Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chicory Root powder/extract for fiber

UPDATE: Thank you so much for the recommendation to look at getting it shipped from a grocery store. My local store, which doesn't have this on the shelf anymore, can deliver it to me in 2 hours and I can apply coupons!!! Woo hoo!!! BBB for yet another win in my life!!!!!!!!

For years, I have had Quaker High Fiber Oatmeal for breakfast. It is super helpful for my IBS-constipation issues. It added 7 grams of fiber to the regular oatmeal. Well, I can't find it in my grocery store anymore. So I am thinking of just buying chicory root powder (or extract??) to add my regular oatmeal. I looked at one brand on Amazon and it only had 2 g of fiber per scoop. I would need 3 scoops of that stuff. Seems like a lot.

Does anybody have a chicory root powder product they would recommend? I like it because it doesn't cause bloating or give me gas. Any ideas are much appreciated!!
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 05-30-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know about chicory root (and am interested so will be reading responses). I use flaxseed. I am trying to integrate chia seed as well, but do not find it to help as much with IBS-constipation as flaxseed.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I can't handle chickory root. It's high in FODMAP I think.

I use Sunfiber.

Edited to add: It's guar fiber. 7g a scoop.
    Last edited by pinkmomagain; 05-28-2023 at 01:36 PM.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can buy inulin, which is the active ingredient in chicory root extract. Though I do see the Quaker instant high fiber available for shipping sold by Walmart.

Edit: the chicory root extract and inulin I can find all pretty much seem to have the same amount of fiber, so I think 3 "scoops" in the product you are looking at would be approximately one tablespoon which isn't too bad. Some inulin appears to be extracted from Jerusalem artichokes, so to get the same thing as the oatmeal the chicory root extract may be the best option.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 05-28-2023 at 07:14 AM.

crn is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

I don’t know about chicory root, but I do use acacia fiber (Heather’s Tummy Fiber). But it is also only 2g of fiber per teaspoon. I normally add two teaspoons to oatmeal in the morning and it does not affect the flavor. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Please tell me more! I've heard the word "chicory" before, but I don't know anything about it. I googled a bit and found that it's a good source of fiber, comes in liquid or powder, and can also be used to make "chicory" coffee. How do you use it, and what form do you purchase it in?

I am not 100% sure what is wrong with my bowels, but DH mentioned IBS-C yesterday. I have a BM every 2-4 days during a good week, but I often go much longer. I rarely have a normal BM; it's either very hard or very loose. I recently had a colonoscopy, and it took 15 hours from the start of the prep to the first BM. Luckily I was clean for the colonoscopy, but I was terrified that I wouldn't be. I started taking a stool softener every day several months ago, but the GI doctor told me to stop that because he thinks it was causing my loose stool. He recommended a peppermint oil product (I can't remember the name) and psyllium husk. I have tried benefiber before, and it made me horribly gassy and miserable. From a previous recommendation on the BBB, I started eating All Bran Buds every day with some greek yogurt or lactose free cottage cheese, and I eat 6 prunes religiously every day. I have also added chia recently, but I'm not sure how much that has helped. I accidentally dumped a TBSP instead of a tsp of chia into my yogurt yesterday and nothing has happened yet.

Looking forward to learning more! (Also, side note......I think it's funny that I came here YEARS ago after falling down a cloth diaper rabbit hole and now this place is my go-to for osteoporosis, bowel issues, and basically everything else, lol)

I use Miralax on an as-needed basis if I don't go. I take 2 scoops at night. I sometimes have to do this 2 nights in a row. I also rely on the fiber in my diet and the fact that I drink a gallon of water a day! I love the high fiber oatmeal and am going to check out the shipping from Walmart option (thank you!!!). Or maybe see if I can get it as a pick up option at my grocery store--it's not on the shelf now.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Late to the post but I eat 3 prunes daily; limit my fiber to higher fiber bread or high fiber protein pasta (Barilla Plus and Dave’s Killer Bread small slices don’t mess with my IBS-C; also Banza pasta is ok) and I drink 2 scoops of natural calm per day before bed. An apple also helps. Trader Joes’s Steal Cut oatmeal (frozen) has 7 grams of fiber in it. I add fresh strawberries to it.

Miralax, psyllium husk tablets and Metamucil all give me gas. Citrucel works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

[QUOTE=AnnieW625;4441197]Late to the post but I eat 3 prunes daily; limit my fiber to higher fiber bread or high fiber protein pasta (Barilla Plus and Dave’s Killer Bread small slices don’t mess with my IBS-C; also Banza pasta is ok) and I drink 2 scoops of natural calm per day before bed. An apple also helps. Trader Joes’s Steal Cut oatmeal (frozen) has 7 grams of fiber in it. I add fresh strawberries to it.

Miralax, psyllium husk tablets and Metamucil all give me gas. Citrucel works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It is so random from one person to the next. Natural Calm doesn't do anything but give me gas. Miralax totally works for me if I take 2 scoops. I will think about the Trader Joes steel cut oatmeal. How does it come frozen?? Like a big blob or individual portions? Sorry!! Trying to visualize this
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post

It is so random from one person to the next. Natural Calm doesn't do anything but give me gas. Miralax totally works for me if I take 2 scoops. I will think about the Trader Joes steel cut oatmeal. How does it come frozen?? Like a big blob or individual portions? Sorry!! Trying to visualize this
    Right?!

Yes it comes in a “blob,” individual portion but it is good. My kids prefer it to homemade and the instant kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast