bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone else REALLY struggling to come up with wants or needs for kids this year?

Each of my kids wants like one thing for Christmas this year. None of them are terribly expensive! Aside from that, I feel like there aren't any clear needs OR wants!! I think I'm actually going to get my kids something from Heifer this year. And I still have fairly little kids (well, 10 and 12) that still like to open things on Christmas! I'm sure we'll get little items like craft supplies, maybe small lego sets? I want to get everyone a nice book. But I'm STUMPED for ideas! I feel like in the past my kids both had longer wish lists and also needed more stuff.

My SIL decided years ago against lots of presents and now just uses the money to travel with her kids. They apparently love it! I love the idea of it, but I think my kids will want to open presents on Christmas. Though since they don't want or need much, it feels a little empty?

Anyone BTDT?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, I bought an $8 box of assorted chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joe’s and am wrapping that for under the tree. Not every gift has to be exciting- especially if you know it’ll get used.
    I’d buy some board games, if you’ll play them, for the whole family to enjoy together.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I ended up getting the kids season tickets to our small amusement park (Black Friday deal of $70 for Sunday-Friday admission only during the summer.)

My 10 year old wants owl pellets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I ended up getting the kids season tickets to our small amusement park (Black Friday deal of $70 for Sunday-Friday admission only during the summer.)

My 10 year old wants owl pellets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Amusement park passes have long been on our Christmas list too. Great value. It's so nice for them to be able to just go for a few hours.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Like Snuggle boggles, I've got some things wrapped to keep things goofy. I found a blow up toddler's splash pad in my gift closet that I think would be perfect for DH when he's camping. He can put his feet on it while siting in his lawn chair. He still has one more summer of scout camp with DS3 whereas I'm scheming to have DD eagle out before then so we don't have to go. :insert evil laugh:

I almost always buy a little something for my cousins' kids around $5 for them to play with on Christmas Eve. I find I'm much more willing to go to the funerals of aunts and uncles who were nice to me so I'm buttering them up now. Last year I got them kazoos, slide whistles, triangles and other instruments. This year I couldn't think of anything creative so I"m giving them all sugary candy and rubber band guns. That should be a fun evening.

OP, ask your kids to give you some gift ideas. It's not fair that mom has to do all the creative work at Christmas. Chipping in ideas is the VERY LEAST our kids can do.

Snuggle boggles, if you have a dog, don't put the pretzels under the tree until you KNOW he won't get into them. I've learned that lesson the hard way.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post

Snuggle boggles, if you have a dog, don't put the pretzels under the tree until you KNOW he won't get into them. I've learned that lesson the hard way.
    No dogs here!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like the idea of making it simple and having stuff to open under the tree! Maybe I just need to count it as a blessing that it won't be a very expensive Christmas this year!

The only "need" either of my kids have are maybe a couple hoodies (for real, lol) for DS, since just like in the video in another post, he refuses to wear a coat and only has 1 so it gets a little ripe. But I'm also kind of pulling back from the 'needs' part, it's not that I'm replacing it with 'wants', just they were always never really appreciated and we're still weirdly wearing a lot of things from last year so in my quest to tone down all the presents it's an obvious place to cut back.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We aren’t going big this year because of our (more $$$$$ than we thought) pool repairs, and our WDW trip in early February.

Here is what I have so far:
    Dd1 (17):
    *beach waves curling iron (that I bought for 50% off in July)
    *Spotify: I am making a gift card (since Spotify doesn’t sell subscriptions) like thing on my own and will continue to pay for it until she can get the college student deal (the 3 month deal expires next week; so I will pay her I will pay for one more month at full price)
    *Emu Australia boots (like Uggs but made in Australia, and a lot cheaper!)
    *Ford Bronco sweatshirt (she saw at Tilly’s)

I think I am going to get her a passport cover, and a few vinyl records since she is getting a record player from my parents.

Dd2 (13):
    *Back to the Future sweatshirt (she saw at Tilly’s)
    *Emu boots

I still need to get the following stuff for DD2:
    *One Piece book set
    *Pokemon cards, and a binder (she filled up the one she got last year)
    *a lego set or two
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)