mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How block certain websites from teenager?

My DC is doing online school this year. All school calls are live meetings that take place on Zoom, and DC uses a MacBook. DC asked me to turn off access to all other websites during class time to help them stay focused and limit temptation to surf the web during school calls.

Specifically, I want Zoom always available but all other internet access turned off on DC's computer during class each day. BUT internet needs to be turned back on in between classes. I need a set-it-and-forget-it option so I don't have to go in and turn stuff on/off in between classes each day.

For example, if DC has class 9-10am, 12p-1pm, 3-4pm - all internet except Zoom should be off during those class times. In between those classes, full internet needs to be on though.

Any recs or idea how to go about this?
    Last edited by mackmama; 03-07-2024 at 11:42 PM.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

With a mac you should be able to use screentime to do this. It is built into the Apple OS.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You should be able to block all sites and only giver permission for zoom. Your DD would have to ask permission to access other sites and you would get a message asking you to grant that permission.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    With a mac you should be able to use screentime to do this. It is built into the Apple OS.
    This is what we have done for our kid’s Mac’s and online classes.
    Parental controls/screen time for only approved websites, set up with a passcode.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use the zoom app on my Mac. Is that available?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    This is what we do for DS2.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I played around with screen time, but I couldn't get it to work for what I'm talking about. I clarified in the OP that I want DC to have internet access between classes but not during class. During class, DC should only have Zoom access. So I need to set multiple schedules throughout the day (for example, if DC can have internet access from 10-11am, 1-2pm, 5-6pm etc). Mac's screen time only allows me to set one schedule per day. Anyone have an idea of how to do this? I work and can't toggle DC's internet back on between classes.
    Last edited by mackmama; 03-07-2024 at 11:44 PM.

We chose Qustodio after trying both Qustodio and Bark for our tween (Apple Screentime was a bust at completely blocking Youtube). Qustodio allows parents to block and allow sites, set screentime limits, and also set routines which sounds like what you, OP, might be looking for..."custom rules for specific moments of the day". Our user isn't as sophisticated yet, so we don't use all the features - but they were robust enough to get a paid subscription so we could apply the rules across multiple devices (iPad, MacBook, etc). I'm sure we will grow into it.