Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh, and when he slept that first day he drooled and blood ended up all over. Keep a close eye on it while he sleeps and have him wear clothes/pillowcases that are easy to clean.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Thank you! I’ll hit the grocery store soon.
    Another question- should I expect him to sleep a ton after? His girlfriend is coming to stay at the same time (I think she wants to help him). We love her and have no problem with this plan. Just wondering though if for 2-3 days I’ll be entertaining her while he sleeps. It’s possible she might come up a few days post surgery but I’m mentally planning for her to be here the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Does he have a high pain tolerance? My DS1 was playing video games within an hour of being home lol! He had no swelling or pain at all.

I bought this face wrap ice pack which he wore immediately after. It was perfect because it comes with 4 ice packs, but you only use 2 at a time, so once the 2 get warm you can put in the next 2. https://a.co/d/csujONJ

DS1 is a bleeder (hemophilia C carrier), so I had black tea bags ready to go and he used them that first day. He bit down on one on each side of his mouth while playing video games! We kept switching them out till the bleeding stopped, which took a while for him.
    https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-h...m-teeth-remedy

When I had my wisdom teeth out I was extremely nauseous afterwards from the anesthesia. I barely made it into my bed without throwing up and remember going right to sleep for a long time after!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

My kids loved the wearable ice packs and our surgical office provided them. They also sent the kids home with smoothies. We were able to pick up the prescriptions ahead of time. Three of my kids did removals on the same day last summer. We had things like yogurt, apple sauce, ice cream, mashed potatoes and also used the blender if needed.
    Last edited by craftysierra; 02-28-2024 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Food

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Holy cow, I forgot about the swishing!! Have him swish with water every time after eating anything to prevent infection. DS forgot to do this and it was dicey.

What is the pineapple juice supposed to help?
    K

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You've gotten lots of great tips so I won't repeat all I was going to stay, but in terms of icing -- doing this well and keeping on top of it definitely matters and makes things easier! A hoodie sweatshirt works really well for keeping ice packs/frozen bags of corn/peas on -- just pull up and tighten the hood around the ice packs!

Good luck to your DS!
    Lizi

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Agree with all the soft food, bags of frozen peas/corn etc. The big thing to remember is that they can't use a straw!
    Wait, what? You can't use a straw? I'm getting mine out next month and I hadn't realized this.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 got them out last summer -- he was HUNGRY when he got out -- we went to dairy queen and got a bunch of frozen drinks however once we got them he was so numb he could not really drink them right away. Soft foods (apple sauce, pudding, yogurt). Ice packs. Then pasta etc -- he was limited in what he would eat for about a week (eg no burgers)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Wait, what? You can't use a straw? I'm getting mine out next month and I hadn't realized this.
    No, definitely don't use a straw. The vacuum effect could disrupt the clot. I think you only need to avoid them for a few days while the socket heals.

Pineapple juice is supposed to help with swelling and help with pain from swelling. I googled it and saw it come up on dentist's pages even. It's one of those, "can't hurt" things. We didn't do it for either kid, because we forgot, but I'd give it a try if you remember!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Straws can cause you to suck the clot loose, which would cause a dry socket. I ended up with a dry socket anyway, but definitely don't use a straw! DS just had a baby tooth pulled and that was the first thing on his paperwork. Don't use a straw for the first day. I think it may be longer for wisdom teeth because the baby tooth wasn't rooted like a wisdom tooth would be.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thank you all again for the info! This is very useful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast