gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Spanish naming custom

Maybe someone here can help me with this. We are friends with a couple at our church who have been very helpful and generous over the past few years. They are going through some health issues and I would like to send them cards and treats/ flowers now and then to let them know they are in our prayers. However, I donít known how to address their correspondence. The wife has a different last name than her husband. They are from Spain and we donít know them terribly well. Once when there was a lot of background noise, the wife tried to explain to me that in Spain they have a different naming custom. There was so much noise i couldnít focus on what she said. I just want to know how to address packages and cards going to them. They are very kind but probably the most elegant people I know. So I feel stupid asking them.

Id like to add them to my address spreadsheet that I use for printing labels but i suspect Iíll have to hand- address their cards. But even then, this doesnít look right:

Mr. Roberto Macron and Mrs. Maria Rocasolano
    1234 Main St
    Smithville, WI 55545

Iím having trouble finding anything about this on the internet. Suggestions?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I address cards with different last names as The Smith & Jones Family. I have found my friends with different names donít much care about the order but do appreciate both names listed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I address cards with different last names as The Smith & Jones Family. I have found my friends with different names don’t much care about the order but do appreciate both names listed.
    This is probably what I’ll end up doing. Thank you!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It is my understanding that it would be Macron Rocasolano--at least I think that would be their kids names. So maybe Mr. & Mrs. Macron Rocasolano.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Spanish naming custom

I do this:
    The Smith Jones family
    Mary Smith and David Jones

Spanish naming customs are:
    First name husbandís/fatherís -
    last name wifeís/motherís maiden name

My husbandís family doesnít do this but it is still very common however in most cases it is just a formality and in my experience (with my work) that most people still still only use their first name and husband/fatherís last name. Their wife/motherís name only shows up on legal documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-28-2023 at 01:11 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I do this:
    The Smith Jones family
    Mary Smith and David Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I do. I stopped doing the Mr/Ms thing because it bothers me and there is a lot of opportunity to offend someone, usually women, who have advanced degrees or are divorced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just usually do the one I'm closest to (the female) and add "& family." So I'd just write Maria Rocasolano & Family. Good enough for me!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have done the double family name thing: "the Garcia-Lopez family". I've also done the spouse1 & spouse2. And also friendname & family.

I'm not of Spanish-speaking background but I've have a few friends that are. I think the Spanish naming custom is Firstname Dadsurname Momsurname: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_naming_customs
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07