a week to adjust. I only wear them at night once I take my contacts out. I honestly thought I was given the wrong prescription it was so bad at first. But little by little my eyes adjusted. Since I only wore them at night, it took me at least a week or two to adjust.

I have progressive glasses and didn’t have any difficulty. Only word of advice is to put them on first thing in the morning. Don’t try to start wearing them partway through the day. It took DH several weeks to adjust to the progressives (we got them the same time.) I was 47 almost 48 when I got mine. I still wear normal contact lenses and just have readers I occasionally wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I have multifocal lenses, but don’t really recall a “breaking in” period. I’ve worn contacts for 30 years though…. However when I got new glasses, it took me at least a week to adjust. I only wear them at night once I take my contacts out. I honestly thought I was given the wrong prescription it was so bad at first. But little by little my eyes adjusted. Since I only wore them at night, it took me at least a week or two to adjust.
    I don't know how to tell if the prescription is off or if the "add power" is off for the multifocal contacts. I can tell you that the severe need to take them off at the end of the day is real, much like the need to take your bra off at the end of the day, lol. I'll keep trying them for a few more days. Glasses come in next week sometime.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have multi focal glasses. I’ve worn glasses/contacts for years and so this was a transition for me. It took some getting used to. I was originally very nearsighted but then my close up vision started to get really bad too.

The transition period for me was not fun and it lasted about 2 weeks. Just when I was about to give up on them I went back to the optical center and caught a rep who fitted me with my very first pair of glasses. She is wonderfully knowledgeable and I was lucky I caught her. She suggested moving the top edge of bifocal down 2mm in the glasses lens. This allowed more of the top of the lens to be for my distance vision. When we did that, it made a huge difference for me. The problem was that the top of bifocal was interfering with my distance vision. Once that was corrected, it took about 3 days to get used ti them.

I have heard they can take 10 days to 2 weeks to really like multifocal glasses. But my friend said that there are several components that have to be right to make the lenses comfortable: the prescriptions have to be accurate, and the bifocals need to be placed correctly in the glasses lens which is individual to each person. It may take trial annd error. Also, progressive glasses are expensive and tricky glasses to make so companies prefer you get used to the glasses how they are versus retrying to fit you correctly. For this reason I would also recommend you ask what their warrantee is. For reference, unless the prescription changes our optical center will replace lenses at no charge for 2 years after purchase and frames are a year for any reason.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-26-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I spoke with the ophthalmologist and ended up switching to a different brand and getting a small bump in the power on my left eye. Things are MUCH better! My brain is wired for distance vision with my left eye, and it was just a touch too weak which was throwing me off. I was also having trouble with the contacts being too dry, so the new brand (Dailies Total 1) is definitely helping with that. They feel really good in my eyes.

I also picked up my glasses yesterday. I love them! The frames are great, sit well on my face, and the magnetic clip-on sunshades are fantastic. The closeup vision is so nice, and the distance is also great. I am getting a bit of a "fishbowl" sensation, and I haven't found the sweet spot for working on the computer yet. I have found that I have to tilt my chin down a touch to get to the distance focal point. I'm wondering if I was slouching when she determined the placement of my pupil. I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending them back, or if I can get used to tilting my head down a touch. I haven't tried driving with them yet.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Glad a different brand/prescription worked better for you! I’ve been using the dailies total for awhile now, and really like them!

Update! It only took a few days to get used to the glasses. I have only worn the contacts on days when I'm outside sweating or doing something where I think glasses would get in the way. The glasses are on most of the waking hours, and the vision is much better with the glasses than contacts, especially for detailed tasks that require close-up vision.

Finding the right fit for the contact lenses was a bit of a challenge. We ended up bumping the power in my dominant eye and bumping the add power from Lo to Med in the non-dominant eye. It's not perfect, but I think it'll work for occasional wear.

I was planning on ordering contacts from Walgreens on employee discount day, but the optometrist's office was VERY slow getting my prescription to me and I missed the employee discount day. Costco was the next cheapest option, but we're leaving on vacation and they wouldn't make it before we leave. I called 1-800-Contacts, and they matched the Costco price AND gave me free overnight shipping. Highly recommend 1-800-Contacts!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Glad you found something that works for you. I am near sighted but had been struggling with reading when my contacts are in. So we adjusted the power of my contacts so that one eye sees distance better and the other eye sees up close better. It's okay for most of the day...desk work, driving, etc...but I still have to pop on reading glasses or take my contacts out to really see clearly to read or do finer tasks (like thread a needle or give myself a manicure). I also got progressive eyeglass lenses and like you it took a few days for my eyes and head to adjust my positioning to be seeing out the right level of the lenses. I really have to move my head a whole lot more than I do with wearing contacts.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.