wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Finding a counselor feels like...

Online dating? Spinning a roulette wheel? Playing job offers against one another?

We all know there's a counselor shortage and so finding one with openings is a challenge. I'm trying to find a counselor for DD2, so finding someone who takes our insurance, who sees teens, who has openings, and who can accommodate our busy schedule is SUPER hard. Cold calling only yielded one response and she's no insurance/full pay. I scheduled an initial appointment with her just to have something in place in case nothing else pans out. Then I reached out to a former coworker, who is a counselor, to see if she had referrals, and she did. So I reached out to 2 therapists she referred me to. Both contacted me back today. One I'm playing phone tag with so I don't know how quickly she can schedule DD. The other is about to go on a 2wk vacation so can see DD after she returns, but I don't yet know if she has day/time that week that work for our schedule.

So I have one booked for next week, one available but I don't know when, and one available at least 3 weeks out. Oh and I'm on a waitlist for a 4th who thinks she might have an opening at the end of June. And I know that only waiting 2-4 weeks is wonderful all things considered.

I feel badly stringing them all along trying to see who works out best but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and have it not work out.

Do I keep the Tues appointment with the "full pay" person ($100 per appt) just to have one appointment but then switch if one of the others pans out? Do I cancel that appt since I just don't see doing full pay longer term? Am I going to end up on some therapist naughty list for pursuing multiple therapists and then backing out once I find a "best" one?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I'd keep it to check her out, b/c it's so hard to find someone it might end up that she's the best option personality wise. And even if it doesn't work out just meeting with someone can help her better define what sort of style/personality she needs (it is like dating!).

Depending on your insurance doing out of pocket might not work out so bad, with our old insurance we had such a small deductible and reasonable out of network benefits that we always got a good chunk back from out of network providers for DH.

Does your employer have any sort of EAP program? At my previous employer (that had the good insr) I was able to see someone through a program affiliated with that, but we also could have used it for a family member.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I no sooner posted and heard back from the person I was playing phone tag with and she has an opening for THIS Saturday. Feels like I won the lottery! So I canceled the full pay person. She was low on my list of what I assumed DD would like (much older, art therapy background, more granola...which would be great for DD1 but not DD2). If the one this Saturday isn't a good fit then I'll follow up with the one who will be out of town for a few weeks.

My out of network is $750 deductible and then coinsurance. My in network is only a $20 copay.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.