Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My district provides Chromebooks for each student to have at home/use at school. My school has iPads for K-1 to use at school and Chromebooks for 2-5th that stay at school. We also have a computer lab with iMacs and led by a computer teacher that all grades TK-5th visit once a week.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our previous k-8 public independent charter had laptops (MacBooks I think) for 3rd grade and up to use at school, not take home, except during covid online school.

Our current private independent 7-12th grade school requires MacBooks, but doesn't provide any.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our small private classical academy doesn’t use, teach or provide any technology. The high schoolers are encouraged to hand in their papers and essays typed and in a particular format but they don’t care how that’s done.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pre-Covid, 6-12 grades got Chromebooks to take home and K-5 had a set of chromebooks per grade that stayed at the school. The set was enough for 1 classroom to have them at the time, I believe. I know it wasn't a 1:1 ratio. And while the older kids HAD Chromebooks, they didn't really use them much for homework, etc., at least through middle school. (DS was 8th grade in Spring of 2020.) Fall of 2020, all children grade 2-12 were assigned a Chromebook and K-1 got iPads. That's what they've continued with. Once a year, the kids have to bring their Chromebooks in for IT to evaluate their condition, and they actually did an across the board upgrade this year.

ETA: now with 2 high school kids & 1 elementary school kid, I will say that the two older ones do assignments and at times get assignments after school on their Chromebooks. My elementary student only uses it at home if she wants to beat someone else in completing their iReady assignments for the week. Definitely not something she has to do, but they are expected to bring them to & from school daily.
    Last edited by klwa; 02-19-2024 at 07:55 AM.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

My kids are at two different privates. Through lower school, iPads were provided by school. At one school, kids moved to laptops in middle, the other in high school (we had to buy an iPad in middle). At both schools, MacBooks are what the schools prefer and almost all kids have

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My kids had Chromebooks. They weren't great. (Every kid swore they had "the oldest" Chromebook in the school, lol.)

They eventually got their own laptops (Windows) and used those, they could take them to school, so they just set the Chromebooks aside.

My daughter got her own MacBook senior year and my son got a more powerful Windows gamer laptop.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What technology does your kids’ school provide for them?

Dd1: high school (private, diocesan supported): has provided an IPad since freshman year. She got an upgraded one before her junior year.

Dd2: middle school (public): chrome book.

At our own home we have a MacBook Air that myself and mainly DD1 use. We also have an iPad (from 2020) that mainly DD2 uses, but I use occasionally as well. Neither go to school.

We will buy DD1 a laptop before she starts college; not sure if she will want a MacBook Air or a PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-19-2024 at 01:20 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by keh602 View Post
    Elementary students use whatever's in the classroom, and no technology comes home. Middle schoolers get a Chromebook that they keep for all three years. They turn it in at the end of 8th grade, and then they get a new one to use for all of high school.
    Same. During covid everyone could get a chrome book (elementary included) but since then it's just middle and high school that get them assigned. We're constantly asking if chrome books have been charged and have run one over to school just before the morning bell more than once.

DD mostly uses her MacBook though at home.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m kind of amazed by these answers. For as long as I have lived in my town, the high schoolers got MacBooks as freshman to use for their 4 years of high school. I think middle schoolers always had chromebooks. Post Covid, every kid gets something. K gets an iPad, 1-7 get chromebooks and 8-12 get MacBooks. For my middle schooler, she brings her Chromebook back and forth. My elementary student only brought her Chromebook home for the virtual snow day. Otherwise it stays at school. I could request she bring it home but I don’t want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What technology does your kids’ school provide for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I’m kind of amazed by these answers. For as long as I have lived in my town, the high schoolers got MacBooks as freshman to use for their 4 years of high school. I think middle schoolers always had chromebooks. Post Covid, every kid gets something. K gets an iPad, 1-7 get chromebooks and 8-12 get MacBooks. For my middle schooler, she brings her Chromebook back and forth. My elementary student only brought her Chromebook home for the virtual snow day. Otherwise it stays at school. I could request she bring it home but I don’t want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I only commented on what my kids currently have.

In (diocese supported)Catholic elementary school for Dd1 (2011-2020, and dd2 k-2, 2015-2018) in our old area there wasn’t anything provided outside of a computer lab until middle school and then the kids got a class set of mac book airs to use but they never came home.

In Dd2’s public elementary school in our old area they had chrome books in the classroom. They had the chrome books in the class and we could’ve gotten one for the pandemic but we had a laptop and an iPad which Dd2 used. Then when we moved and she started in Catholic school (again) she used the home iPad while at home and then in school they had school iPads or Chromebook for use in the class; they never came home. This year in public middle school is the first time she has been responsible for bringing a device home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast