Thread: The N word

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default The N word

It's the last day of middle school. It's been a clusterf*ck of a day. My kids didn't get the yearbooks that I'm CERTAIN I ordered and based on the number of other parents with the same issue, I think something went wrong with the online ordering process. Kids are devastated that they had no yearbook for signing, not to mention the baby photos we sent to be published in them. And DD2's best friend is moving, and so this is the last yearbook that they are in together. Yesterday DD1 mustered up ALL her courage (she is SUPER SHY) to ask the yearbook teacher whether there would be extra copies, and the yearbook teacher told her there were a few, and gave her instructions for trying to get one. So both of my kids got to school early this morning so they could line up and be one of the first...but there still weren't enough extra yearbooks to go around.

DD2 accidentally left her school ID on the bleachers after the yearbook signing (during which they had to use random sheets of paper because no yearbook. Sigh). Someone found her ID and wrote the N word on it. DD2 was so upset when she got her ID back that she immediately dumped it in the trash without taking a photo or keeping it for documentation, so we don't have a photo to report it. Not that the school would do anything anyway, since it's the last day of school. Why the N word? DD2 has a black friend and that's the only reason I can think of for it.

I don't know if we should do anything about the N word...no way to tell who did it. But I just hate that it happened to her.

That is all. I'm absolutely whining.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can report it ASAP and the school should go through the trash to find it- as long as it hasn’t been hauled off yet. They likely also have cameras and could potentially look to see who grabbed it from the bleachers.

The yearbook thing just sucks.

Ugh, I'm so sorry that sounds so upsetting and disappointing for your DD. We are finishing up our first year at MS and I'm sick of the terrible behavior DS comes homes daily talking about, including lots of racist and homophobic language. WTF

And don't get me started on the yearbooks, they were such a cluster last year when I was regrettably on the PTA board at our elementary school with lots of parents complaining they ordered and didn't get one. From that experience I can tell you some companies let you do additional orders after the original bulk order, so I suppose if you want to pursue and have proof of your payment you could push on the school to get more ordered.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry that happened. I cant imagine how upsetting it is for her.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default The N word

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    You can report it ASAP and the school should go through the trash to find it- as long as it hasn’t been hauled off yet. They likely also have cameras and could potentially look to see who grabbed it from the bleachers.

The yearbook thing just sucks.
    Yes I’d still report it to the school.
    I’m sorry that happened to her. Definitely bring it to the school’s attention, so they’re aware what is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, how awful. I hope this week goes better, and that the school addresses what happened to your daughter.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's terrible. I'm so sorry.

The schools have not had a record of my purchase of yearbooks for 2 years in a row. This year, I took a screen shot of the order number and sent it in a text to DD2 back in October when I bought the yearbook "for the end of the school year when they don't have a yearbook for you". That absolutely saved us this year because she was able to show them the text. We order through Balfour, and they are awful. Even when I log into my Balfour account, there is no record of any of the purchases. I was able to call them and they were able to search my email address and find the order numbers.

I hope the school is able to address the N word situation. That is awful.