AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Can anyone recommend a good supportive non underwire bra for shallow breasts?

My current favorite bra is a Maidenform t shirt bra that I measure a 34DD in (I honestly think this lone Maidenform bra runs large because I can’t wear a 34DD in any of their other bras). I have self measured using the Reddit bra measure tool and have come up a 36D or 36DD way back in 2015. I have generally been a 36D (Natori Feathers, Wacoal unlined lace, and Bali unlined lace) or 36 C1/2 (Third Love t shirt).

I went to Kohls yesterday and tried on a bunch of non underwire bras in sizes from 40B to 36D, and sized in medium to XL and nothing fit correctly or the ones that did the lining hit at the top of my breast and it caused a line and was not flattering. I don’t need a full cup and there seem to be no non underwire bras that don’t have a full cup. I would prefer something with a traditional hook in the back as I am getting tired of lifting bras over my head. I would mainly wear these around the house but they need to have lift or my boobs will look awful in t shirts.

My next local step is Macy’s. There are no independent bra shops in my area. After Macy’s it is a 45 minute drive to a mall where there is a Nordstrom, Athleta, and a Lululemon. Otherwise I am stuck buying online. Aerie could also be an option and I have their Sunny wireless bras that are okay but they are over the head, and their sizing is beyond inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-20-2024 at 04:12 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In my experience, once you get to DD you're out of luck at Kohl's, Target etc...and D is very iffy.

Soma *may* be an option for you. Macy's as well. Nordstrom is my favorite of the brick and mortar stores, along with a good independent bra shop.

BUT - if you're willing to do the 'order a lot/return a lot' to find the one - try Bare Necessities. DD wears a size that is only made by a few, in a few styles (30J anyone?) and has had luck there. It helps that she's been sized and knows her size/what fits well - I'd refresh your Reddit measurements and then order a few to see where you get.

She has also had luck, with a bunch of returning to find the right ones, with Amazon for 'comfy around the house/under big tshirts/but no underwire'. This one she likes a lot and can wear under everything but 'really fitted' t shirts and be supported enough. She wears a 6-8, and got a medium if that helps.

Good luck!

Thanks. We have a Chico's which has a small Soma section (based on what I have seen in the window), but I have never been inside. The nearest stand alone Soma is 30 minutes away and I do need to stop in there soon as I do like a certain style of their bikini underwear, and their nightgowns. I do have two over the head lace plunge no underwire bras that I got in 2019 so maybe I need to see what they currently have. I tried their regular underwire bras and I didn't really care for them; too much extra space in the cup and they insisted I was a 38B (their bands do run small, but the B cup didn't fit right either).

Your Amazon link didn't work.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wacoal can be great for larger cup sizes. They have a breast shape guide that steers you to bras that work well.

WARNING- images not suitable for work, etc. Illustrations of bare breasts.

https://www.wacoal-america.com/breast-shape-guide

You can find bargains on Wacoal bras at the Rack, TJMaxx and Marshall’s online- and all of those probably have free in store returns- perhaps by mail as well? More sizes online than in stores, typically. So you could look at Wacoal’s site for ideas and shop for bargains online.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DD was looking for some super supportive bras for sports. She's a 30DD and has a hard time finding support in an wireless bra. We ordered some new bras from barenecessities.com and were really happy with the quality. She loves the Panache Wireless bra for sports. www.barenecessities.com
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default Can anyone recommend a good supportive non underwire bra for shallow breasts?

Thank you for the Wacoal link….the photos were helpful. I did their two measurement tools (body scan, and manual measurement) and came up with two different results. The body scan (done with phone camera) sized me at 40D, and the manual one sized me at a 36G. I ordered a few of the recommended bras (a few underwire, and two of their non underwire bras) in each size through Amazon’s Try Before You Buy. Some were on sale and some were not. I have bought Wacoal before from Nordstrom Rack so I can always look there if I like one from Amazon if the price is less.

I did the Reddit one and came up with a 38C/D.

I also retried on my Third Love bras (last bought in 2019) and while they still fit fine in the band the cups are kind of funny fitting (probably from being washed in the washer and 5+ years of wear) so I redid their quiz and came up with a 36D; I was a 36C1/2 prior so it will be interesting to see if the 36D is okay. I ordered the two bras I had prior (t shirt, and plunge), and one of their non underwire bras.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,