Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Does your kid's school have a parent Facebook page? If so, join that. It is so helpful. Parents of older students can give you info about what was needed or not at that particular school. My daughter's school already had fridge and microwave in the room.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The parents at our school seemed so upset at how the room selection went, but at least they have choices (ac vs non ac) , some get a later lottery time and might get a dorm without ac but most of the dorms have ac and actually one of the more popular dorms doesn't have ac but has a lot of extras, that makes it appealing. Sounds like many places you don't even get a choice. DD got to pick her dorm, floor and they wanted a specific location (there is a group of dorms called the six pack lol). They were all done with room selection last week, which I guess is early compared to most.

Like others have said, join the Facebook groups, they are super helpful for all things (like opting out of health insurance if that's a thing, deadlines, etc).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mom2binsd; 06-04-2023 at 06:07 PM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Is it time for dorm room assignments yet?

No idea how the room selection process went, but since DGD1 was happy with the outcome, I don’t really care Now that I know which dorm they’ll be in, I dug into the school's website and discovered a wealth of info for the first year housing area. All the first year students live in the same area, which also has "the main all-you-can-eat dining facility"! The first year dorms plus dining hall are all connected so weather is no excuse.

As others have mentioned, there are floor plans, video tours of each dorm, lists of what is provided and what students should bring (and NOT bring). All first year dorm rooms include a microwave-fridge combo. There is supposedly a shared kitchen in each dorm, but it looks like it's only one per dorm, not per floor. ETA: the shared kitchen is on DGD1's floor

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 06-04-2023 at 01:06 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    At DS1's college, incoming freshmen have until mid July to rank which residential areas they want to live in and then the actual dorm assignments don't come out until August.
    Same as DS1's school.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    No idea how the room selection process went, but since DGD1 was happy with the outcome, I don’t really care Now that I know which dorm they’ll be in, I dug into the school's website and discovered a wealth of info for the first year housing area. All the first year students live in the same area, which also has "the main all-you-can-eat dining facility"! The first year dorms plus dining hall are all connected so weather is no excuse.

As others have mentioned, there are floor plans, video tours of each dorm, lists of what is provided and what students should bring (and NOT bring). All first year dorm rooms include a microwave-fridge combo. There is supposedly a shared kitchen in each dorm, but it looks like it's only one per dorm, not per floor. ETA: the shared kitchen is on DGD1's floor

I bet she comes home with stories of many failed cooking attempts, many kids don't have a clue how to do basic cooking. I'm constantly showing my kids ways to do things, even simple things like putting the lid of the pot to help it boil faster, and don't let things boil over as it's a huge mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I bet she comes home with stories of many failed cooking attempts, many kids don't have a clue how to do basic cooking. I'm constantly showing my kids ways to do things, even simple things like putting the lid of the pot to help it boil faster, and don't let things boil over as it's a huge mess to clean up.
    If so, the failed cooking attempts will be from their fellow students (and DGD1 may get recruited to teach their dorm mates how to cook)! Thanks to parents who started teaching cooking basics very early and years of participation in 4H, both DGDs have won cooking awards at the county fair, and enjoy cooking.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS has his dorm assignment. They have until this week to select room mates. He had someone reach out and based on similar interests, DS agreed to being roommates. They have an apartment and not a dorm room. So 4 people in 2 bedrooms with a small kitchen and living room

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DC just finished their Freshman year in a single. It was SMALL, but they LOVED it!

The #1 thing that makes the room seem bigger is to put the bed under the window if you can. It's the first thing we did when we moved DC into their dorm. I had a single in college and we ALL had our beds under the window.

As for cooking, DC is also a 4-H kid and did a lot of cooking in the dorm kitchen (they have a communal kitchen on the first floor that has an oven and burners the kids can use), but also learned what they can do with a microfridge .

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    DC just finished their Freshman year in a single. It was SMALL, but they LOVED it!

The #1 thing that makes the room seem bigger is to put the bed under the window if you can. It's the first thing we did when we moved DC into their dorm. I had a single in college and we ALL had our beds under the window.

As for cooking, DC is also a 4-H kid and did a lot of cooking in the dorm kitchen (they have a communal kitchen on the first floor that has an oven and burners the kids can use), but also learned what they can do with a microfridge .
    Glad to hear that the micro fridge has possibilities! I’ve never even seen one of those. But since the communal kitchen is on the same floor as their room, I’m sure they will take advantage of it. And yes, I know that they will love the single! (I certainly did when I was in college.)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS got his assignment yesterday. He got what he wanted and is happy I went to a small school so a dorm with 1300 students is overwhelming to me, but he wants a very different experience
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2