Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shore week down the shore is completely normal for many HS graduates to do summer before going off to colleges that fall.

As far international trips? Not so much, even though we live in affluent part of town with many homes and pools, international travel as families though.. but I did go off to Europe backpacking for a month after my HS; which was inexpensive as I grew up in Europe and stayed in hostels with my friends. Back then, some other friends did longer summer backpacking trips across Asia and Australia area as their gap year where they also worked under the table..

I’m not sure what’ll happen with both my boys, as they could theoricslly stay at my mother’s house in Ireland and use that as their base throughout summer. I see it as more of post college graduation thing though which I would be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Not the norm here. I know a couple who did family trips but mostly kids are home working and going to graduation parties.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Same here.
    I’ve actually never heard of any solo teen trips (without an accompanying adult) and I’ve lived here my entire adult life.
    K

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

kids traveling with kids post HS graduation -- not the norm. My daughter said she was planning to spend a week at a lake with a group of co-ed HS friends and we told her no. We offered to host a shorter/smaller trip instead. She ound up inviting 4 girlfriends to our family lake house for a few days.

It is fairly common for graduation family trips. We did a combined DS (covid impacted/DD trip last summer - 2 weeks in London doing things the kids chose.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Some kids here will do a beach week with friends. The Europe and other travel with friends happens in college. My kids’ school does a family spring break in Jamaica or DR (not sponsored by school but about 1/2 the seniors go). They go somewhere drinking age is 18.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is a senior spring break here, at least for many of the private schools where they all go to the same place at the same time. My husband took our oldest and it was crazy. Not after graduation though, at least not as a norm. College maybe? My brother did a trip through Europe with friends after college, but I didn’t do anything like that.

After HS graduation we let our oldest pick where we went on our big family vacation and next year, my middle will get to pick. That’s our family thing
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Shore week down the shore is completely normal for many HS graduates to do summer before going off to colleges that fall.

As far international trips? Not so much, even though we live in affluent part of town with many homes and pools, international travel as families though.. but I did go off to Europe backpacking for a month after my HS; which was inexpensive as I grew up in Europe and stayed in hostels with my friends. Back then, some other friends did longer summer backpacking trips across Asia and Australia area as their gap year where they also worked under the table..

I’m not sure what’ll happen with both my boys, as they could theoricslly stay at my mother’s house in Ireland and use that as their base throughout summer. I see it as more of post college graduation thing though which I would be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I did that in your home state a lifetime ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Beach week is a thing here, my ds did a scaled down version where they went to a less popular beach and just hung out with a few friends. DD who graduates this year is not doing anything. As far as Europe, not a thing that I know of but I traveled in Europe with my cousin the summer after she graduated from Michigan and we ran into people she knew everywhere we went- mid 90s.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think it's a norm here (or if it is, I'm totally out of the loop).

DC and their friends have asked to spend two days of spring break at the beach, though. There'd be six of them and I'm honestly not sure whether we'll let DC go.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2