AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Layover times in London, and Frankfurt?

Planning our Europe trip and we are down to two flight options, one with a Heathrow layover of an hour and 10 minutes. The arriving flight is an American flight from Dallas that arrives at 6:25 am and the departing flight is a British Airways flight from Heathrow to Oslo that leaves at 7:35 am. Is that enough time? My dad seems to think we will need more time but the itinerary didnít say terminal change. This is my preferred flight because the flight to Dallas departs from the local smaller airport (20 minutes from home) and I donít have to go to LAX (and we can Uber to and from the airport). This is also somehow cheaper than the Lufthansa option.

If we fly Lufthansa we fly direct from LAX to Frankfurt and we have a 3 hour layover in Frankfurt which I am sure will be fine, but just want to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-29-2023 at 03:03 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't feel comfortable with that connection. I don't know if there will be extra time needed because you land in the UK but are going to the EU either.
    Even in general, a 70 minute connection would make me nervous and especially so when you factor in a long haul option to a very busy airport.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I do not book 70 minute connections in the US now. I would not attempt that internationally. Take the 3 hour layover. The time goes very quickly.

No I wouldnít feel comfortable with such a short layover in Heathrow. You will have to go through customs/immigration. And it leaves no room for a delay. We are actually booked through Heathrow this summer with a slightly over 2 hour layover. DH and I are already half expecting to spend a night there if we canít make the connection. But itís on our way home so thereís no worry about missing anything. 3 hours is about the right layover these days.

Default Layover times in London, and Frankfurt?

Thanks so much for the feedback. I told my dad just to put us on the flight from LAX to Frankfurt to Oslo and then there is a direct flight home from London as well. I will deal with the idiosyncrasies of getting us to and from the airport when it gets closer (either Uber or park car at an airport hotel and spend the night upon arrival; I donít want to drive the hour plus home jet lagged).

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

No way. Heathrow is often a ****show. Youíll have to go through customs and potentially immigration maybe?

Frankfort 3 hours is better, plus itís a nicer airport too. Also time of year makes a difference, if that is during summer travel, long waits at European airports is not uncommon. I mean, long long lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    No way. Heathrow is often a ****show. Youíll have to go through customs and potentially immigration maybe?

Frankfort 3 hours is better, plus itís a nicer airport too. Also time of year makes a difference, if that is during summer travel, long waits at European airports is not uncommon. I mean, long long lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I got a few responses on Reddit that echoed this response ďto a TĒ as well. We are flying home out of LHR no matter what so hopefully that isnít crazy and will definitely plan on 3+ hours prior to departure.

I think we had just over 2 hours in Stockholm coming home from Copenhagen in 2019 which wasnít awful, but from what I could tell much smaller than Heathrow.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

scrooks is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Glad you picked the longer layover. We just got back from a group tour in Germany. One of the couples missed a connection in Paris with a 2.5 hour layover and itís the off season. Immigration can take awhile when entering the EU.