ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Age for first concert w/ young drivers

Just curious how other mamas would approach this. DD1 (17 and HS Junior) wants to go to a concert with her new boyfriend who is 18 (but was ahead of her by 2 years in school and is currently living at home and doing community college classes). He would drive and concert is a bit more than an hour and a half away on a Friday evening. Most traveling would be on a highway into another state. Iíve met him a few times but donít know much about him beyond what DD1 tells us. They work together at a local pizza shop and have been friends since last summer. They often hangout together with a group of friends. Iím not loving this concert idea but DH keeps saying Iím being over protective. Iím not sure which bothers me more: going just with boyfriend or the late night drive back afterwards. I just keep thinking no way would I have been allowed to do that as a teen, lol. Any concerts I went to in HS were with a large group of friends and adults driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would have been allowed to do that (and did) and would let my kids do that. Yes, I have boys but I would allow a girl to do it too

eta- this person isn't brand new in her life. She has an established friendship with them. New romance? Yes. Friendship, no. My point is they aren't a stranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 02-20-2024 at 10:11 AM.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS did that at about same age. Not as long a drive in miles, but same amount in time. We insisted they pay extra to park at the venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I vote Listen to your gut.

I would not have been allowed to do that. Especially with a new boyfriend that I snd my parents didn’t know well.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My parents drove me to concerts at that age. Dropped us off at the venue and came back to pick us up. A local concert I would be fine with. I’m not comfortable with that distance at that time.

Iíd let DD go if I trusted who she was going with. This summer, DD is going to a concert in a city 2.5 hours away, and Iím insisting they spend the night in a hotel after. She and her friends will be 18.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Concerts I went to in high school were with an adult driving. But when I was 17 I was a freshman in college and went wherever I wanted whenever I wanted to. So I think that probably influences my perspective on a lot of older teen questions like this. I think the going alone with the new boyfriend I didn't know well would bother me more than an 18 (or 17) year old driving there and back.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the perspectives. My gut feeling is that Iím still not comfortable with it. And while she has been friends with the guy since last summer, up until now they have always hung out in a group with other friends at the mall or Dunkin, or seen each other while at work. I still know very little about him and also do t know his family (whereas her other good friends I know the parents). Weíve also not allowed driving farther than a local trip with friend drivers, so the distance thing is a factor too (if she was going with a female friend driving I think Iíd also be hesitant). Maybe next year Iíll learn how to loosen the strings more since she will be closer to being on her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk