kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default $25ish white elephant gift ideas needed

My family is doing a white elephant gift exchange again this year. $25 max (although I think we might have said $25-30 in the past, so I'd be fine going up to $30). Last year was our first year doing it and there was definitely an odd mix of gifts. Last year, snack assortments made their way into 2 of the 10 gifts, which surprised me a little. Two other gifts were holiday-themed battery-powered decorations (think singing Santa or something like that). I found out this year that MIL googled white elephant and decided that meant that the gifts should be gag gifts or funny gifts. I told her that we had tried to find gifts that we would like to get ourselves or thought someone else in the family would like, but we could probably email everyone in the family so we're all on the same page. She didn't want us to do that so who knows what's happening there. So we're talking a HUUUUGE range of presents and types of presents will be at play!

Anyone have any suggestions on a nice $25-30 gift? (I was really hoping to figure out how I could get a 30 oz Stanley tumbler to fit in the price range, but I haven't had any luck!)

Attendees:
    7 adults (including 3 seniors), 2 college-aged girls and an almost 13yo girl

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Squatty potty, fun and functional. I know at the party we were at (where you could steal a gift up to 3 x) it was the most popular gift.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can get a Yeti insulated wine tumbler for $25. I considered this for my white elephant but ended up getting a heated throw blanket at Costco. This is for my book club where the gift is supposed to be reading tangent. Everyone drinks wine except me. I didn’t feel like going by the mall to get the wine tumbler because of the traffic so Costco was easier!

I googled this a few days ago and I was considering the vobaga mug warmer on amazon. I think the list was from Real Simple magazine but many of the lists have some of the same stuff.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This year I did a Trader Joes theme gift. Chocolate scented candle, hand lotion set, chocolates and the "mystery bag" selection (their theme bags from any TJs location in the US) - I really wanted to do the bags lol so got the rest lf the stuff to go with it. They also had other holiday things if you don't like those. I'm usually like 50/50 on these things so hopefully it ends up being a good one.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

One year, I found a package of 3 lenses that you could use on your cell phone--a telephoto, maybe some other filter type things?? It was less than $25 but very functional. You could always get other cellphone accessories with it--if anybody is outdoorsy there is a leash you can use to make sure you don't drop your cell phone off the chair lift or anywhere really. The family gag gift idea that I heard about-and would love to try at a gag white elephant party--is you buy a cheap painting at a thrift store--say a landscape painting--and then you add a few characters or effects to it. The person who gets the gift then adds their take on the painting and re-gifts it the next year, etc. The article I saw featured a family that had done this for 10 years or something! It looked like fun!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the ideas! Iím still looking for ideas to pass along to DD, but I went ahead and ordered a heated throw from Costco while it still had a $7 discount in effect, making it $27.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    This year I did a Trader Joes theme gift. Chocolate scented candle, hand lotion set, chocolates and the "mystery bag" selection (their theme bags from any TJs location in the US) - I really wanted to do the bags lol so got the rest lf the stuff to go with it. They also had other holiday things if you don't like those. I'm usually like 50/50 on these things so hopefully it ends up being a good one.
    Thanks for this idea. I have a Christmas party tonight. I got a TJs bag, some cocoa crŤme liqueur, some chocolates and body cream. Hope it goes over well

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    I did a Trader Joeís themed gift for the white elephant I went to last night. The budget was $20. I also got the mystery shopping bag package, a box of peppermint Joe Joeís and because TJís was sold out of peppermint bark I got some at target instead. My gift was stolen so I guess it was a hit!

I ended up with a shot glass roulette game from Amazon. I rarely drink and everyone there was over 40 so it seemed like an odd choice. My office is doing a trash or treasure white elephant where you canít buy something and have to bring something you already own so Iím considering bringing the roulette game if my DD doesnít want it. I donít know that anyone will be thrilled with it there either but there will probably some younger people!

Am I the only person that usually prefers the gift they brought over what you end up with?
    Last edited by Twin Mom; 12-10-2023 at 08:37 PM.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt