Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What to do with these items

While my divorce is going on, I've finally had the opportunity to reclaim items from storage that I hadn't had access to in over 15 years. I'm thrilled to find my boxes of books, old letters, and photos! But I'm stumped as to what to do with a couple of things:
    My old ski equipment. Before kids, we used to go skiing at least a couple times a year. I don't remember when I finally stopped renting and bought skis, boots and poles, but DS1 just turned 20 (how did this happen!??!!) so it was at least 21 years ago. Since having kids, I've only skied once (when the kids were 9&4) and rented because the old equipment was in storage and it was just easier to rent. The boots aren't even the right size anymore. I don't know when/if I'll ski again, but clearly this 20+ year old equipment is useless to me. What should I do with it? Is there any place to sell or donate to? Our should I just put them in the trash?? The skis and poles won't even fit in my trash can!!

My wedding dress. I loved it, it's beautiful, it's been preserved in the giant box, I'm divorced, I don't have daughters... I looked online for places to donate old wedding dresses and none of the places I found want anything older than 5 years. Mine is from 1999. Should I just take it to Goodwill?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Skis- post on your local Buy Nothing page on Facebook. Join if you don’t do social media because it’s a great way to find new homes for stuff. Trash is very last resort.
    Wedding dress- local theaters. Schools or whatever. We have an array of wedding dresses in our costume storage for the musical department at our hs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Do the angel gown places not take older dresses? I’ve honestly not looked into it but that’s my first thought on the dress. You can post it to buy nothing as well—maybe there’s someone who repurposes that isn’t part of a bigger organization with rules about age.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have a sporting good resale place nearby? Like Play It Again Sports? They would probably be the easiest thing to do with the ski equipment.

As for the wedding dress, can you contact the local high school drama department & see if they'd like it? Or a community theater?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Drop the ski equipment at a local rummage sale or post to your local buy nothing group. The wedding dress can be donated to Angel Gowns.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ski equipment on marketplace or Buy it Again Sports and I would list the wedding dress on marketplace too.
    K

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Your skis may not be safe to use. We had hand me down skis from my sister. We didn’t ski for 3 years over Covid. I took them into get them tuned and the ski place wouldn’t do it due to safety reasons. They were ex rental skis, my sister had them for 5 years and I had them for 8 years. I’d check with a ski place first to see if they’re safe before I’d donate them

Last edited by niccig; 03-04-2024 at 01:41 PM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would donate the stuff. Your skis are probably too old for Play it Again Sports. I used to donate my stuff to St. Vincent de Paul. I remember seeing wedding dresses in the window at the Out of the Closet thrift store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I gave my wedding dress to a school’s drama department.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

https://www.evefoundation.org/
    This is the organization that I have bookmarked for when I am ready to part with my wedding gown.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast