hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default HS diploma vs. GED

We have a friend who is struggling to get through high school. The hope is that they will slowly take classes and graduate when they can obtain the necessary credits. However, they are about to turn 18 and there is a fear that they will simply drop out completely. For very complicated medical reasons, they are not enrolled in school full time. The family has worked with a few different schools, ect. What they are doing is the right thing for this student.

The mom is starting to panic. School is supportive, everyone is working with the student, we are hopeful. However, we also understand the reality of the situation and it may actually be in the student's best interest to NOT complete all the credits for a full diploma.

Does anyone know the differences between a High School diploma and the GED? The parents are not from this country, so I don't want to mention the GED unless I have some idea as to the differences.

On the flip side, what are the benefits of a GED vs. dropping out of high school?

I am not sure of the students dreams for the future, but I would think there would be some further education at some point. it is heartbreaking to think that the medical struggles of right now could have a significant impact on the student's future, but here we are.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default HS diploma vs. GED

My sister’s ex dropped out of high school his senior year due to some chronic health issues (I think….it was 4 or 5 years before they started dating) and he ended up getting his GED a few years later. He worked with his mom doing real estate (more behind the scenes stuff not selling, but got his license at some point as well) but initially got a job a server at a country club, and worked his way up the ladder there, then about 10 years after quitting high school he started college. He also bought a small property as an investment when he and my sister were dating (I have no idea if he still owns it). He ended up with BS in accounting at a local state university and he worked his way through so it took him about 6-7 years once he was serious about school because he only went part time. His only downfall though was he never registered for the draft….(this was before my sister met him) so he didn’t qualify for any type of federal or state aid and I don’t think he can be employed by either section of government but he has always been employed. He is currently the staffing manager and handles the payroll/accounting for the country club that he has worked at for probably 20 years.

That is the most recent story I have.

Good luck to your friend’s child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-07-2023 at 05:29 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son's best friend who is a year younger than him did not want to finish out his senior year half way through because of some interpersonal conflicts at the school. He was able to take some kind of test (not sure if it was the GED or something else) to say he had completed high school at that point. I think it would probably be best to encourage the student and family to talk to a high school guidance counselor. It's their job to know options like these for students experiencing difficulties.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My advice is to look to see what your state requirements are for graduating from homeschool for high school.
    Our state has required courses you must take but parents make the transcript.
    K

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I looked into this to help support a teen who was not in a good home situation.

From the research summaries I read, statistically students who earn a diploma tend to have higher salaries in the long term, and are much more likely to go to college. Employers tend to value a high school diploma higher than a GED.

On the positive side for GEDs, students are better off with a GED than with no diploma at all. If they're struggling with school now, this may not be the best time for them to start college. But, with a GED, in the future they would be all set to apply for college or enroll in a community college. From what I read, if they do decide to take the GED, it's better to take it sooner rather than later: They should take it while high school classes are still fresh in their mind.

Back to earning a high school diploma: It sounds like the family has a plan in place. Is the worry that the student is ready to just give up? Do they want to start working? Students can still earn high school credits and work towards a diploma after they turn 18. While there are age limits on attending in-person high school classes on a public HS campus, there isn't an age limit on earning a diploma through alternative means. Maybe they are already in an alternative program? There's no reason not to pace it at a rate that is comfortable for the student. It's not unusual for students with significant medical needs to take longer to graduate. Sometimes, this extra time is beneficial. If they are having time with high school classes, they may need time before they are ready for a full time job, college, or training in a trade. The GED may wrap up high school, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are ready for the next step.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone. You confirmed what I thought about the differences. The hope is that the student will finish with a full high school diploma, even taking one class a semester... However, it's nice to have options.

All of the alternative paths to graduation have been explored or are being explored. Currently the student is in a non-traditional setting. High school is the priority. Next steps will come after the high school piece is figured out.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Many public schools have an alternative HS diploma, not a full one, but a competency based ones. Our District gives 2 diplomas, the first is the traditional HS diploma and says City High School on it. The second is issued by the school district and is a competency based diploma that meets the minimum state requirements and is obtained through an alternative pathway, this diploma say City School District and not City High School. But it comes with a transcript that would allow you to attend community college and gives you the equivalent of a HS diploma. At the community college, we value it just as we would a traditional HS diploma and make course selections based on the transcript grades and placement testing just as we do for any student.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.