MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Has anyone ever taken Skull Cap?

I was just at the dermatologist and she suggested I try skull cap for my hormonal acne. The older I get, the worse it gets. I tried spirolactone but didn't make it past the first week because it gave me heart palpitations and made me dizzy. She said she had just read about this in one of her medical magazines and thought maybe it would be a good option for me to try. I googled it, and am not seeing anything about hormonal acne usage so thought I would ask if anyone knows anything about it here. You guys are often more educated than most doctors!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No info about skull cap (the herb, right?) but I hope the dermatologist who suggested it has checked any other meds you are taking and made sure there are no problematic drug interactions with skull cap. Not an infrequent problem with herbal supplements.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    No info about skull cap (the herb, right?) but I hope the dermatologist who suggested it has checked any other meds you are taking and made sure there are no problematic drug interactions with skull cap. Not an infrequent problem with herbal supplements.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    That’s a great reminder! She didn’t, which I thought was strange, so the first thing I did was send my PCP a message to check with her. I really have no plans of taking it unless I find some great research that shows how wonderful it is. I don’t like taking meds of any sort unless needed, as I tend to be very sensitive to them. Drs need to make sure they are checking meds.

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Did they give you any direction about dose or where to buy it? Totally curious now...

Quote Originally Posted by wallawala View Post
    Did they give you any direction about dose or where to buy it? Totally curious now...
    She told me she just bought some for herself off of Amazon and made sure it was from a reputable company. She said to follow the directions on the bottle. She hadn't tried it yet because she was on spironolactone and was afraid to stop because she didn't want to be a dermatologist with a face full of acne. So she was going to start taking it with the prescription and then if things were going well after a month or so, slowly wean off the prescription to see what happens.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you tried topical Retin-A? I’m 56 and sadly still get acne, so Retin-A is perfect for me because it’s helpful for both acne and anti-aging purposes.