Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What technology does your kids’ school provide for them?

What grade? what technology? public or private?

Pre-Covid, our district didn’t give out any technology. Once Covid hit, they purchased iPads for K-7 and MacBooks for 8-12 (we have an 8-9 building, so that’s why the 8th graders got MacBooks.) Only grades 6-12 can bring their devices home. It’s been almost 4 years, and the MacBooks are getting old, and the district decided to go to entirely iPads. All of the high schoolers are pissed. DS1 is planning on taking two programming classes plus AP Computer Science next year. Can you even do those things on an iPad?

Just wondering what other district and schools do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    What grade? what technology? public or private?

Pre-Covid, our district didn’t give out any technology. Once Covid hit, they purchased iPads for K-7 and MacBooks for 8-12 (we have an 8-9 building, so that’s why the 8th graders got MacBooks.) Only grades 6-12 can bring their devices home. It’s been almost 4 years, and the MacBooks are getting old, and the district decided to go to entirely iPads. All of the high schoolers are pissed. DS1 is planning on taking two programming classes plus AP Computer Science next year. Can you even do those things on an iPad?

Just wondering what other district and schools do

K-5 take nothing home. I'm not sure if there is anything in the elementary for everyone to use during the day. I know there was a cart or two that teachers could use that had enough iPads for one class.

6-12 get Chromebooks. It's a $50 insurance fee if you want to take it home each year. DS's lid is starting to get loose. I'm not sure what happens when it falls apart. I would hope he gets a new one.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our private elementary school did not give the kids technology. They didn’t use it much at all until upper elementary. Covid was the only time they brought home laptops and we were only home Spring 2020 and were back at school Fall 2020.

Their private MS/HS has 1:1 laptops. They get a new one at the beginning of each year and turn it in at the end of the year.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Our (below average) public school district has given all K-12 students Chromebooks for quite a while. My son started kindergarten in 2019 and it had been an existing program for a while then. He has had the same one for 5 years now, but I have been told they do replace them at some point. It is up to the kindergarten teachers if they bring them home, all other grades bring them home to charge every night.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

High schooler has a Chromebook. He can take it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Elementary students use whatever's in the classroom, and no technology comes home. Middle schoolers get a Chromebook that they keep for all three years. They turn it in at the end of 8th grade, and then they get a new one to use for all of high school.

DH is a programmer. He said there are apps you can use for certain programming languages on iPads, but whatever they're doing in AP is probably going to be a problem.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our private school does not issue technology to elementary students. They have iPad carts for teachers to use if needed. Screens are rarely used in elementary grades though. Middle schoolers and upper schoolers are issued chrome books. Most upper school students bring their own laptops rather than have the school issue them chrome books.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

6-12 have Chromebooks and they can come home. There are blockers on them so certain things are not accessible, even at home.

6-8 get ipads and 9-12 get chromebooks. They get returned at the end of 8th grade and 12th grade. Some kids in high school will choose to bring their own laptop to school instead of using the school issued chromebook. I do not know what they do in elementary school now; my kids did not get any electronics when they were in elementary school.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What technology does your kids’ school provide for them?

Public district on PA. Pre-COVID 5th graders had 1-to-1 Chromebook’s in the classroom and 6th grade and up had Chromebook’s they took home each night. Since COVID all grades have Chromebook’s. Not sure if the Elem. Students take them home each night or just take them home if there is a chance of bad weather and doing a remote learning day. They get replaced ever few years but the kids do get to keep them during the summer. In HS certain classes require microsoft, adobe, or other programs that won’t run on the Chromebook’s. Those students also can use a school issued laptop. Chromebook insurance is $25 per year. Our MS and HS don’t have textbooks for most classes. Teachers give online resources and slideshows from class lectures. I do miss the kids not having physical textbooks so that I can try to help them with studying if needed. All work is submitted through Google classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ang79; 02-19-2024 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast