Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Is it time for dorm room assignments yet?

After an earlier flurry of posts about dorm room necessities and nice-to-haves, are folks getting info about dorm room assignments yet for Fall freshmen? Other than the obligatory twin XL sheets (which my family hasn’t bought yet…), they’ve been holding off until DGD1 got a room assignment. They'll be at art school, so the dorms seem to have plenty of work rooms/studio space. Good news is that they'll be in an air conditioned dorm! Also, in a single room, definitely their preference but boy, the singles look tiny!

Are others getting their room assignments and starting to refine their plans about what to take?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Where my DD goes the kids picked rooms last week (they had a lottery to determine who picks first). I think each school has its own timeline. I'd join the parent Facebook page for that specific college and ask questions about what is provided in the rooms, possibly even look for YouTube videos by previous students. They should have floor plans for the dorms as well (these were all available at my DD's school).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

At DS1's college, incoming freshmen have until mid July to rank which residential areas they want to live in and then the actual dorm assignments don't come out until August. DS1 has a single and it's decently sized.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

At ours, freshman don’t know until mid July. There are also no roommate surveys. They had the students rank their locations but since 95% of them probably all put the same place in the 1st spot, many don’t get it.
    The waiting was hard when you just want to shop and plan

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our babysitter recently got her roommate assignment, so some places have started!
    Lizi

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t think ours come for a while. Other than sheet sizes, how would shopping vary by dorm assignment? Our school has said all beds are twin XLs so I figured I could start shopping anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I don’t think ours come for a while. Other than sheet sizes, how would shopping vary by dorm assignment? Our school has said all beds are twin XLs so I figured I could start shopping anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our school usually suggests you wait on buying microwave and fridge and divide up between the two roommates. Also things like coffeemaker/keurig, water filter/Britta, carpet etc, those are things that usually they split. Again for specific things like, what is needed each school is different. Our dorms come with desk, chair, lamp, bookshelf, small dresser, super deep/tall closet that can handle shelves inside it and a step stool is something people being to get into the beds ans access the upper part of the closet. Again room configuration, suggestions on what works best was found on the Facebook pages.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Our school usually suggests you wait on buying microwave and fridge and divide up between the two roommates. Also things like coffeemaker/keurig, water filter/Britta, carpet etc, those are things that usually they split. Again for specific things like, what is needed each school is different. Our dorms come with desk, chair, lamp, bookshelf, small dresser, super deep/tall closet that can handle shelves inside it and a step stool is something people being to get into the beds ans access the upper part of the closet. Again room configuration, suggestions on what works best was found on the Facebook pages.

Exactly .

And at our school, freshman can be in any number of dorms and they are all very different. Some have big dressers and no closets. Others are the opposite. Some have loft beds, others don’t. Some have built ins for storage and others are more DIY. All come with fridges and microwaves. So aside from figuring out splitting stuff with a roommate it’s good to know what the dorms are set up like. If your kid is going to a small school with few dorm options then I’m sure it’s easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think every school is different. DS is supposed to get his next week as far as I know. The main thing for him is going to be whether he has an AC dorm or not We haven’t started shopping at all yet and probably should. He did win a TV at his class senior lock in, so that’s off the list at least (I’m not sure it was ever on the list because he watches things on his ipad, but he has one now so…).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

DD doesn't get her roommate and room selection until July.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast