Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Get the phone... You want him to learn how to use it and you want to ensure that you can find him (and the phone) if you need to.

DC traveled over an hour to school for a time and had a flip phone and ipod. I would call and they would NEVER answer since they were on the ipod with headphones. Transportation would be an hour late (due to traffic or whatever), I was panicking, and DC was fine, just busy with their phone. Finally (after two straight weeks of them getting home seriously late), I switched them to an Iphone. They fought me on it. However, it had everything in one place (movies, music, books, phone calls, text, Google Maps...Find My Phone). Also, it helped DC figure out the technology (they are NOT tech savvy and don't want to be). Having everything in one place was the key.

The easiest thing is to just get the phone. Check school policy, it's different everywhere, but generally they can't use them at school. Make sure your DC knows the policies at school, activities, ect. My DC rarely pulls it out at school unless the teacher instructs them to or there is a severe emergency (that has happened once). However they have a few friends who "check their phones" when they get to school. Make sure your child knows the rules, and get the phone. It's just a matter of time.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

there are inexpensive plans with limited text/data. dd1 has done fine with tracfone $25/ 3mo no data and 1000 texts. Occasionally I have to get extra texts but its been fine and she's now in 12th grade. I'm going to switch her service to Tmobil which is $15/mo with limited data this month. I dont allow them to have social media so its fine for us.

I held off on the phone for a long long time but when they start walking 2mi to school it made me feel better. Actually, its not even to school - if they dont make it to school, I get a call within 2h. Its the going with friends places or to the library that was making me panic.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks! I told DH he was right and we would just get him a phone. Need to research whether it’s cheaper to buy through Verizon or what the catch is with those “$0 per month” ads….

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Thanks! I told DH he was right and we would just get him a phone. Need to research whether it’s cheaper to buy through Verizon or what the catch is with those “$0 per month” ads….
    Look into whether your phone is eligible for an upgrade. Sometimes they do 50/50 promo on 2nd phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Usually if you are adding a line, there are plenty of promos. They give you a credit for 36 months to "pay" for the device. An iPhone SE or a 14 should be free or pretty cheap. I get free offers for adding a line all the time. If you drop the line before 36 months, you will owe the remainder on the device.

They used to be pretty easy to give yourself the new phone and the kid your old phone, but now they sometimes balk at that and it becomes a hassle. They made a rule that the new # needs to be on the new/free phone for X amount of time or you aren't eligible for the monthly credit. They'll say they can override it, but I'm wary of anything they say in the store.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4