Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    I keep collecting random part-time jobs. My youngest is still in 8th grade, but I am in a very similar position. I definitely value the flexibility more than any income. Bonus for us is that DH is secure in his job and loves it which is great. He's well compensated and now has plenty of PTO. The few times I've been tempted by a full-time or otherwise "real" part-time job I end up punting because I value our flexibility so much now.

I will make a plug for one of my part-time gigs. Election worker. I started working just election day years ago, but now have worked our in person advanced voting polls, random needs at the office, and training new election workers. I started out joking about bringing down the average age, but seriously, bring down the average age, they need the help.

Good luck. I say I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, so I keep collecting random very part-time gigs and do lots of volunteer work.
    I was just pondering helping with elections or campaigns. Can you tell me more about how you got started, found out where to look…?
    I’m like you. I don’t want to lose my flexibility at this point. Dh has heaps of vacation time and I don’t want to be the one tethered to minimal vacation time and set hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I was just pondering helping with elections or campaigns. Can you tell me more about how you got started, found out where to look…?
    I’m like you. I don’t want to lose my flexibility at this point. Dh has heaps of vacation time and I don’t want to be the one tethered to minimal vacation time and set hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Our elections are administered under the Secretary of State by county. Counties of a certain size have their own election office. Our county's election office has details for being an election worker. Only requirement for us is being a registered voter and resident of the county. New workers have a four hour training session and then work polls on election day.

Presidential cycles always have higher turnouts and need more help running from the polling place perspective.

I admit to being personally contrary in my political opinions, so I rarely volunteer for specific campaigns. But I have helped out on some school board cycles where I really believed in the candidate. Those are such small organizations they will take whatever you are willing to provide.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I worded in management consulting and non profit in the healthcare sector and then was a SAHM for 8 years when my kids were little. I felt my skills generally aligned with program or project management roles when I started looking to go back to work. For me, what helped most was talking to people in my network, a lot. I ended up getting a job as a business analyst in big tech through a friend who worked there. I’ve now been working for 10+ years, still in big tech, but now in a different role. I am so grateful for my first post-break manager who took a chance on me and my friend who helped me get my foot in the door. Once you sort out your interests, skills and specific roles or employers you are interested in, definitely reach out to everyone you know. You never know who can help.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5