Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We are precheck and don't take anything out. Usually our phones are in a pocket, so those go in on their own, but things in a backpack stay in the backpack. It's one of the benefits of having it.
    Kris

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would not expect to pull electric razors out. There’s always a possibility but I think it’s a remote one, precheck or not. I would put contacts in their own separate quart size bag like a pp suggested. Fortunately, those will be almost gone by the return trip as I find international security sometimes stricter with a ONE quart size bag rule.

And just in case you didn’t realize this, your precheck isn’t going to help on the return trip. It’s a US thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Which electronics need to come out of carry-on bags at security?

If you have TSA-pre, then nothing.

Otherwise it depends on what security equipment they have. At our airport there’s a new scanner thing in one of the lines, and you don’t have to pull anything out if you are in that line. So we usually try to get in that line.

Most typically, large electronics (iPads, computers) and your liquids. I’ve never had to pull out power banks. Once, they asked for snacks to come out, which was super annoying since my bag was then pretty much empty since it’s all snacks and electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

It seems it depends on the airport unfortunately. Some seem to screen bags with just about everything in them and others require you to take it all out. And places where they don't want you to take it out really mean it when they say don't take it out (efficiency) so you have to pay attention to what they're asking you to do.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've flown quite a bit lately. I don't have pre (I'm waiting on an appointment for Global Entry). It varies so much from airport to airport now - moreso than I've ever seen before. At times, it varies by which gate you're going through, or even which lane. It's bizarre to me, but I just plan to have to remove them if needed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I would not expect to pull electric razors out. There’s always a possibility but I think it’s a remote one, precheck or not. I would put contacts in their own separate quart size bag like a pp suggested. Fortunately, those will be almost gone by the return trip as I find international security sometimes stricter with a ONE quart size bag rule.

And just in case you didn’t realize this, your precheck isn’t going to help on the return trip. It’s a US thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is good information. I did not know that. Fortunately we will have used up most of our liquids on the return flight.

Well, we are waiting to board our connecting flight in Amsterdam and the only thing they flagged at the Minneapolis airport when we left was Ds1’s laptop cords.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

This currently seems to be airport dependent. I flew on Wednesday (no pre-check) and did not have to take anything out of my bag. I had a laptop, iPad, kindle, phone, and quart bag full of applesauce pouches that all remained happily in my backpack. I remember the same was true when I flew out of Providence in January, but not true when I flew back home from Charleston.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    This currently seems to be airport dependent. I flew on Wednesday (no pre-check) and did not have to take anything out of my bag. I had a laptop, iPad, kindle, phone, and quart bag full of applesauce pouches that all remained happily in my backpack. I remember the same was true when I flew out of Providence in January, but not true when I flew back home from Charleston.

Definitely airport dependent! I have always found Providence easier than other places. Raleigh-Durham is more variable, depending on the terminal. (That’s not an issue at PVD since there’s only one.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I hate packing. It’s harder with teens because they don’t want you to pack for them but they wait until the last minute and then complain we don’t have what they need.

Will my boys cheapo electric razers need to come out at security? Along with phones and charger banks?
    I would not expect to need to take the battery operated razors out. But like everyone said it depends on the policies for that moment/airport/agent.

I have traveled a lot domestically this year and I never take anything out. I have precheck but have often been traveling with a large group that didn’t have my KTN associated in which case I was once asked to remove my laptop. Otherwise I go right through. I haven’t had to remove my toiletry liquids in a few years now. Water bottles that are still filled still seem to be regularly flagged though.

I hate packing and nagging the kids to pack on family trips so I have had my kids pack their own stuff for a few years and too bad if they forget something! If they had medication or contacts I would make an exception to make sure they had that stuff though.

Be prepared for anything. I have a friend stuck on London for 2 days on their way to Italy. Couldn’t believe it was for 2 days but then I saw that a bunch of systems were down in the UK. She didn’t complain and just asked in a Facebook post for fish n chips recommendations which seemed like a great attitude!
    DD
    DS

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes this exactly. At Newark I got yelled at for taking out a laptop. They wanted everything to stay in a bag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast