KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Keep or toss - freezer left open

Our garage freezer (part of a fridge/freezer combo) was open a few inches over night. A kid closed it and I got a text about it at lunch time. I can tell the ice cream melted enough to leak and drip. and it was clearly soft when I checked on it. I will toss the uncooked chicken strips for sure. But, frozen pizza? Think those are okay? Cooked meatballs I think should go - yes? Frozen hasbrowns? I assume the ice cream is bad at this point, but is it safe? Can I make the kid who left it open eat it? Lol.

It got cold outside overnight - we had a frost warning. And our garage is usually within about 20 deg of the outdoor temp. It was a high of 63 yesterday. So the garage was likely 40-50 deg overnight.
    Kris

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This happened to us a couple of weeks ago. I tossed everything that had been hanging around for a while. All those ‘we’re going to eat these’ items that we never got around to eating. I touched the meals and they were still cool to the touch so I kept them. I tossed frozen fruit because it would have refrozen into a clump. I kept popsicles / ice cream on a stick and they’ve been fine albeit a little crooked. I tossed the cartons of ice cream. I figured taste would be off and if I’m going to consume the calories they better taste the best they can. My Melona popsicles were off so I tossed but my kids haven’t complained about their popsicles.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Sorry it happened to you too. Everything is pretty new, except the hash browns. But there are 6 containers of ice cream I bought this week and the box of chicken from Sam's is from this week too. It's probably $150 that I spent in the past 2 weeks in there. Ugh.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Kris

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d probably keep it all. But I’m much more lax than most here. I would try to use things sooner rather than later, though.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"